Has COVID changed your opinion of paying college athletes?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What are now your thoughts?

• No, scholarship/housing/stipend are enough

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • Yes, they should also get paid

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Only revenue generating athletes should get paid

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was listening to Lavar Arrington talking about paying players. He said when he was at Penn State he dug they couch cushions (at a place that sounded like their Memorial Union), to try and get a couple quarters because that’s what he needed to buy a Burger King combo. He arbitrarily said a number of $20k for football players seemed to make sense to him now.
I was probably a no then, and a yes now, because it’s clearly evident how important these players are.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think the existing compensation is more than enough. Frankly most are compensated well above what their actual individual market value is (90%+ of college athletics value comes from the existing brand and alumni connection). A very select few will be able to make more at the next level, but it makes little sense to change everything just for those select few.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Seeing how AD's are freaking out about delaying/passing on football this year and their budgets, I don't think there is much extra money in the current system unless there is a ridiculous amount going under the table. There is cash at the largest and most prolific universities but it isn't in other places and in other sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think the existing compensation is more than enough. Frankly most are compensated well above what their actual individual market value ie (90%+ of college athletics value comes from the existing brand and alumni connection). A very select few will be able to make more at the next level, but it makes little sense to change everything just for those select few.

Endorsement deals are probably more fair, it's not like shoe money hasn't already twisted basketball and football already. You could argue a lot of athletic scholarships already are overcompensation given how many excellent students pay their own way with loans.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
My problem is that it is such a nuanced issue that people tend to treat as a simple issue. The NCAA has issues policing the “amateur model,” how would they police a pay model? How do you do it fairly between schools big and small that doesn’t crush school budgets? I fear the blue bloods would increase their current advantage and only certain schools could compete on a consistent basis. I don’t trust the NCAA to be able to do this in a fair and just manner.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Im all for players making money off of their likeness, but, they shouldnt get a salary. 99% of the student body would kill for the amenities that student athletes have.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I didn’t vote. My thoughts haven’t changed. I don’t think the NCCA can allow paying players because I feel like it gets messy between the women’s diving team & the football team, Alabama football vs Duke basketball vs Penn State Wrestling vs Iowa State Baseball. Just huge amounts of variables that would spiral into total unmanageable nonsense.

However, I’ve always thought players should be able to profit from their likeness. I get that they’re propped up a bit by the brand of certain programs, but whatever. I can’t imagine Tua’s situation if it was more serious. He could have absolutely sold himself during his last couple years of college, yet he was dangerously close to leaving with nothing but a “degree”, only because of a made up rule that he can’t get paid until 3 years after high school.

COVID hasn’t changed by thoughts, but it’s definitely exposed how confusing if a conversation this is.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s really simple for me. Don’t want to play for what you get out of it currently, go make your own way.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I'd just like to hear a plan besides "give the players $20k" so they can buy a hamburger, I guess.

I don't see how paying players doesn't further widen the gap between haves / have nots.

If it became legal for college players to get paid for their likeness then what's stopping Phil Knight from recruiting the #1 prospect at every position to Oregon by putting them all in Nike commercials? Also, would such a system not create the need for agents? Who would presumably try to find the best financial deal for the player and themselves?

If they get a stipend who decided how big? Individual ADs? Would Texas be able to set their own rates?

How does this issue not crush ISU football?

Last edited:

20eyes

May 15, 2020
It’s really simple for me. Don’t want to play for what you get out of it currently, go make your own way.
Where? Imo, the NFL isn't something most kids should do right out of HS. And I feel bad that the P5 is the de facto minor leagues including for kids who aren't interested in school.

But that's the situation we're in. Until the NFL decides to invest in a legit minor league system we'll be faced with the question of paying players...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd just like to hear a plan besides "give the players $20k" so they can but a hamburger, I guess.

I don't see how paying players doesn't further widen the gap between haves / have nots.

This is where i liked the idea of having a certain number of scholarships be 'super scholarships' where they would include an extra amount on top of the scholarship. You might actually promote parity because some players might opt to go 'down' a level to get one of those, so you might spread out the talent a bit more.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
This is where i liked the idea of having a certain number of scholarships be 'super scholarships' where they would include an extra amount on top of the scholarship. You might actually promote parity because some players might opt to go 'down' a level to get one of those, so you might spread out the talent a bit more.

"Super" based on what? My sense is that USC could out-super Oregon State.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
They can do whatever they want to do.

Except play football for money.

It has to be the only industry where elite talent can’t capitalize financially because of made up rules by a monopoly. Genius programmers can get scooped up without degrees. Child singers release albums. Basketball players can go overseas.

But football players need to wait 3 yrs after high school, usually while fulfilling a 3 yr unpaid internship while risking career ending injuries and scrambled brains.

I’d say let High Schoolers enter the draft & allow players to profit from their likeness when in college. Then pay doesn’t need to be discussed. Anything else is completely hypocritical to any other student or industry, in my opinion.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Except play football for money.

It has to be the only industry where elite talent can’t capitalize financially because of made up rules by a monopoly. Genius programmers can get scooped up without degrees. Child singers release albums. Basketball players can go overseas.

But football players need to wait 3 yrs after high school, usually while fulfilling a 3 yr unpaid internship while risking career ending injuries and scrambled brains.

I’d say let High Schoolers enter the draft & allow players to profit from their likeness when in college. Then pay doesn’t need to be discussed. Anything else is completely hypocritical to any other student or industry, in my opinion.

I don’t think you can just go out and be a doctor straight of High School even if Doogie Howser made us think we could. Same with being a licensed electrician or plumber or lots of things. Not arguing the process is great but the process is the process. Don’t want to do your residency/apprenticeship in college football then find something else to do.

20eyes

May 15, 2020

Let's say there was a Cadillac dealership owner in Tempe who's a big ASU booster, has tons of money...

And let's say ASU needs a QB (I have no idea of their QB situation). What's keeping this guy from calling Brock Purdy and saying, "Hey Brock, if you come home to AZ and transfer to ASU I'll put you in some of my commercials and pay you $100k."

What am I missing?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Let's say there was a Cadillac dealership owner in Tempe who's a big ASU booster, has tons of money...

And let's say ASU needs a QB (I have no idea of their QB situation). What's keeping this guy from calling Brock Purdy and saying, "Hey Brock, if you come home to AZ and transfer to ASU I'll put you in some of my commercials and pay you $100k."

What am I missing?

Personally, the football talent. ;)