Gundy (update: and ADs) say 1 to 2 years left of OSU/OU Bedlam

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If I'm Brett Yormark, I'm pushing to preserve/restore as many rivalry games as possible. Rivalries drive TV ratings. This is just Oklahoma State being spiteful. I'd like to see us get Missouri back on the schedule.
Yeah, I don't understand some Cyclone fans dislike for the Iowa game. From a game week atmosphere, there is no better time than rivalry week. It doesn't have to be "the biggest game" on our schedule, to still be a fun game for fans.

If there was one thing I could change with college football is non-con scheduling. It would be nice if those games did't count from a bowl eligibility standpoint. Or coaches weren't driven by the need to win non-con games to protect their jobs.

Would love for ISU to play UNI/MAC, Iowa and Mizzou, CU, NW, Whisky. Neb or Illini among our 3 non-con games

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
There's a lot of smoke that the new Big 10 schedule is going to push Iowa to drop the CyHawk game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens.
Interesting. We better be on the win side when it ceases. Also, Iowa Legislature has some say, no? Or has it always been bark?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
There's a lot of smoke that the new Big 10 schedule is going to push Iowa to drop the CyHawk game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happens.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the state legislature steps in at that point as well. If the Iowa legislature wants the game, it will happen. Nothing the Big 10 can do to stop that.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I also wouldn't be surprised if the state legislature steps in at that point as well. If the Iowa legislature wants the game, it will happen. Nothing the Big 10 can do to stop that.
Until they get paid to not want the game.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Interesting. We better be on the win side when it ceases. Also, Iowa Legislature has some say, no? Or has it always been bark?
I feel like the legislature won’t be able to force it if the Big Ten is against the game.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I feel like the legislature won’t be able to force it if the Big Ten is against the game.
I fully believe what you typed above. All smoke of stopping the series before this realignment ********, was the Iowa Legislature would require them to play. Good riddance as long as we win the last one.

Reactions: cyfanatic

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Some schools that left a conference didn't even consult Regents did they? I can't imagine legislature doing much.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Yeah, I don't understand some Cyclone fans dislike for the Iowa game. From a game week atmosphere, there is no better time than rivalry week. It doesn't have to be "the biggest game" on our schedule, to still be a fun game for fans.

If there was one thing I could change with college football is non-con scheduling. It would be nice if those games did't count from a bowl eligibility standpoint. Or coaches weren't driven by the need to win non-con games to protect their jobs.

Would love for ISU to play UNI/MAC, Iowa and Mizzou, CU, NW, Whisky. Neb or Illini among our 3 non-con games

The governor appoints the Board of regents, who oversee Iowa, ISU and UNI. They approve spending and contracts. I bet they can keep the series alive, which is good for the state.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
If I'm Brett Yormark, I'm pushing to preserve/restore as many rivalry games as possible. Rivalries drive TV ratings. This is just Oklahoma State being spiteful. I'd like to see us get Missouri back on the schedule.

It's not worth it for OSU to load their schedule with another P5 team... I can gurantee you neither OU or OSU want to commit to this game every year. It sucks but it's the new norm with realignment. CyHawk will be done too when UCLA and USC join the B1G.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

CyHawk will be done in 2025. Iowa has been looking for reasons to end it and now they have it...

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Apr 19, 2006
As these conferences explode in size I can see all non-conference games going away. It would keep all of the money inside of the conference. Not to mention all the games would mean more as it would be going against their conference record.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I always thought that smoke exists but Barta wants the series to keep going more than people realize.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The governor appoints the Board of regents, who oversee Iowa, ISU and UNI. They approve spending and contracts. I bet they can keep the series alive, which is good for the state.

I'm pro CyHawk but the bolded is perceived value.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I hope it happens, I am all for ending the series.

Reactions: 06_CY