Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Wow this is pretty harsh from the MSU side

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com...kes-michigan-states-96-93-win-iowa/310911002/

In no other sport is the play of the home team elevated to such a degree so often. If you watched the opening minutes of Michigan State’s game at Iowa, the difference between the two teams was evident. This wasn’t MSU at Maryland or Indiana. This was MSU against Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster.

At Breslin, it’s a 30-point MSU win. Maybe 40. At Carver-Hawkeye Arena — even against the worst team Iowa’s assembled in some years — it’s a fight.

MSU’s foul trouble aided Iowa’s cause tremendously. Ward and Jackson each sat the final 10 minutes of the first half with two fouls, picked up a third in the opening minutes of the second half and sat some more. With them in the game early, this was a serious and obvious mismatch.

But that’s part of life on the road — it’s a different whistle. Officials are human and only the best are never swayed by the emotion of the crowd. You don’t want Terry Wymer if you’re the road team.

Iowa made some shots early, found some confidence. A crowd that could have easily been taken out of this game got into it, and the Hawkeyes fed off it and played above themselves.

There were plenty of things MSU did wrong, a lot of them on defense.

But this was also a classic example of how much home court can be worth in college hoops.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Pretty clear Michigan State/Izzo don't have much respect for this Iowa team. It's not often I hear a coach say an opposing player isn't a good shooter during their halftime interview.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Pretty clear Michigan State/Izzo don't have much respect for this Iowa team. It's not often I hear a coach say an opposing player isn't a good shooter during their halftime interview.

I saw on Twitter afterwards that said Izzo said they were so worn out for playing 5 games in 12 days they just didn't even play defense

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Honestly do any Hawkeye fans ever argue against the comment that this is Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster?

• Useful
Reactions: clone34

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It was predictable and clear that MSU used this as a recovery game before Purdue. Iowa basketball is a freak show of awkwardness.

And while I agree that Iowa is largely like watching a UNI-in-a-P5 experiment, the author is greatly over-selling the impact of Carver.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I saw on Twitter afterwards that said Izzo said they were so worn out for playing 5 games in 12 days they just didn't even play defense

I could buy they were tired with how much fouling they did.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Not sure if this MSU guy has watched his own team much...Ward and Jackson are always in foul trouble.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Not sure why anyone puts down their opponent, it just diminishes their win. More interested in when Izzo chose not to talk than this kind of stuff though.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Seems like Sparty is trying to distract their fanbase from how much the Nassar/sexual assault cover up stuff has distracted their bball program. They've under performed almost every game the last few weeks and their coach is feeling the heat, regardless of what he says to the media. No need to take cheap (albeit hilarious) shots at the Hawks, just because they played well.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Even though they were playing a Mid-Major team, I was really impressed with Mich St early on; they could be a Final4 team

"...Ward and Jackson each sat the final 10 minutes of the first half with two fouls, picked up a third in the opening minutes of the second half and sat some more. With them in the game early, this was a serious and obvious mismatch..."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Honestly do any Hawkeye fans ever argue against the comment that this is Tyler Cook and a mid-major roster?

Idk there are few mid major guys like JBO Moss, and Garza. But the rest like Dailey, Ellingsin, Kriener, Pemsl etc are low mid major (think Drake) or straight low major like South Dakota/NoDak level.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
It's also pretty clear MSU did zero homework on them either. The guy that Izzo said isn't a good shooter is Maishe Dailey who shoots it at 42% from 3.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't watch much non-Big 12 basketball in real depth, so I will stick to what I know. Cook would be the only guy to see regular minutes for all Big 12 teams. Don't think he'd necessarily start for KU, Tech, WVU, Oklahoma, Texas and maybe TCU. I think JBo would find some minutes for us, Baylor, KSU and maybe TCU. I imagine most teams would take on Garza as a project with spot minutes. He'd play for us due to our lack of front court depth.

That's about it. Moss would maybe get a little run for one of the lower tier teams.

• Funny
Reactions: Ecyrb

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Seems like Sparty is trying to distract their fanbase from how much the Nassar/sexual assault cover up stuff has distracted their bball program. They've under performed almost every game the last few weeks and their coach is feeling the heat, regardless of what he says to the media. No need to take cheap (albeit hilarious) shots at the Hawks, just because they played well.
That’s a huge reach. If you thought they were going to win every Big 10 game by double digits just because they beat a North Carolina team that may be unranked and sub-500 in ACC play by week’s end you’re crazy. The BIG is bad, but not that bad.

• Dislike
Reactions: TheJackWePack5