Greetings from BYU Country

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
We’ve got nearly 450,000 Mormons here in Arizona and essentially ALL of them are big BIG BYU fans. That’s a good number of eyeballs watching any televised games. Someday…if the Big 12 is stable enough and paid enough…they could be a factor in attracting ASU/UA to the Big 12.

Of course, I don’t think ISU will still be here when that comes to fruition…but would still love to see it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Welcome, friend!
Reminds me of a story. When i was a student, i didnt care much for STA by campus- too much singing and CLAPPING for gods sake. Im from dubuque county, and i want a 30 minute Mass. None of this hippie crap.
So i headed up north to the other Catholic church, st e.a.seton i think. Knew the general area but not well. Drove up there, saw big church, parked, started heading in. But people were walking out. Did i get the Mass time wrong?
Got in the door and there are ushers, like a bunch, guarding the inner doors. One saw me looking confused and said can i help you? I asked what church is this, and of course his response was this is the church of jc of lds.
i was really embarassed and kinda afraid i was gonna get the hard sell from 12 pent up proseltyzers, so i panicked and just did an absolute abe simpson and spun out of there without a word.

Also, welcome OP. Looking forward to having a great excuse to go see the parks etc in Utah in a couple years.

I know it's not the point of the thread, but I agree with you on STA and preferring St. Elizabeth Anne Seaton far better.

Reactions: CascadeClone

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Before covid hit, the wife and I were thinking of doing a road trip to SLC to catch a Jazz game when Niang was playing for them. When I was researching the city, it sounded like they have a pretty decent craft beer scene.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Why are there so many hot Mormon moms? How come there are so many very good looking Mormon women in general? What the heck is in the water in Utah?

Well it helps if a fair amount of your Mormon moms are 18!

• Haha
Reactions: BigCyFan

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
In all reality, We enjoyed our time in Utah (04-08). We even lived in rural Utah, which had its interesting moments. In all it was a net positive for us. Had we lived further north in the SLC/Provo/Orem corridor, we might of never left (and we are mostly lifelong Iowans). The employees I worked with had a strong sense of family, were morally grounded, and had a great POV on work / life balance.

All religions have their fringes that garner the press and it would be easy to stereotype a group of people based on the crazies. True story, lived in Utah for 3+ years and wasn’t visited by missionaries once. Within one week of moving into our house in Iowa, we had missionaries at our door (they saw the Utah plates).

The scarcity of alcohol was a challenge (local liquor store sold a 6er of regular Sam Adam’s for $12). We adjusted by making regular runs to Las Vegas to stock up.

Looking forward to having BYU in the fold and the opportunity to go back and visit.

Frog

May 6, 2021
I love college football. I love our Cyclones more than anything but watch many other games like most of you and have watched BYU play many times late nights! Never watched Jim McMahan but remember Ty and others who could sling the ball! I am very happy they are in Big12!

I have a history lesson on BYU that many don't know unless you have been to Nauvoo. I live in eastern Iowa not far from the Miss. While driving home from weekend in St. Louis along the river my wife and I stopped in Nauvoo. We are not LDS but stopped there to eat and check out the historic town on the Miss. I went into a museum and found the truth about BYU name.
LDS was getting pressure to leave Nauvoo. Scouts went west and ended up in Utah. They found a beautiful place to stake claim. They telegrammed back to Nauvoo and said this. "We found new beautiful land and will set up homes, church and a school! We need one thing immediately! Bring lots of women and bring them young!" Back in Nauvoo they typed and reported to LDS church the telegram but it was wrong. It stated we are going to set up church and school Brigham Young. The Brigham Young family heard this and rejoiced and the name stuck." The real history of the BYU name. Mystery what the name of the school was really going to be?

Last edited:

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Never watched Jim McMahan but remember Ty and others who could sling the ball! I am very happy they are in Big12!

I have a history lesson on BYU that many don't know unless you have been to Nauvoo. I live in eastern Iowa not far from the Miss.

1) Welcome to the Big 12

2) Astounding it's been 40 years, but Jim McMahan had a Heisman-esque season his senior year 1981 for BYU, but BYU refused to promote him for the award for this alleged quote to the media:
"I like beer and women"

3) In 2002 we scheduled a pre-planned side-trip to NAUVOO while we were in the area
They advertised tours for the public for their newly-built temple.
~We were curious (I'm Catholic; spouse is Presbyterian).
~reservations well in advance online. (tour dates spanned several weeks)

I was blown away by the tour---the quality of construction--the investment in this structure was crazy.

I understand since 'outsiders' tainted this hallowed building after traipsing through for weeks--every room was eventually cleaned and repainted in the temple, and it wasn't available for any more outsiders--forever

Attachments

• 1632285202117.png
    1632285202117.png
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 26

Frog

May 6, 2021
1) Welcome to the Big 12

2) Astounding it's been 40 years, but Jim McMahan had a Heisman-esque season his senior year 1981 for BYU, but BYU refused to promote him for the award for this alleged quote to the media:
"I like beer and women"

3) In 2002 we scheduled a pre-planned side-trip to NAUVOO while we were in the area
They advertised tours for the public for their newly-built temple.
~We were curious (I'm Catholic; spouse is Presbyterian).
~reservations well in advance online. (tour dates spanned several weeks)

I was blown away by the tour---the quality of construction--the investment in this structure was crazy.

I understand since 'outsiders' tainted this hallowed building after traipsing through for weeks--every room was eventually cleaned and repainted in the temple, and it wasn't available for any more outsiders--forever
We never went in the temple but spent some time in town and it is a beautiful old river town. What I did learn in the museum was B. Young lived in Montrose, Iowa then moved across the river to Nauvoo then headed west when pushed out of there. Quite the story. A friend of mine converted to LDS then married. He actually told me the joke I wrote above. He didn't go to BYU but his wife did and his youngest is a sophomore there now and says games are electric. I do plan to go out there for one of our away game travels.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Rhoho took your username and barely edited it to try and confuse people.
Lots of fanbases have idiots.

The same could be said for you and JM4CY but since you both are reasonable posters and really don't partake in much controversy or trolling...well I guess there's really nothing to discuss.