Graduation in Iowa City

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So our daughter graduated from Iowa today. Just some tidbits that Mom and Dad noticed. LIberal Art College had around 930 graduates.

1. Is it The University of Iowa or Iowa Hawkeyes. Only saw one thing on the big screen calling it The University of Iowa. Also saw the big backdrop of IOWA HAWKEYES in gold letters on a black backdrop. What is it.

2. Homeless people. Saw a guy with a sign on Hwy 1 near Walmart. Noticed he had a few backup signs near him. I've seen the another guy for last 4 years at the same bench. Every time we go there he is at that bench. Sorry to see so many panhandlers in that city!

3. $1.4 million lawsuit really has caused cut backs already. Really warm in Carver today. Hmm...

4. Carver-Hawkeye is still a cesspool. Walked into the men's bathroom and the sewer odor was awful.

5. At least Hilton has a way better parking lot than Carver-Hawkeye. Total cluster as out of town people did not having a clue on how to get out.

6. What is it with the multiple surnames? Four or five people had like 6 surnames. They were all Caucasian! A name that would look like this for example: Nancy Sue Hibbert Mary Denise Smith. WTF?? Liberals??

7. We are from Ames. In the program they had our daughter with Iowa City being her hometown. Hmm..,

Just some observations from dark side...

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Let-it-Go_0.jpg

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yeah, if I had to sit through a 930 person graduation, I'd get hammered drunk as well.

Also, do you have any pics of your daughter graduating?

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and 2020cy

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
So our daughter graduated from Iowa today. Just some tidbits that Mom and Dad noticed. LIberal Art College had around 930 graduates.

1. Is it The University of Iowa or Iowa Hawkeyes. Only saw one thing on the big screen calling it The University of Iowa. Also saw the big backdrop of IOWA HAWKEYES in gold letters on a black backdrop. What is it.

2. Homeless people. Saw a guy with a sign on Hwy 1 near Walmart. Noticed he had a few backup signs near him. I've seen the another guy for last 4 years at the same bench. Every time we go there he is at that bench. Sorry to see so many panhandlers in that city!

3. $1.4 million lawsuit really has caused cut backs already. Really warm in Carver today. Hmm...

4. Carver-Hawkeye is still a cesspool. Walked into the men's bathroom and the sewer odor was awful.

5. At least Hilton has a way better parking lot than Carver-Hawkeye. Total cluster as out of town people did not having a clue on how to get out.

6. What is it with the multiple surnames? Four or five people had like 6 surnames. They were all Caucasian! A name that would look like this for example: Nancy Sue Hibbert Mary Denise Smith. WTF?? Liberals??

7. We are from Ames. In the program they had our daughter with Iowa City being her hometown. Hmm..,

Calm down, brosef. Being a central Iowan (near Ames) until age 18-ish, and ultimately living in Iowa City for the past 10 years after undergrad-ing in a real cesspool (central Indiana), I can address some of your observations. Bear in mind, I'm a Cyclone sports fan through and through.

2. The homeless people in Iowa City are pretty respectful overall. They are here in no small part because Iowa City has one of the best VA hospitals in the country, and while by no means all of the homeless here are vets, it has fostered a culture where the homeless know they can exist here. For better or worse.

3+4. Yeah....the scoreboard/sound changes in Carver this past year were certainly needed improvements, but it's still an utter disappointment compared to Hilton in most every way.

6. Yeah....well, there is more diversity in Iowa City/UI than in Ames/ISU, and yeah maybe some of the naming you're complaining about has to do with liberal parents, or at the very least divorced families. While I'm listening to the world's smallest violin play, please tell me how this negatively affected you today.

7. Being in IT with UIHC, I'm going to guess it may have had something to do with how your daughter listed her address in the MyUI website. It could be made to think her "home" was her Iowa City address, and that may be where they pulled the cities from for graduation.

As an addendum, while Iowa City and the university here are far from perfect (particularly, the latter's athletic program), there is no other place in Iowa I would rather live in at this time (except, perhaps, during MBB season). Sacrilege, right? :jimlad: I don't doubt that many here would disagree with me, but I will stick up for Iowa City on this board. And, should the stars align and I'm available to go out, anyone here is welcome to meet me for a drink to discuss the finer points... :beer: Is it football season yet?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Calm down, brosef.....I can address some of your observations. Bear in mind, I'm a Cyclone fan through and through...... welcome to meet me for a drink to discuss the finer points...

Just curious, if we meet for beer, can we both wear our Cyclone stuff without being hassled in diverse Iowa City?

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Just curious, if we meet for beer, can we both wear our Cyclone stuff without being hassled in diverse Iowa City?

We can, in fact *^. I regularly see Cyclone gear and license plates at the eastside Hy-Vee, and my daughter insists on wearing her football jersey to school every other week and doesn't get called out. I think Niang got in people's heads here about it being a Cyclone state. You cannot believe how excited people were after beating us in MBB this year, so the respect level is rising. Would really help to have another victory this year in FB.

*as long as we avoid Brothers and Sports Column on a weekend night.

^If the Hawks lose, it's worth any hassle to wear the crap out of your Cyclone gear that day.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and CTTB78

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
In this thread I learned:
Ames has solved the homeless crisis
Carver-Hawkeye smells like s***
Long names = Liberal
Am I missing anything?

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
I'm sure you tried to talk her into going to Iowa State when she was 18. It happens. Unfortunately I didn't even go to Iowa State. With my ACT scores I could have went to much better academic colleges but my girlfriend at the time went to Wisconsin and I went there. I won't say you failed as a parent, but you blew it to a certain extent with your kid becoming a Chokeye graduate. Good post for what it's worth.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
My kids wear their Cyclone gear to school a couple times a week in Iowa City. A little tough but bearable. Good early lesson in being a member of the minority tribe.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm sure you tried to talk her into going to Iowa State when she was 18. It happens. Unfortunately I didn't even go to Iowa State. With my ACT scores I could have went to much better academic colleges but my girlfriend at the time went to Wisconsin and I went there. I won't say you failed as a parent, but you blew it to a certain extent with your kid becoming a Chokeye graduate. Good post for what it's worth.

It seems like we know somebody else on here that went to Wisconsin. I just can't remember his username for the life of me...Billclone?...Bobclone?...it'll come to me.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Sometimes, you just have to write a few thoughts in order to cope with being in a situation like that. I understand. It is cheaper than therapy.

• Funny

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So far all my nieces and nephew have avoided going to EIU. The one is a fan but the rest have good judgement and haven't made that mistake. The only one left in high school will end up going to ISU. She fell in love with the campus 1st time she went to see her sister, and lots of ISU MBB &WBB with her uncle has the hook set pretty deep.