Have you ever spatchcocked your turkey?

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Really? I think it looks great to have the whole chicken splayed out, brown and crispy and wonderful. Seems like the turkey would be just as nice looking. Though finding a big enough platter could be tough, let alone roasting pan.

I just did a spatchcocked roast chicken for dinner a few days ago. 40 minutes at 500F, crispy skin and juicy meat. We'll be frying our turkey again this year since it's fast, delicious and opens the oven for other good things like green bean casserole. I did smoke a 25 lb turkey once (not spatchcocked) and it was amazing, though the skin came out like leather so that was pretty inedible. But it took like 14 hours. I don't mind spending half a day doing ribs or a pork butt, but I really dislike setting a 4AM alarm on the weekend (charcoal smoker).

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard somewhere that you could smoke it like normal, then torch the skin with a browning torch to crisp it up. You could also throw it in the oven on 400 for a bit, but that might overcook the actual meat of the turkey.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Saw an 11.5 lb. fresh turkey at Hy Vee so it looks like I am spatchcocking & smoking a turkey on Thursday.