Gundy (update: and ADs) say 1 to 2 years left of OSU/OU Bedlam

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I mean that could be true, I am not saying it's not. But I think Jamie has talked about changing or ending it in the past and Barta said no.

I think you have this the other way around... Barta would love to end the series.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think you have this the other way around... Barta would love to end the series.
Maybe. Maybe somebody will back me up on what I heard. I fully admit I could be wrong. I things are changing and stuff but we have had this same conversation about it ending for literally over a decade. I guess we'll see.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I’m assuming it’s because they will have to play more conference games
Wasn't there also talk that that scheduling alliance they started with the Pac and ACC require them to play at least one OOC against another one of those conferences each year? I don't see Iowa being happy if they need to play 2 P5 teams in the OOC. Maybe even 3 if they require both an ACC game and Pac team in the same season.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Maybe. Maybe somebody will back me up on what I heard. I fully admit I could be wrong. I things are changing and stuff but we have had this same conversation about it ending for literally over a decade. I guess we'll see.
Barta said 'as long and Jamie and I are ADs at the respective schools the series will remain'. But reading between the lines, if Barta is no longer there, the party is over.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wasn't there also talk that that scheduling alliance they started with the Pac and ACC require them to play at least one OOC against another one of those conferences each year? I don't see Iowa being happy if they need to play 2 P5 teams in the OOC. Maybe even 3 if they require both an ACC game and Pac team in the same season.
I imagine after the B1G was having an LA affair, that "alliance" doesn't mean ****.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Jamie spoke in one of my classes (albeit over 5 years ago, so take it FWIW), but one of the things he told us is that both he and Barta would both personally lean towards ending the annual series, but the potential political fallout is what's keeping them from pulling the plug.

Removing the Iowa game would give him freedom to schedule games with other regional power 5 teams like Illinois, Minny, Nebby, Mizzou, etc. That added flexibility seemed appealing to him.

EDIT: This isn't to say that Jamie NEVER wants to play Iowa. I don't want it to get twisted like that, but just that there was a mutual desire to not do so every single season.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Jamie spoke in one of my classes (albeit over 5 years ago, so take it FWIW), but one of the things he told us is that both he and Barta would both personally lean towards ending the annual series, but the potential political fallout is what's keeping them from pulling the plug.

Removing the Iowa game would give him freedom to schedule games with other regional power 5 teams like Illinois, Minny, Nebby, Mizzou, etc. That added flexibility seemed appealing to him.

I'd be in favor of a two years on two years off just to get some variety in the schedule. I don't think you end it, but changing it up a little would be nice.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

While that sounds good...the result would most likely be playing an additional MAC team or the like. Guarantee what appealed most to him was the thought of an extra home game (not having to trip to Iowa City every other year).

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
I thought the Iowa legislature played a role in getting the Iowa/ISU series resumed so looked this up.
Sounds like there was threats/demands by the legislature and governor but doesn't say how much force there was behind John Murray's resolution. It's missing recent game history (written in 2017) but pretty good article from ISU perspective.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd be in favor of a two years on two years off just to get some variety in the schedule. I don't think you end it, but changing it up a little would be nice.
As someone that goes to away games I agree.
Not a full cancel but maybe 4 games in a decade.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Get rid of the Iowa State-Iowa, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, Texas-Texas Tech rivalry games and load it up with more Iowa-UCLA, Oklahoma-Ole Miss, Texas-Vanderbilt!! Hell yeah! That’s definitely what everyone wants.

Reactions: VeloClone

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
While that sounds good...the result would most likely be playing an additional MAC team or the like. Guarantee what appealed most to him was the thought of an extra home game (not having to trip to Iowa City every other year).

Could very well be. Just sharing how I remember him framing it to us...

Reactions: cyfanatic