Gopher AD Steps Aside - Stay Away From JP!!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jonecy

Dec 5, 2006
3.5 Hours From Trice
News conference going on right now. Joel Maturi is stepping aside. I'm sure they'd love to have JP on board. I just hope JP wants to stay put.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I dont think we need to worry about him leaving. He has said hes turned down jobs other places. He likes it here and doubt with his son being sick, that he'd up and move his family.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He will leave when his work is done -- but it is not yet done -- need to break round on the SEZ

That and Pres. Leath mentioned in his interview that he knows its very important to keep him around, if an offer came in i'm sure he'd do everything it took to keep him here.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Good news for U of MN, but I don't think JP would leave "in the middle" of executing his plan.

If JP "finishes" the plan, I could see him taking a huge payday somewhere else.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
We should email him to stay put.

In all seriousness, don't think he's going anywhere. He has a family and Ames is a great place for a family. Also something to think about in his decision.

Spam

May 21, 2008
job is never done. if and when he leaves, there will always be something unfinished here. but i get the feeling he likes his safe and secure job in a bcs conference small family town.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Eh, what is there to like about the Minny job? Hoops isn't so great, football hasn't been anything special for years. They are a college program buried in a pro town. It just doesn't seem like there is much interest in Gopher athletics. ISU seems to be on the rise in many sports, has growing fan support, has a ton of untapped potential, and doesn't have to worry about playing second fiddle to pro teams. I just don't see this being that great of an opportunity for JP. Agreed with others that Wiscy would be something more to worry about, especially with him having history there.

Spam

May 21, 2008
JP is more likely to become the next athletic director of Ames High than University of M. And I am not insulting JP when I say that. Simply saying the only time JP will leave is when he thinks he doesn't want to deal with a stressful job anymore and wants more family time.