Greatest year of American pro sports ever?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not a huge hockey fan, so excuse leaving it out, but have there ever been 3 American pro sports championships in a row that are even in shouting distance of Cavs, Cubs, Patriots this past year? I don't think it's even close that we've never seen and may never see again 3 championships like this.

- Warriors break record for best regular season of all time. Cavs become first team in NBA history to win a finals after being down 3-1 in the Finals led by a player who is now without argument at least top 3 of all time. First title ever for franchise.

- Cubs dominate regular season, then win on the road in extra innings in game 7 to win first world series in 108 year draught. Enough said.

- Patriots down 19 in 4th quarter get a FG, 2 TDs and both 2 point conversions to then steamroll into OT. Become possibly greatest NFL dynasty in doing so or at least enter the conversation as a top contender.

Come on? That is ridiculous. I'm a Cubs fan but if you weren't pulled in as a casual fan by the other two you just aren't a big football or basketball fan. I've never seen 3 major sports championships anywhere near that exciting, close and historic one after the other. Two Game 7s, extra innings, overtime.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
In my opinion it's gotta be up there.
Plus Serena is still dominating, Dustin Johnson and Spieth, and Phelps at the Olympics.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The two best teams, Warriors and Falcons fell apart, so no. Plus, NE has a legacy steeped in cheating.

The Cubs, one of the wealthiest teams in baseball won with a top 6 payroll, about time. Frankly, the small budget Royals bringing small ball back to baseball is a much better story.

Serena and Federer are probably the best stories.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I would throw the CFB Championship in there as well. Clemson coming back and Watson having a Vince Young like moment to upset Alabama will go down as an all timer for me.

I would agree though, this was the best year of championships across the board in a calendar year that I can remember. As a Cubs fan, I will definitely never forget about it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
In my opinion it's gotta be up there.
Plus Serena is still dominating, Dustin Johnson and Spieth, and Phelps at the Olympics.

Agree with all of this. Plus throw in Katie Ledecky....a freaking stud in the pool. Also Simon Biles.

The other thing the OP didn't mention was there were iconic moments such as the Lebron block. I'll never forget that the rest of my life.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The two best teams, Warriors and Falcons fell apart, so no. Plus, NE has a legacy steeped in cheating.

The Cubs, one of the wealthiest teams in baseball won with a top 6 payroll, about time. Frankly, the small budget Royals bringing small ball back to baseball is a much better story.

Serena and Federer are probably the best stories.

I bet you're just a riot at parties.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You forgot the best game of them all: Villanova-Carolina National Championship game. Best National title game ever. (Yeah I know it isn't pro, sparingly watched the other three and college is better.)

I wouldn't put UNC-Nova at the top, but it is almost criminally underrated because of everything else that happened. Gordon Hayward's near-miracle is maybe the great "what could have been" moments in championship history, but Paige's insane three followed by Jenkins' buzzer-beater is about as close as we may ever get to something that crazy actually happening in the national championship game.

Also, Clemson's second-half comeback and win on the final play of the game to knock off 'Bama. Coastal Carolina won the CWS. Leicester City won the EPL for the first time in its 132-year history.

If this wasn't the best sports year ever, I don't know how anyone handled one that was better.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18