Hallice Cooke commits to Nevada

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Chris, didn't you say on a podcast a few weeks ago that Hallice had to leave the NCAA to have his school paid for? is he walking on at Nevada?

I thought he said he just couldn't play next year unless he left the NCAA.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I thought he said he just couldn't play next year unless he left the NCAA.
Could've swore he said he couldn't even drop down to d2/d3 and be eligible which isn't normally the case. Even referenced the NCAA rule book. It's entirely possible I misunderstood him though.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
I think you did. He was talking about immediate eligibility. So he's gonna lose a year but his school will be paid for.

Could've swore he said he couldn't even drop down to d2/d3 and be eligible which isn't normally the case. Even referenced the NCAA rule book. It's entirely possible I misunderstood him though.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Good Luck to Hallice. I'll be rooting for him. Unfortunately Neveda isn't on TV very often to see him play after next year but, hopefully, he'll get an opportunity for minutes and can show his shooting ability. Feels like a good landing spot for him.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I think you did. He was talking about immediate eligibility. So he's gonna lose a year but his school will be paid for.

Correct. I said he has to leave NCAA if he is going to play NEXT YEAR. If he sits out next year, he can play as a senior.

Gotch. That clears it up. Normally a player can transfer down to D2 and be eligible right away. That's where my confusion was.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Freshman - plays at Oregon State
Redshirt - sits out (ISU)
Sophomore - plays at Iowa State
Junior - sits out (Nev)
Senior - plays at Nevada

Wish Hallice all the best but I feel bad for the kid that he has to sit and burn a year of eligibility and that he's gonna end up going to 3 colleges

• Funny
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I dont understand the transfer honestly unless Prohm told him he would play limited minutes the rest of his career. With 4 guards graduating next year there would have been opportunities for playing time his senior year.

So he stays at ISU, plays limited minutes next year, then gets a shot for extended minutes in 2017, or goes to Nevada, doesnt play at all next year, plays starter minutes in 2017 on an average team with no fan base or TV exposure.

So basically he's willing to leave to play 30 minutes instead of 20 his senior season on a team who has no shot at getting to the tournament vs a Top 25 team who is a Sweet 16 contender every year.

Doesnt make much sense to me.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I dont understand the transfer honestly unless Prohm told him he would play limited minutes the rest of his career. With 4 guards graduating next year there would have been opportunities for playing time his senior year.

So he stays at ISU, plays limited minutes next year, then gets a shot for extended minutes in 2017, or goes to Nevada, doesnt play at all next year, plays starter minutes in 2017 on an average team with no fan base or TV exposure.

So basically he's willing to leave to play 30 minutes instead of 20 his senior season on a team who has no shot at getting to the tournament vs a Top 25 team who is a Sweet 16 contender every year.

At the very least he stays at ISU this year, plays like 5 minutes a game and then goes the grad transfer route. Hallice would rather lose a year of eligibility than play 5 minutes a game at ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
At the very least he stays at ISU this year, plays like 5 minutes a game and then goes the grad transfer route. Hallice would rather lose a year of eligibility than play 5 minutes a game at ISU.

Makes me think that he really, really didn't like it here last year.
Otherwise, your plan makes a lot of sense to me as a dude sitting at his computer.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah he wasn't gonna get much time this year. Probably would have had a hard time next year, too. Saw the writing on the wall.

Best of luck to him.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

There's more to the story.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Cooke wasn't recruited here by Prohm, he was a Fred guy maybe that's having an impact as well. Clearly he and CSP didn't see eye to eye at times this year. Still seems odd that he is wasting a year, maybe he wasn't exactly welcome to come back? Maybe he's not on schedule to graduate after next season? Definitely more to the story than we have heard but it doesn't really matter now. I wish Hallice luck at Nevada, even with the issues he had this season, he always seemed to be upbeat and enjoyed being a Cyclone.