Goodwill's firing down syndrome employee, justified?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The fact that he has downs syndrome does not even matter, it just makes it worse. It is not justified, and still wouldn't be if the employee was perfectly normal.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
The worker was fired for violating Goodwill's policy forbidding employees from purchasing merchandise while on the clock. The violation? His mother bought him a $3 shirt.

Too harsh or justified?

I currently work with adults with developmental disabilities, including those with Down Syndrome.

Way, way, way, way too harsh, and also just plain mean-spirited and dumb. I predict and hope that public opinion will absolutely bury Goodwill in this case. Shame on them.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Can't imagine what they were thinking.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is bull****. I hope they get hit hard by this. Whoever fired him needs to take a good, long look in the mirror and ask him/herself if what they did was right.
This line really makes me mad.
Dustin's earnings at Goodwill and another part-time job have let him live semi-independently
Way to take away a job from a disabled person who seems to have found something that has made him happy. He was pretty much making a living by himself, and they fired him for a $3 shirt that his mom bought??? What a load of BS.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is bull****. I hope they get hit hard by this. Whoever fired him needs to take a good, long look in the mirror and ask him/herself if what they did was right.
This line really makes me mad.

Way to take away a job from a disabled person who seems to have found something that has made him happy. He was pretty much making a living by himself, and they fired him for a $3 shirt that his mom bought??? What a load of BS.

Basically, what he was doing with his life is the whole point of hiring by Goodwill, and they dump him because his mom bought him a shirt. Is that really the kind of behavior that we want to discourage? Moms can't give their kids a shirt?

This is the kind of case that makes it so easy to see that there's such a thing as taking rules too literally. Way too literally.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Any lawyers looking for some pro-Bono work, good karma and free publicity? Seems like this firing would have a hard time holding up in court. Your Mom buying you a shirt does not seem to justify firing an employee of 12 years. C'mon Goodwill do the right thing and hire him back.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Any lawyers looking for some pro-Bono work, good karma and free publicity? Seems like this firing would have a hard time holding up in court. Your Mom buying you a shirt does not seem to justify firing an employee of 12 years. C'mon Goodwill do the right thing and hire him back.

If anything, fire or at least give a good talking to the guy who fired him.

Nycclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2010
Wierd, I grew up with this kid. His brother was a year ahead of me in school, haven't really seen any of them in over ten years. Honestly, this does sound like something that would happen in Washington, IA. Not to pile on but yeah this is completely ridiculous.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If all is true he may own Goodwill when the lawyers get done.

It's a sad story, and it was a stupid thing for Goodwill to do, but I doubt a lawsuit is coming. Iowa is an at will employment state, and even though their policy is terrible, Goodwill had the legal right to do what they did.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It's a sad story, and it was a stupid thing for Goodwill to do, but I doubt a lawsuit is coming. Iowa is an at will employment state, and even though their policy is terrible, Goodwill had the legal right to do what they did.

At will State or not, whether they had cause is up to the judge. After 12 years as an employee he does have rights. On top of that he is a protected category under the American Disabilties Act.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Assuming no Ada problems