Has Haluska Lost His Spot?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Cameron Lee has proved to be probably our second best defensive player. Haluska is scheduled to be back for the Baylor game, but with him not doing well offensively, do you think he has lost his spot to Lee? If you were Mac, who would you choose?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'd take Lee. His defense is much better (Haluska gets a little lost sometimes). He's got quicker hands - he had, what, four steals in three minutes in one of the games? He's also consistent offensively (not explosive by any means, but not a liability) - Haluska just hasn't panned out like what we heard coming out of the summer leagues.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Lee is a more versatile defender and with those long arms can disrupt the passing lanes. One thing that worried me yesterday though is that McD looked pretty upset when Lee shot a three, despite being WIDE open and pulled him pretty quick.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Have to admit, Lee is playing well and coming along nicely. You really have to give him the edge right now - not knowing much about Sean's siutation.

I still think (perhaps foolishly so) that once the lid comes off Haluska's shot, he'll explode. And the one thing is that he's a good defender and appears to have more build to him than Cameron, which would be very helpful in some matchups. He stands a better chance if an opponent tries to post him up.

But I think you have to say Lee has earned his minutes - and I like his speed.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Lee is a more versatile defender and with those long arms can disrupt the passing lanes. One thing that worried me yesterday though is that McD looked pretty upset when Lee shot a three, despite being WIDE open and pulled him pretty quick.

McD looks upset when a lot of the guys shoot! :smile: But Cam came out because his ankles weren't ready. The trainer just wanted to put him out there to see how they felt in a game.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's going to be situational. Sean has provided some offense in the past few games he has played with his pull up jumper, but has yet to hit the three to extend the zone. Lee provides a spark with his defense, but once the game gets into the half court he is a huge liability. I am hopeful the staff sees they have a diamond in the rough with Lee and work on his offense intensely over the off season.

Overall though, in a slower paced or zone defense dominated game, Haluska. In a more up tempo or man to man game Lee. One thing to keep in mind though is Haluska is not a bad defender by any means. Lee however seems to have that magic pick-pocket skill that not allot of players do.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Haluska can't shoot or play defense.

Lee can Semi shoot and play defense. Advantage Lee. By the way what are these guys doing that can't shoot. What do they do growing up playing in the back yard?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Apparently you know more than Gmac, since he called Haluska our second best defender, after Rashon. That was before Lee has 'emerged' so to speak over the past couple games, but still, saying Haluska can't d is simply wrong.

And he can shoot, he is hitting his pull up fairly effectively over the past few games. He needs to knock the lid off the 3 during a game and he will be fine.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I still think (perhaps foolishly so) that once the lid comes off Haluska's shot, he'll explode.

I'm still waiting for the lid to come off for Brocks explosion ... seems we get one of these guys every year.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Not gonna happen.

Hence the "foolish" description.

Can't figure it. Saw him this summer and he shot very well, nice looking shot. I know the whole competition arguement - but that can't be all of it.

Gotta believe he just has his head wrapped up in knots when he shoots and it's more mental than anything.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think Haluska needs to ask Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch where his shot went... It seems to be getting worse, at least from 3.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The fact that we are debating the merits of Haluska and Lee says a lot about where our program is right now. I love both because they are Cyclones but we need to upgrade...and we are.

CyRide3

Jul 23, 2007
Cameron didn't recently "emerge" as a good defender- he has always been that. It's just something about giving credit to a walk-on opposed to someone on scholarship. Don't know if Cyfan13 can vouch for that, but that's my opinion.

Haluska- maybe there is a reason why he didn't play as much or put up big number at the JC he previously attended. Good practice and open gym player, but does not translate when the lights come on. I saw Sean play this summer and absolutely loved his game, but it has not translated at this point.