Good roads to speed on

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
Maybe so up until about five or six miles outside of CB. Every time I have been through there I always see troopers and sheriffs along that stretch.

that's because there is a trooper station right on 6 and i80 that they are based. they have tons of speed traps where it goes to 55, and they patrol from cb to neola pretty heavily. Why you would speed there is beyond me.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
They have a trooper office in the CB area at the ridge ofn the sand hills, but they do not seem very active. I agree with the Ankeny area as I like to be several cars behind a leader, and I think I-380 is the pits no matter what you do through CR. I am very careful on I-380. The lower volume 20 is fairly safe.

I like to run behind California cars having gals because they are the ones that get pulled over first. I also slow down going over ridges on game days.

good call Wesley- that will teach me to not read the full thread.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
In my experience I-35 is a lot "safer" to speed on than I-80. In the Des Moines metro this is probably not the case, but other than that I-35 is pretty barren of cops (again in my experience, which is pretty extensive).

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I drive I80 between the Bluffs and exit 60 (roughly halfway to DSM) more than anyone needs to. Your ability to speed here depends totally on the traffic. As usual, you can lose yourself among a number of speeding cars and lessen the likelyhood of getting pegged. However, to say that there arent troopers or cops here is delusional. I agree with a previous poster too that said closer too the bluffs gets quite dangerous. Once you hit the 65 zone a couple miles outside town you better be paying close attention for a cop or to make sure you arent the fastest one around. I have seen a half dozen through here on one trip.

I am conservative and usually set 5 over and forget it. I'm not in that big of a hurry.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
You can drive as fast as you want on Hwy 30 between Ames and Colo. Rarely ever a cop. But if you do see one, I suggest you keep going and try to outrun them. Nevada police department has a reputation for shooting first and asking questions later:jimlad:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I am amazed that A) you would ask this on a "semi-public" board and B) people would answer you in a truthful manner (jimlads not withstanding.)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I am amazed that A) you would ask this on a "semi-public" board and B) people would answer you in a truthful manner (jimlads not withstanding.)

Really? My next thread was going to be "What's the best banks to rob in Iowa". There's always someone on CF with the answer.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
I380 through Cedar Rapids.

I second this.

Anyway, I drive on HWY 30 between CR and Ames at least twice a month and I always average about 10mph over and pull off massive passes usually getting up to 100mph. I never see any cops except for around Marshalltown and now Tama with the new bypass. Other than that, it is usually pretty safe to speed on.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Really? My next thread was going to be "What's the best banks to rob in Iowa". There's always someone on CF with the answer.

Find a small town without its own police dept, and as far away from the County Seat as you can get. That way you can be 20 miles away before the Sheriff even shows up!

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

Find a small town without its own police dept, and as far away from the County Seat as you can get. That way you can be 20 miles away before the Sheriff even shows up!

Apparently robbing a bank is easy. You don't even need a gun. Just a note saying you do. Getting away with it though is another matter.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Apparently robbing a bank is easy. You don't even need a gun. Just a note saying you do. Getting away with it though is another matter.

I prefere to use the drive thru when I rob my banks...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
330 between Des Moines and Marshalltown. i've seen one cop in about 40 trips.

I usually go 8-9 mph typical. In town, i go about 5 over.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I second this.

Anyway, I drive on HWY 30 between CR and Ames at least twice a month and I always average about 10mph over and pull off massive passes usually getting up to 100mph. I never see any cops except for around Marshalltown and now Tama with the new bypass. Other than that, it is usually pretty safe to speed on.

Do you drive a loud Chevy pickup?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I just drove from CF to I-35 Sunday at 75-80 and did not see any enforcers.

The last eighty miles on I-80 into Council Bluffs can be driven at 85-90 mph. I followed a nice fellow yesterday who proved it.
I always figured the 680 loop from I-29 to I-80 would be a pretty good place to open it up.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I'm just imagining the board members that are highway patrolmen (as I'm sure at least SOME of them are) sitting here writing down all of these spots so they can set up speed traps during football season.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I got pulled over at least 3 times in Franklin County between 2003 and 2006 on my home from ISU. I like to go between 5 and 10 over, but didn't have cruise and tended to get really into a good song when I heard it. So I guess I'm saying don't speed through Franklin County. I still see a lot of cops on top of exit ramps there.

Haven't gotten a speeding since I got a car w/cruise in it.

cycoOJfan89

Oct 20, 2009
Ames/Cedar Rapids
So you're saying you're a dumb***? Gotcha.

No sir, I have been driving for over 7 years and have never gotten in an accident and have only received one speeding ticket. When on HWY 30 on 2 lanes and you have traffic backed up 8+ cars deep and there is an opening you have got to jump on it. Passing aggressively is way more safe than passing passively and not getting on the gas pedal.

Status
Not open for further replies.