• Yes

Votes: 54 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 24 30.8%

• Total voters

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
with Utah Valley. (I know what some of you hunters were thinking, shame on you.:wink:)

AMES, Iowa - Iowa State wrestling will open the 2008-09 season Thursday at 7 p.m. against Utah Valley in Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones enter the dual as the No. 2 team in the country and boast nine ranked wrestlers, including top-ranked Jake Varner, who is moving up to 197 pounds this season. ISU will play host to the Harold Nichols/Cyclone Open Saturday at the Lied Recreation Center on Saturday. The wrestling begins at 10 a.m.

LINK

I don't know about some of you, but I'm not a huge wrestling, still I'm excited about this year. Let's get it done and bring home the national title.:yes:

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
This will be a blowout, but interesting nonetheless. The Harold Nichols will feature some very good wrestlers from many different divisions. If able to attend, do so!

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
however close the dual may be with iowa this year, and we just might take it, they will blow the roof off of the national tourney and we will not touch them (barring injuries).

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
In theory you are correct! Many people said the same thing of Minnesota last year and that didn't work out too well for them.

Seasons need to play out before we crown a champion....

swooper

Jun 28, 2008
however close the dual may be with iowa this year, and we just might take it, they will blow the roof off of the national tourney and we will not touch them (barring injuries).

What is this crap? I'll guarantee nobody in the cyclone wrestling room agrees with this. Overall we have higher ranked and better wrestlers - despite being #2. What we don't have is Iowa's reputation. We should win the dual and our chances (not history) at the national tournament are better than that other state school's!

The Hokeyes are the champs and will be until beaten. But... they do have issues:
1) Is Beatty better because he's bigger.
2) Who replaces Nat. Champ Perry? (Covington (if sober) or maybe Ballweg so an under-achieving Morningstar can move up a weight.)
3) And how about heavyweight. Erekson has had some moments but he's hardly proven at HVY and is a long shot from Fields.

Hawk fans will ***** all day long about Perry and Fields (and let's not forget Mocco) but the reality is they were a huge reason for their success and the holes they left won't be filled by second recruiting class from Virginia Tech!

We have better wrestlers. If we wrestle to win rather than to "not lose" (that means you Jake) we will win.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited by a moderator:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
What is this crap? I'll guarantee nobody in the cyclone wrestling room agrees with this. Overall we have higher ranked and better wrestlers - despite being #2. What we don't have is Iowa's reputation. We should win the dual and our chances (not history) at the national tournament are better than that other state school's!

The Hokeyes are the champs and will be until beaten. But... they do have issues:
2) Who replaces Nat. Champ Perry? (Covington (if sober) or maybe Ballweg so an under-achieving Morningstar can move up a weight.)
3) And how about heavyweight. Erekson has had some moments but he's hardly proven at HVY and is a long shot from Fields.

Hawk fans will ***** all day long about Perry and Fields (and let's not forget Mocco) but the reality is they were a huge reason for their success and the holes they left won't be filled by second recruiting class from Virginia Tech!

We have better wrestlers. If we wrestle to win rather than to "not lose" (that means you Jake) we will win.

Go Cyclones!

YES... I agree with that. We should win the dual.. but in tourneys, we need points... so you have wrestle to win.

-keep.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Go Cyclones!

Quote from some other site:
That's what happens when you win the national title by 38.5 points -- a margin large enough that the Hawkeyes could have hoisted the championship trophy at the NCAA meet without the points scored by its two seniors, 165-pound champion Mark Perry Jr. and All-American heavyweight Matt Fields.

I still think we can win it though.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Dual with Iowa

125: Clark vs Falck
133: Fanthorpe vs Slaton/Dennis
141: Gallick vs Tsirtis/LeClaire
149: Mueller vs Metcalf
157: Sanderson vs Morningstar/Ballweg?
165: Reader vs Covington/Morningstar
174: Burke vs Borschel
184: Ward vs Keddy
197: Varner vs Beatty
HWT: Zabriskie vs Erekson

ISU favored at 157, 165, 197, HWT. Iowa the other 6 with bonus points at 149 and possibly 174. Fanthorpe and Gallick need to finally win a match against the Iowa wrestlers. Either way should be a good exciting season.

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
Here is what the results would be if each wrestler placed at his ranking. It doesn't take into account bonus points and that will be the difference and I can see Metcalf scoring another 10 points in bonus points for the Hawks so we will need Varner to step up and do the same:It will be a 2 team race and it will be fun.

W.I.N.’S 2008-09 PRESEASON TOURNAMENT POWER INDEX (T.P.I.)
W.I.N.’s Tournament Power Index (T.P.I.) is based on how a school’s individually-ranked wrestlers — according to the current W.I.N. rankings — would finish in the NCAA Div. I tournament. Point totals are based on what wrestlers would receive at the NCAA tournament, including All-American points for finishing in the top eight and advancement points. Only teams with ranked wrestlers are included.
Points totals associated with individual rankings are as followed: 1st - 20 (16 AA points + 4 advancement points); 2nd - 16 (12+4); 3rd - 13.5 (10+3.5); 4th - 12. 5 (9+3.5); 5th - 10 (7+3); 6th - 9 (6+3); 7th - 6.5 (4+2.5); 8th - 5.5 (3+2.5); 9th/12th - 2; 13th/16th - 1.5; 17th-20th - 1
Rank/School/Pts
1. Iowa 91
2. Iowa State 90
3. Cornell 77
4. Missouri 61
5. Ohio State 54
6. Nebraska 53
7. Illinois 50
8. Michigan 44
9. Penn State 35
10. Boise State 34.5

TheMat.com - The Official Website of USA Wrestling

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
No use starting the season off thinking, "we are not going to win a national championship" What kind of mentality is that. I believe, and I will be mat side every home match cheering my loudest for Iowa State.

swooper

Jun 28, 2008
Dual with Iowa

125: Clark vs Falck
133: Fanthorpe vs Slaton/Dennis
141: Gallick vs Tsirtis/LeClaire
149: Mueller vs Metcalf
157: Sanderson vs Morningstar/Ballweg?
165: Reader vs Covington/Morningstar
174: Burke vs Borschel
184: Ward vs Keddy
197: Varner vs Beatty
HWT: Zabriskie vs Erekson

ISU favored at 157, 165, 197, HWT. Iowa the other 6 with bonus points at 149 and possibly 174. Fanthorpe and Gallick need to finally win a match against the Iowa wrestlers. Either way should be a good exciting season.

ISU is favored in 5 not 4. Despite losing to LeClere twice last year every poll I've seen has Gallick at or near #2 while LeClere is around #10. Their bonus points are equally countered by us at 197 and 157/165 (if not HVY). Jeez people - you gotta believe!

Indyclone

Jan 24, 2008
ISU is favored in 5 not 4. Despite losing to LeClere twice last year every poll I've seen has Gallick at or near #2 while LeClere is around #10. Their bonus points are equally countered by us at 197 and 157/165 (if not HVY). Jeez people - you gotta believe!

I don't think Gallick will face LeClere it will be Tsirtis, not that it matters as Gallick beats either one.

Also we won't score bonus points at 157/165, but I agree we will at 97 and 275 so that will help.

I think we match up well with Iowa in a dual, I have said before that Nationals will come down to who scores more bonus points and has the better draws as we won't wrestle head to head 10 times like a dual meet.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
With Ballweg at 157 for the Hawkeyes, I would be very surprised if we don't get bonus points. Morningstar moving up to 165 is very good for us. We are in better shape this year than last.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Here was Chris Pursel vs Bradley Darrington of Utah Valley

ChrisPurselBradleyDarrington_6875_950x750.jpg