Has anyone purchased a new vehicle lately, the prices are off the wall.

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No problem, I went to the site that we purchased and sold back our van, and they did not have our old one for sale, but they did have one same year, model and trim as ours, it has 6,000 less miles, 12K as opposed to 18K ours had. Their price for it is $75,995. That is more than we originally paid for ours new a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Do you get to test drive it and check it out before handing the check to the delivery driver? Something with 50k Mike’s on it could have issues and have some dings that you can’t see on the pictures.

Yes, you don't sign the paperwork until you are happy with the delivery.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Tesla delivery times are really good right now, just saying.

EVs are starting to pile up, and not without reason.
Here is an example of the nutty used car pricing:
Belzer KIA of Lakeville would like to sell you a used car for more than a comparable new car!
On their website:
NEW: 0 mi. 2023 KIA Soul LX w/ Tech Pkg: Orig. MSRP $20,965, on sale for $20,790 (incl. 'freight')
USED: 33k mi. 2022 KIA Soul LX w/ Tech Pkg: Orig. MSRP $20,225, current 'Book Value' $23,825, on sale now for just $21,485
It’s moved from silly to absurd, but, especially if financing, used car prices have been really high, compared to new,
for at least the last decade. I blame Dave Ramsey.

I mean, not really, but demand seems to have largely stripped the efficiencies from the used car market.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You just reminded me - I left my pager at home today.

I think pagers are baller. Wish they would make a comeback and we all went back to the time where “you can get a hold of me anytime you want, but all i see is your callback number and a little pager code”.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think pagers are baller. Wish they would make a comeback and we all went back to the time where “you can get a hold of me anytime you want, but all i see is your callback number and a little pager code”.
Doctor????

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020
I talked to a salesman from Wilson Toyota, I do not remember if they were charging a dealer incentive or not, but their current wait time for a Grand Highlander Hybrid was 6 months to a year. The more specific of a vehicle you want, the longer you wait. Toyota is making 1600 Highlanders a day, both regular and the Grand version, they are supposed to be ramping up the Hybrids at their plant in Indiana, but currently demand is just outpacing supply and will continue that way the rest of the year I would say.
We are currently # 24 on a wait list for a Grand Highlander hybrid at Toyota of DM. Wilson's in Ames says it could be a year as they are only getting 2-3 a month. Won't even discuss price until they have delivery and you basically have to take what color and trim package that shows up. Probably going to wait a year or two and see if market changes.

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We are currently # 24 on a wait list for a Grand Highlander hybrid at Toyota of DM. Wilson's in Ames says it could be a year as they are only getting 2-3 a month. Won't even discuss price until they have delivery and you basically have to take what color and trim package that shows up. Probably going to wait a year or two and see if market changes.
I was told basically the same thing from all the dealers that I talked to in state. You pay $500 to get on a waiting list, and then when one comes in, they work their way down the list to see if anyone wants the vehicle. People that wanted the gas version had less wait time than those that want the Hybrid like me. I was told to get a hybrid the wait time was anywhere from 12 to 24 months and would be lucky to get the color and trim package that I wanted.

Then I found the allocation list posted on a Reddit site and started calling around to find what I wanted. I had no problem waiting for 5 or 6 months to get a new vehicle, but 12 to 24 months without getting exactly what I wanted was asking a little too much.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The hell??? That would get my middle finger as I'm walking out. Garbage.
From every dealer I talked to over the past month, the deal is basically the same in all of them. If you are willing to pay to get on the waiting list, you pay, and there is no guarantee of color or trim package, and they set the price and you can go from there, trying to get it cheaper. If you do not want that color or trim, then they work their way down the list to someone that will take the vehicle. The hybrid is very difficult for most dealers to get, and those that they get it are generally spoken for. If a dealer has one or is getting one, and it's not presold, then you can try to purchase it through them.

I got an email today from a dealer around Chicago that I had been working with, they had two grand highlander hybrids that were in their allocation list that just came out, I could have purchased either of them, but we never talked price. Dealers in larger cities are getting more hybrids, and in larger numbers, if you want to purchase one of those, you need to be talking to dealers in Chicago, St. Louis and elsewhere that sells a lot of vehicles.

Each Toyota dealer gets a new allocation sheet on the 1st and 15th of each month, it tells them the vehicles they are getting, make, model, trim, color. If you want a specific trim or color they can trade with another dealer if one has what that dealer wants from their allocation sheet, but it's up to the dealer.

Last edited:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I remember getting annoyed about ADMs (additional dealer markups) in 2020. It seemed like such a scam.

But taking the other side, the dealers couldn't justify selling a car for X, knowing the buyer could just flip it to Carvana a few days later and make $5-$15k.

With the benefit of hindsight and a few years of inflation, paying an ADM in 2020 would've been a great deal!

(Nevermind the fact that I could've essentially owned a car for free for 3+ years since depreciation would've been zero).

• Agree
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
That is what the guy told me at the courthouse this morning, I showed him the email that I got from my son that had the sales tax listed in the purchase agreement, and he told me that was the same as you would have paid in Iowa, and just be sure to have them write in on the purchase order that I had paid the tax on the vehicle in S. Carolina.
So, the only thing I will be paying when I register it is the regular registration fee, is what I was told.

I suppose the states have some type of agreement that transfers the money back to the state or something like that.
If you are purchasing the vehicle out of state and financing it, they will collect your states tax rate, and then refund it back to you for you to take to your courthouse. If you pay the taxes down there, there is nothing they can do to show IA that you paid the taxes. You will still get hit with a 5% bill when you go to register it. If the dealer collects it, then it should be refunded back to you at a later date.

If you are paying cash/check/etc, they shouldnt need to collect tax from you. Just my 2 cents worth. Also FWIW, SC has a 6% tax rate on vehicles

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx