GoogleFi

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I had it for several years before I joined my wife’s plan with sprint, now T-Mobile.

I never had a problem with service when I had it, this includes being around Des Moines and Kansas City. They use the T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks, so good coverage.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I've been on Fi for a couple years. I recommend having a phone that is fully Fi compatible to get the best coverage.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Anyone outside a metro on Google Fi? I'm thinking of getting the $70 plan and just using it for phone and internet all in one. I don't need redic speeds for internet, but seems like a viable cheap option to combine both.

Anyone have experience tethering Google Fi to your laptop for internet?

PFlatts

Nov 1, 2013
I've had Fi for a couple years love the service and the price. I don't use much data so bill is typically around $30.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I have had it for six years. It's excellent. Any phone works (didn't used to be the case) but use a Fi phone for best features. Coverage has been great as they use four carrier's towers.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I started using it in November and could not be more pleased! I live outside of Cedar Rapids. Great coverage around this area. I have yet to have a bill above $28. If you choose to use Google Fi ask a friend or someone for a referral code...both parties get $20 off for one month.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So the plans seem to be different than the last time I had looked at them. Looks like for 3 people there is an option for pay as you go data and I limited data. Anyone use their unlimited data option? I ask because the reason I'm looking at switching is that we switched to Verizon's unlimited plan from a shared data plan and it feels like the internet speeds have been garbage ever since. I didn't know if that would be the same situation.

And for the users that said they have bills around $30 or so. Do you just use around 1 gb per month, or what are you doing to keep it that low?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So the plans seem to be different than the last time I had looked at them. Looks like for 3 people there is an option for pay as you go data and I limited data. Anyone use their unlimited data option? I ask because the reason I'm looking at switching is that we switched to Verizon's unlimited plan from a shared data plan and it feels like the internet speeds have been garbage ever since. I didn't know if that would be the same situation.

And for the users that said they have bills around $30 or so. Do you just use around 1 gb per month, or what are you doing to keep it that low?

We're always on wifi so our bills are really low. If you use a lot of cellular data, Fi may not be for you.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We're always on wifi so our bills are really low. If you use a lot of cellular data, Fi may not be for you.

I've got a teenager that feels the need to be on YouTube at all times of the day. They do have an unlimited plan that does look interesting. Flat $30 / month for each user (no tethering). Still a lot cheaper than Verizon. So if the coverage is there, seems like a good deal still.

Reactions: cyfanatic

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I just use wifi whenever/wherever it is available. I bought a Pixel 5 last fall and paid for it outright. I had never done that to buy a phone but with the money I have saved from switching to Google Fi makes me thrilled that I did that! Doesn't make the service any different but I enjoy getting a bill for less than $30 every month! Also Fi makes it really easy "not" to use your phone as you can use a computer to text or make and receive phone calls without your phone being powered on. Here is a screenshot of my billing this year:

1621257754417.png

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I've been on Fi for a couple of years. Put me in the big fan camp.

I've got a google phone and live in the metro, plus I am on wifi at work and home so don't use much data. Around $30-35 per month for me.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I've been on Fi for a couple of years. Put me in the big fan camp.

I've got a google phone and live in the metro, plus I am on wifi at work and home so don't use much data. Around $30-35 per month for me.

The Pixel December security updates broke my work wifi so I'm going to be on mobile data until my company figures out how to handle the required domain address. So I'll be going through quite a bit of data for the short term at least.

Even if I go to unlimited, I'd be looking at going from $135 with Verizon to $90 with Google Fi (3 lines) plus taxes.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The Pixel December security updates broke my work wifi so I'm going to be on mobile data until my company figures out how to handle the required domain address. So I'll be going through quite a bit of data for the short term at least.

Even if I go to unlimited, I'd be looking at going from $135 with Verizon to $90 with Google Fi (3 lines) plus taxes.

Is this the issue that no longer allowed you to connect to your work wifi?

If so, it looks like your IT department had some bad security practices.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is this the issue that no longer allowed you to connect to your work wifi?

If so, it looks like your IT department had some bad security practices.

Yeah. They have a separate network for company devices that is well secured and a network for personal devices that isn't really supported by IT much. The security on the personal devices is only a small step up from the corner coffee shop with the wifi password printed on the door. But, it's still nice to have.

• Haha
Reactions: cycloneG