Hate Iowa but see what this one says

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Weird how fans from a fan base that calls us "Clowns" and "Little Brother" come here to a our board seeking approval, adoration and affirmation of their team and program. Even those not here solely to troll seem to think we should be lighting incense at their little alters to Herkie. Just freakin' odd as hell. Nobody here wants to slobber your Hawk knobs, really, no one.

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
So, why is this thread the way it is? Honest question from a Hawk fan.......

Strength of schedule, yes ISU has a harder schedule this year, yes Iowa lost to Wisconsin when it looked like they had it in a bag, yes ISU got man handled by Iowa and only got 3 pts, yes Iowa plays a soft schedule but that really is not their fault. PSU and NW along with Purdue will be hard outs for Iowa.

In the end I think strength of schedule matters when 1, you win and are ranked, not 3-3, and 2 when you are comparing teams at the end of the year if they did not play head to head. That is just my 2 cents. ISU is a good team but not great. WVU is ranked 13 now, Oklahoma and Iowa are ranked and ISU lost to them. WVU is a good team but I would not consider them Oklahoma last year for ISU. Oklahoma State is the NW or Michigan St of the big 12. Texas barely beat Baylor and is ranked 7th. I can see ISU getting to the conference championship with a 9-3 or 8-4 record.

For the record, I think ISU is a really good team that has emerged as a school on par with performances like Iowa has every year. I can see them at 7-5 and the fans being really happy with it. And their is nothing wrong with it. Strength of schedule, get outta here clones do better than that.

Good luck and keep winning from a rational Hawk fan

I like this post but think you may not be giving OSU the credit it deserves. They've had 10 or more wins in 6 of the last 8 years. PSU has 2 in that time frame. MSU is a good comparison but they've had much lower lows. Wisky and tOSU are the only programs in the B1G with that kinda recent success. I think KSU is a better comparison to NW (except KSU has had more success). UT and Michigan are perfect comparisons (historical powerhouses with little to show in the recent despite plenty of talent... both on the upswing slight edge to Mich).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So....

ISU beats a team ranked #6 30-14 in a game that should have been more like 42-14...Iowa fans take credit because ISU played defense.

Iowa plays teams that make their QB (forget name) look good, and gets worked over by a QB that completed 7 passes last week, and we're supposed to be impressed.

Classic.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So, why is this thread the way it is? Honest question from a Hawk fan.......

Strength of schedule, yes ISU has a harder schedule this year, yes Iowa lost to Wisconsin when it looked like they had it in a bag, yes ISU got man handled by Iowa and only got 3 pts, yes Iowa plays a soft schedule but that really is not their fault. PSU and NW along with Purdue will be hard outs for Iowa.

In the end I think strength of schedule matters when 1, you win and are ranked, not 3-3, and 2 when you are comparing teams at the end of the year if they did not play head to head. That is just my 2 cents. ISU is a good team but not great. WVU is ranked 13 now, Oklahoma and Iowa are ranked and ISU lost to them. WVU is a good team but I would not consider them Oklahoma last year for ISU. Oklahoma State is the NW or Michigan St of the big 12. Texas barely beat Baylor and is ranked 7th. I can see ISU getting to the conference championship with a 9-3 or 8-4 record.

For the record, I think ISU is a really good team that has emerged as a school on par with performances like Iowa has every year. I can see them at 7-5 and the fans being really happy with it. And their is nothing wrong with it. Strength of schedule, get outta here clones do better than that.

Good luck and keep winning from a rational Hawk fan

Honestly I like ISU, but lets not pretend they are better than Iowa by saying well we would win 10 games with that schedule every year with Matt Campbell. At least that is how some fans sound on this thread and this board. ISU is fun to watch and deserves to be competative, that said, ISU is not enjoying the same success as Iowa this year. But it is not because of the schedule. It is also early on in the year. Iowa could go 8-4 and so could ISU, but who would be considered the better team? That is basically the same argument as last year. Strength of schedule is dumb considering ISU lost to 2 now top 20 teams.

If ISU and Iowa both end the year at 8-4, you ask who the better team would be?

One team can only get there by beating at least 2 ranked teams.

One team can get there without beating a single ranked team.

You tell me?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ISU should be ecstatic about Matt Campbell's future at ISU but its a little silly to define KF as utterly mediocre the last 10 years. Iowa has 8 or more wins 8 of those years, and a 11 and a 12 win season in that time frame. If that happens for ISU the fans won't call it utterly mediocre they will think of that era as the glory years and Campbell will get a statue in front of the stadium. I wouldn't even criticize those responses but don't be so disingenuous.

I guess where the mediocre comment probably stems from is, has kirk done a better job than Fry? He has had about the same wins, but with more games. Fry came into a dumpster fire at Iowa, Kirk came in after a couple bad seasons but Fry had Iowa respectable at least. Kirk proceeded to maintain.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
So....

ISU beats a team ranked #6 30-14 in a game that should have been more like 42-14...Iowa fans take credit because ISU played defense.

Iowa plays teams that make their QB (forget name) look good, and gets worked over by a QB that completed 7 passes last week, and we're supposed to be impressed.

Classic.

The quality of Indiana and Minnesota’s defenses are on par with West Virginia and far superior to Oklahoma State. However, you (and the majority of fans on this website) think that Iowa’s offense has only looked good because they have played inferior competition, then turn right around and annoint Brock Purdy as Iowa State’s next savior QB for succeeding against a comparable level of competition.

Classic indeed.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don’t know if you realize it or not, but Matt Campbell has copied a lot of what Kirk Ferentz and Brian Ferentz have been doing in order to make Iowa State competitive.

Iowa State’s bedrock is defense. At times you guys get tricky but ISU has a base D they believe in. You guys have a bunch of decent TE’s and you use them a lot like we do, down to copying Brian’s signature of putting 2 of them in motion to read coverage and to prevent slanting of DE’s into the zone running game which you also run a lot.

So you’re jealous then. Got it.

Wait...so Iowa created playing tough defense? Iowa invented 2 TE sets and an unbalanced line? Good to know. I think that they should get more credit for being a pioneer of CFB schemes.

That has to be some of the dumbest **** I've ever read on here. Campbell was an OC while BF was still living in Section 8 housing. I'm guessing that he has a lot of other more successful coaches to draw from than a 2nd year OC. Not to mention neither our offense nor our defense look anything like Iowa's.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The quality of Indiana and Minnesota’s defenses are on par with West Virginia and far superior to Oklahoma State. However, you (and the majority of fans on this website) think that Iowa’s offense has only looked good because they have played inferior competition, then turn right around and annoint Brock Purdy as Iowa State’s next savior QB for succeeding against a comparable level of competition.

Classic indeed.

Maybe those defenses are comparable. But their offenses are NOT. And as a hawkeye fan, you should know what happens when your defense continually stuffs the other team...their D is on the field all game and gets worn out.

You guys sure get defensive about piling up wins on crap teams. You knew exactly how this was going to go when the schedule came out. Just take your wins and quit trying to defend it. No one cares about the crap schedule at the end of the year, they just care about the number of wins.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Classic indeed.

We’re jealous of your **** schedule. We’re jealous. Why can’t you accept that and move on with your life? A life without Cyclone Fanatic possibly?

• Agree

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
I am a fan of both teams because I grew up in Iowa and went to a college other than Iowa or ISU and I rooted slightly for ISU to win over Iowa. Wow, what a think skinned fan base. I thought the Iowa boards were bad but this board was definitely worse! I always thought Iowa fans were condescending and entitled but maybe there is something to the little brother syndrome. I watch both teams and I can tell you as much about this Cyclone team as any of you on this board but I simply say the Hawks are starting to come together as a good team and you guys fall apart. Pathetic!

I don't have time to respond to all 10 of your posts restating the same thing so I will just quote one of them and respond.

Your misquoting what I said. I said "On the other hand Iowa fans think...." I never said it personally.

"Ohio St. played the same last two teams Indiana & Minnesota the last couple weeks and had a lot harder time with them than Iowa. If you watch the games Iowa's offensive line looks to really be coming together. On the other hand Iowa fans think the win against OSU doesn't look like much now and WVU is overrated. I think if Iowa beats Maryland like they should next weekend you have to give them credit for playing well."

Can anyone translate this for me?

• Agree

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I don’t know if you realize it or not, but Matt Campbell has copied a lot of what Kirk Ferentz and Brian Ferentz have been doing in order to make Iowa State competitive.

Iowa State’s bedrock is defense. At times you guys get tricky but ISU has a base D they believe in. You guys have a bunch of decent TE’s and you use them a lot like we do, down to copying Brian’s signature of putting 2 of them in motion to read coverage and to prevent slanting of DE’s into the zone running game which you also run a lot.

So you’re jealous then. Got it.

Good to see BF has trademarked soooo much in his 2 season as OC. Good defense is a trademark of Iowa lolololololololololol. No other team in history has built a program with a great defense. Nope only the hoks

Last edited:
  • Funny

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Classic indeed.

WVU's defense is significantly better than Minnesota or Indiana. Lol cmon man

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I didn’t think we would man-handle a team more than we did Iowa. Then we man-handled a much better team in WVU.

It makes a lot of sense to learn that Montgomery was injured the week before the Iowa game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron