Great Article on Wesley Johnson

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
[link=hyperlink url]http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_124094221.html?keyword=topstory[/link]

Couple things that caught my attention.

"Johnson was forced to play power forward at Eldon, but in McDermott’s system he’ll serve as a shooting guard/small forward in the same type of fast-break style he thrived in at Corsicana.

“The game plan they have is they play up-tempo, and I’m going to try to come in right away and learn the system, maybe play as a freshman,†he said.

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t help us the first year,†McDermott said. “We’re going to be young at the guard corps and we’ll need guys like Wesley to step up. He’s 6-7 but he has guard skills"

Feeling better about this class everyday!!! GO G-Mac

CY61

Mar 6, 2006
Great read. See Wes play a couple of years back for his AAU team in Texas.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Oh... and that he wants to come out of ISU being one of the greats.... that's an awesome attitude... says he wants to be here for maybe 4 years... and really wants to be at ISU... not just play basketball at a big school.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
JCloned, you always do a great job of finding this stuff and getting it on here right away. Excellent work.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
Any indications yet how many of the newcomers will play in the Capitol City League? Anyone know when they hold their draft and when games start?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is the Capitol City League that one in Des Moines in the summer? I've always wanted to hit up their games, but have never gotten around to doing it.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks Bryce.

It will be interesting to see if G-Mac is a supporter of the Cap City league, and yes it is the league in Des Moines. In the last two years ISU and Drake approached it very differently. ISU kids came down and played what in essence to them was a pickup game. Drake's coaching staff gave players specific goals and things to work on during the summer league. I heard Tom Davis talking several times that he sees it as a great time for kids to develop rebounding habits. He told Akita last year that his goal needs to be 20 rebounds a game in a summer league. He said many of the kids aren't going to be doing the hard things and so if he does them with energy he should be able to get 20 a game. In the process he would develop technique and habits that will carry over. I never heard ISU coaches talk about anything similar with summer league and you could see the difference in how the kids approached the games. (And yes he did have some 20 rebound games). If G-Mac is supportive of Cap City I hope he leverages it like Dr. Tom Davis of Drake

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Also like hte idea of Wesley having guard skills. The one thing that Clark lacks in his game is guard skills and having a 6 7 guy at the 3 after Clark leaves who has guard skills will be a benefit. I really hope R. Clark is focusing on that part of his game this summer

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron