NFL: Hall of Fame Finalists Released

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Rule of thumb as you consider this list... if you have to make an argument for any of these, they don't belong. They may get in but they don't belong.

Hall of Fame should be for the no-brainers.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
1. Brian Dawkins
3. LaDainian Tomlinson
5. Don Coryell (coach)
6. Kurt Warner
7. Terrell Davis
15. Kevin Mawae

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I believe 5 from the final 15 are selected each year. I'd take

1. Brian Dawkins
3. LaDainian Tomlinson
5. Don Coryell (coach)
6. Kurt Warner
9. Terrell Owens

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I believe 5 from the final 15 are selected each year. I'd take

1. Brian Dawkins
3. LaDainian Tomlinson
5. Don Coryell (coach)
6. Kurt Warner
9. Terrell Owens

Five are selected, and then those five are then voted on a yes or no basis where they must receive an 80% yes vote for election.

If I had a vote, I'd take:
1. Brian Dawkins
3. LT2
6. Kurt Warner
9. TO
7. Terrell Davis

I think Jason Taylor is going to have to wait his turn. Maybe next year for him. Very good player, but I'm not sure he was even the best defensive end in his own era. The two I struggle with are Warner and Terrell Davis, but what puts them over the top despite the limited resumes is that it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats. Warner's Super Bowl run with the Rams was one of the best stories in NFL history, and if it weren't for Santonio Holmes making the catch of his life at the right time then Warner would be a two time SB champion. Davis's career was cut short by injury, but when he was healthy he was prolific. Check out his numbers over three seasons from 96-98 - 5296 rushing yards and 49 TDs, good for a 4.8 YPC. Plus a 2000 yard season, an MVP award, and two Super Bowl rings. All that from a sixth round pick. That's a story that belongs in the Hall. Morten Anderson was tough to leave off the list, but I believe the next PK to make it will be Adam Vinatieri.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
Charger fan here, LT should be first ballot and Coryell should finally make it

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Charger fan here, LT should be first ballot and Coryell should finally make it

The problem with Coryell is that he should be inducted as a contributor to the game, not as a coach. His overall record as a head coach was good but not great and he never got his team to a Super Bowl. Coaches are generally going to have a tough time getting in because there's such a large backlog of deserving players.

But as a contributor, it's a no brainer. Bill Walsh always got a lot of credit for the west coast offense, but Coryell's offense was the foundation for the modern NFL passing game.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
1. LT
2. Terrell Owens
3. Kevin Mawae
4. Brian Dawkins
5. Isaac Bruce

Just missed: Kurt Warner, Morten Anderson, and Jason Taylor.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
LT is a no brainer. He is arguably the greatest all around RB in history. TO, statistically is a top 3 receiver all time. He won't get in simply for his off the field antics(Being a Male diva).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
LT is the only no brainer for me. I remember using him as a receiver in Madden because his speed was a 99.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
LT is a no brainer. He is arguably the greatest all around RB in history. TO, statistically is a top 3 receiver all time. He won't get in simply for his off the field antics(Being a Male diva).

I think this is the year for TO. He would have made it last year if he hadn't been such a difficult personality during his career. But the stats are there, as well as the signature plays and moments. The only thing missing is the ring.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Which is BS. HOF isn't supposed to be about that stuff. It's about what you did on the field and his stats are there with some of the best WR's of all time.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Congrats to TD!

terrell-davis-kris-rothstein-story-vegas.jpg