Greatest Athlete

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I heard a commercial or somewhere claiming that UFC fighters were the best athletes in the world. Im not sure I agree with that but I thought it raised a good topic to discuss. I've always considered football players or basketball players to be better athletes I guess, although my HS wrestling coach claimed collegiate wrestlers were the best athletes.

Athlete defined: Athletic: having to do with athletes; physically active; having a muscular, well developed body, being in shape; An attribute of a motion or play which requires fine physical ability

Also, for a while I considered Usain Bolt to be perhaps the best athlete. In many countries, "athletics" is track and field. Also, a sprint requires perhaps the least amount of sport specific skill, contrary to a sport like football- which allows people like peyton manning to dominate the game despite lacking standard athletic qualities. No other sport other than track sprinting requires such a raw amount of strength + speed + power/explosiveness + endurance.

Athletes to consider:
Michael Jordan
Bo Jackson
Bruce Lee
Usain Bolt
Willie Mays
Cael Sanderson
Forrest Griffin
Wayne Gretzky
Pele
Muhammad Ali
Tiger Woods

those are just examples of great athletes from various sports

So, whos the best?

Last edited:

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
An individual who can excel in more than one sport. IMO triathletes are among the best athletes so I would go say that the guys that win Ironman should be at the top of the list.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
bo jackson does fit the category of excelling at multiple sports. football, track, baseball, bobsledding, hell he was good at hunting too

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It will depend on how you weight different attributes. I think there's a mental aspect to being athletic. I also think theirs a hand/eye aspect. IMO, being an "athlete" is more than just being physically superior. Bo Jackson is probably the most physically superior person I can think of. Michael Jordan, thought would probably be the best athlete I can think of. Tiger Woods in his 2000-2001 stretch was a phenomenal athlete. I realize people won't agree with that and that's why this is a difficult argument.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
correct yaman... there are lots of physically gifted athletes that excel in nothing because they aren't smart enough, collapse under pressure, or other various mental shortcomings

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
An individual who can excel in more than one sport. IMO triathletes are among the best athletes so I would go say that the guys that win Ironman should be at the top of the list.

I agree. They have to be EXTREMELY athletic to do what they do and races are a mind game, you have to be mentally tough to do well.

Colossus

Jan 16, 2010
Jim Thorpe.
Olympic gold medalist in pentathlon and decathalon.
Professional in football, baseball & basketball.
But... That was literally 100 years ago.

Reactions: Wesley

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
ashton eaton isn't even the best decathlete in the US. Curious as to why he gets your vote...

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'm not old enough to remember him, but I usually hear the name Bo a lot.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
Hershel Walker is a phenomenal athlete. Football, Bobsledding, 5th degree black belt in Tae Kwan Do, MMA and the guy is a physical marvel. The fact he just took up MMA long after most guys retire is remarkable.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Bo Jackson (arguably the greatest physical specimen of all time)
Jim Thorpe (just dominated everyone, and decathletes are probably the most well-rounded athletes)
Herschel Walker (the other contender for greatest physical specimen)
Gale Sayers (my "underrated" choice)
Jackie Robinson (4-sport letter winner at UCLA, still the only athlete in UCLA history to do so. Keep in mind, baseball was his worst sport at UCLA.)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I have thought about this some. There are so many ways to look at it but these are the guys I have for different "types" for lack of better words.

Micheal Jordan-Mental aspect as well as physical attributes.
Tiger Woods-Same as MJ. The guy ran a sub 50 400 in high school. I have a feeling if it wasn't golf, with his attitude, he would have made it in something.
Bo Jackson-Freak
Herschel Walker-Freak
Jackie Robinson-Persistency. It took a special athlete to do what he did.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The Galloping Ghost(for the youngings this is Red Grange).
Jim Thorpe also.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Forgot to mention Jim Brown. One of the greatest footballers of all time, and arguably the greatest lacrosse player ever as well.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Dave Winfield should probably be included in the discussion.

Help Support Us

Become a patron