Granite, Quartz, or other solid surface countertops

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
Bumping again as we've been dragging our ass on this, but are starting to make a final decision. We're either going with quartz or granite; thinking quart since its lower maintenance. We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and liked what they had, and really liked they actually showed us how much installation per square foot would be (went to a few smaller companies and never were able to get a quote, not sure why it's been so difficult to have someone give us a price). Going to look at the stone shop this week as well to see what they have and how their prices compare to Nebraska Furniture Mart.
We ended up getting quartz for the same reason (no maintenance). Haven't had any issues and really like the quality.

Reactions: Sparkplug

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
My wife and I got granite counter tops at a place called Bertini Stone and Tile in Grimes. They had a great selection of granite in multiple price ranges. The service was PHENOMENAL!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What is the attraction to granite (and other hard-surface) counters? Whenever I see them, I imagine all the things that I would probably break on them if we had granite counters in our house.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Bumping again as we've been dragging our ass on this, but are starting to make a final decision. We're either going with quartz or granite; thinking quart since its lower maintenance. We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and liked what they had, and really liked they actually showed us how much installation per square foot would be (went to a few smaller companies and never were able to get a quote, not sure why it's been so difficult to have someone give us a price). Going to look at the stone shop this week as well to see what they have and how their prices compare to Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Give CKF a look. Located in Urbandale.
11271 Meredith Dr, Urbandale, IA 50322

Their showroom looks kinda like a warehouse from the outside, but when you walk in the door, you'll see the showroom is amazing.
Ask for Rachel and the ISU discount (there is no discount but she likes chatting with fellow 'Clones)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What is the attraction to granite (and other hard-surface) counters? Whenever I see them, I imagine all the things that I would probably break on them if we had granite counters in our house.
You can put pans from the oven directly on ours.
We had laminate before quartz and have a gas range. We do a lot of canning, and we did enough where it signed the edges of the laminate and started to be come not very safe.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa

Their showroom looks kinda like a warehouse from the outside, but when you walk in the door, you'll see the showroom is amazing.
Ask for Rachel and the ISU discount (there is no discount but she likes chatting with fellow 'Clones)

They did my cabinets (kitchen, living room and bath), countertops (quartz) and fireplace. Wonderful to work with. When we finished they brought a couple of new salespersons to see how we used their cabinets to hide the tv

Reactions: DSMCy

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bumping this old thread. Looking at options in the Des Moines area - any recommendations? Probably looking at granite or quartz.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Bumping this old thread. Looking at options in the Des Moines area - any recommendations? Probably looking at granite or quartz.
I got granite from Nebraska Furniture Mart. They were cheaper than a couple other places I was able to get quotes from.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Took me a lot longer to realize this was 3 years old. Still holds true. Get quartz. Shop around most of them have the same supplier do it anyway so find the one that doesn't up charge as much.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Kamen Granite in Grimes did our kitchen last year, no complaints from us.

We also looked at Midwest Tile in Urbandale but there selection was overwhelming but sales person was really good. Both were recommended by our contractor.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Anyone ever used Royal Flooring?

What are the basic pros/cons of quartz vs granite?
From what I understand, granite has more natural imperfections in color and patterns. Quartz is more expensive though? Any maintenance for either?

Anyone ever had butcher block counter?

Reactions: cycloneworld

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

From what I understand, granite has more natural imperfections in color and patterns. Quartz is more expensive though? Any maintenance for either?

Granite needs to be sealed periodically. It has pores in it so if you have kids and they spill grape juice it could stain the granite if it isn’t sealed

Reactions: HardcoreClone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Granite needs to be sealed periodically. It has pores in it so if you have kids and they spill grape juice it could stain the granite if it isn’t sealed

Same with butcher block. It looks nice but there’s a reason it’s not more widely used for high use areas.

When we were looking, NFM was the cheapest decent quality option we found in Des Moines. We ultimately decided not to pull the trigger because 100 sq ft of countertop was just too much to replace for the ROI.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Took me a lot longer to realize this was 3 years old. Still holds true. Get quartz. Shop around most of them have the same supplier do it anyway so find the one that doesn't up charge as much.

I’ve seen this a few times now. Why? Is it all the look and potential for imperfections? Durability? Maintenance?

Because we like the non uniform look of many granite options.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
We are doing kitchen remodel this summer. For those of you that have granite, how often do you sela it? ANd\y staining issues?
Most kitchen places we talk to res=commend quartz but my fathe rin law has 3 year granite that he has never sealed since it was new and it looks great.

Appreciate any thoughts on quartz vs granite.

Trigger

Dec 30, 2011
We are doing kitchen remodel this summer. For those of you that have granite, how often do you sela it? ANd\y staining issues?
Most kitchen places we talk to res=commend quartz but my fathe rin law has 3 year granite that he has never sealed since it was new and it looks great.

Appreciate any thoughts on quartz vs granite.
We have had granite from The Stone Shop in Ankeny for nearly 4 years now. According to them it will be time to reseal sometimes this year. We can do it ourselves or pay them a couple hundred bucks and that gets us some kind of warranty. We have spilled plenty and have not had any stains but we are very diligent in cleaning up. I think if you generally keep a clean kitchen there is nothing to fear from granite.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron