Grassley goes "grumpy old fart" on the History Channel

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
I suppose producing shows about fringe on the job is far less expensive than funding historical documentaries...

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Gotta side with Chuck on this one. Used to be that you could always find an interesting documentary on the Visigoths or the Luftwaffe. Now, it's all swamp loggers and axe men. If they want to do the reality TV thing, fine, but at least reserve H2 for your documentaries.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
He has a point. It's pretty difficult to find an actual history program on the History Channel anymore.

That's not true. You can see programs all about the history of Ancient Astronauts every damn night.

But this isn't exactly a NEW complaint. I can remember a few years ago when I called History Channel the "Hitlery Channel" because it was "All 3rd Reich, All The Time". Then they went through an "All Crackpot Kennedy Assassination Theories All The Time" phase. It's gotten worse with all the "Current Events Reality Shows" about loggers, swamp people, truckers and shooters (even though I like "Top Shots", it ain't exactly History Channel material).

I'd rather see reruns from their extensive vault of ACTUAL Historical programming, but marketing says that good old programming doesn't sell DVD's, T-shirts and coffee mugs like lukewarm current programming. It sucks, but that's their business model.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
He has a point. It's pretty difficult to find an actual history program on the History Channel anymore.

We probably have Pawn Stars to thank for that. For a time, that show pulled the best ratings of any show on History (and may still pull them), and was rivaling Jersey Shore for the top-rated reality show. At least there was a bit of historical aspect to Pawn Stars with some the antiques that were sometimes brought in.

Money and ratings talk...

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Count me in the grumpy old fart club. I used to love the History channel, but he's right- you rarely find any history programs on there anymore. I guess they must have ran out.

Just chasing the $. Unfortunately, there is a much greater demand for reality shows than actual programming about history. Which is too bad.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just chasing the $. Unfortunately, there is a much greater demand for reality shows than actual programming about history. Which is too bad.

I absolutely hate reality shows. It's almost like we're completely out of talented writers. Heck, with history, you don't even need that. There are thousands of real life stories that put the better fictional writing to shame.

Reactions: Cyballz

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I absolutely hate reality shows. It's almost like we're completely out of talented writers. Heck, with history, you don't even need that. There are thousands of real life stories that put the better fictional writing to shame.

this. And they've done a lot of the work already. the History Channel is sitting on a library of documentaries that could be shown. The whole "In search of" series is fantastic. They've got plenty of actual historical programming. Just broadcast it. Or, at least release more of it to Netflix so I can stream it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
this. And they've done a lot of the work already. the History Channel is sitting on a library of documentaries that could be shown. The whole "In search of" series is fantastic. They've got plenty of actual historical programming. Just broadcast it. Or, at least release more of it to Netflix so I can stream it.

I wouldn't even mind if they threw their reality shows in there every day, but reserve at least part of the day for some other programing.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Grassley may be a grumpy old fart, but he has a point here. I've been rolling my eyes over the "History" Channel programs for quite some time. Reality programming isn't for me, at all.

But the History Channel isn't the only place where the name doesn't go with the programming. Note AMC, American Movie Classics. What do they air on weekday afternoons? Episodes of CSI:Miami. Now, that show is neither a "movie" nor a "classic." "American," yeah, I'll give you that. But on what planet is airing a David Caruso TV series supposed to fit on a movie channel? I don't get it. I realize they also have Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, but at least that's original programming that they developed themselves. Reruns of a network show? What the ... ??

I know, I know ... money talks.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
I stopped watching tv except for sports. Most the stuff on there is intellectually insulting and an absolute waste of time. Nothing positive to gain from it

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
KJ9aL.jpg

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I agree... you ever hear the old saying:

Stupid people talk about other people
Smart people talk about events
Geniuses talk about ideas

I think it helps explain the popularity of reality TV.