Hard Flooring

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So essentially use the flooring material to create a break instead of t-molding?

Also, is there any set standard for what direction you need to run the flooring? I was told to run it the length of the longest edge of the room/house? Do you have to run it that way throughout even if it means running it "against the grain" of a hallway?

Yep...I have never personally put in hardwood but worked around it many times. The homes that I worked in, they used all hardwood for the pieces. In some cases you may need thicker boards, say for thresholdings.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Here is a rough drawing of my main level. I need to lay floor in the front two rooms (at the bottom), front entry way (bottom center) and hallway, living room (upper left) which connects into the kitchen area (upper right), 1/2 bathroom to the left off the hallway, small closet to the right of the hallway, laundry room/breeze way to the right off the kitchen area, and small kitchen pantry closet (i left it off the picture, but its on left side of kitchen). Hope this makes sense. The floor joists run north and south in this photo. My home is about 6-7 years old and has a plywood subfloor. The main thing I am struggling with now is whether I would want to run flooring north and south because of the hallway.

Image001.jpg

Last edited:

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
Diagram doesn't really matter!! Run the wood perpendicular to the joists, as recommended above.

Also, to correct other advice on here, carpet is not the problem when people have allergies. Maintenance is the problem. Just like people need to sweep to keep the dust level down, you must actually use the vacuum if you have carpet. Carpet, with a high quality pad and daily vacuuming, is every bit as good for people with allergies.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Diagram doesn't really matter!! Run the wood perpendicular to the joists, as recommended above.

Also, to correct other advice on here, carpet is not the problem when people have allergies. Maintenance is the problem. Just like people need to sweep to keep the dust level down, you must actually use the vacuum if you have carpet. Carpet, with a high quality pad and daily vacuuming, is every bit as good for people with allergies.

So, are you saying to run perpendicular to joists even if it means running perpendicular to the length of a hallway? i'm not sure how that would look, but maybe it doesn't matter.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
So, are you saying to run perpendicular to joists even if it means running perpendicular to the length of a hallway? i'm not sure how that would look, but maybe it doesn't matter.

OK. Here you go: Don not put any wood or laminate in any bathroom or laundry that you want to remain looking nice for a long period of time. Any moisture on top, seeping water leak around the baseboards, and high humidity then low humiditty will eventually damage, ruin, and suck the life span out of the floor.

Regaurdless of previous threads, do not install any solid & nailed down flooring parallel to the floor joists. Always go perpendicular, or possibly at a 45' angle. Nailed down flooring will follow the wavy subfloor and this will look terrible. This may not be the best look for a given room, but will look alot better than a wavy floor.

Some laminates are better than others. Pets are bad on floors. Size and activity level of pets does make a difference.

If you have pets, and you buy real hardwood and want it to remain looking like the day you put it in, you might be in for a surprise. No flooring company or manufacturer will warranty for abuse, negligence, or pets.

You shouldn't need transitions between rooms for nailed down solid flooring. It is only if you have laminate floating floor, and then not mandatory. You could install a "header" piece of solid flooring between rooms to create a different room effect.

I'd reccomend tile for bathrooms and laundry areas.

21yr veteran

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006

Yes, if you want it to last and have a warranty, perpendicular to the joists. Going the other direction would be considered an unprofessional installation and would void the warranty on the finish.

I can't count the number of times people have told me a hardwood job would look funny running the short way, but then later realize that their current house has it installed that way and they never even noticed. You'll see the beauty of the wood, not the direction of the plank.

jeff0514

Apr 12, 2006
Ankeny, ia
Does anyone know anything about flush mount floor vents? I wanted to get some for our bamboo floor but sounds like they have to be custom made and would cost well over $100 a piece! Anyone recommend a particular type for bamboo?

Alcyclone

Jan 2, 2012
We are contractors and install lots of floors. Do not buy the cheap stuff. If you want good laminate flooring that will stand up go with something like Mannington and don't think that you can beat the system and buy cheap. it always turns out the same.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Does anyone know anything about flush mount floor vents? I wanted to get some for our bamboo floor but sounds like they have to be custom made and would cost well over $100 a piece! Anyone recommend a particular type for bamboo?

We can get some. Pretty sure they don't get up to $100 unless you have strange sized vents. If you post the size, I can PM you on a price (if you're still looking for them one year later:smile:)

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
So essentially use the flooring material to create a break instead of t-molding?

Also, is there any set standard for what direction you need to run the flooring? I was told to run it the length of the longest edge of the room/house? Do you have to run it that way throughout even if it means running it "against the grain" of a hallway?

Just talked to my floor guy this AM, he has been a friend for 40 years, I asked the same question, his reply, "usually opposite the floor joists"

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
Engineered hardwood. Good value, the perfect compromise between laminate and true wood flooring. But don't go super cheap. Like almost every category of every product sold in America, super cheap is usually super poor.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron