Good for Bill Fennelly...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Although it's been edited from the post game interview on Cyclones.TV Fennelly went off on a reporter who started to ask about a lack of "effort" at the start of the second half of today's WBB game with OSU. I'd say his put the reporter in his place and rightly so. He really sticks by his players. Good for Bill!

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/iowa-state-bill-fennelly-rant-203832663.html

Last edited by a moderator:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I double dog dare that guy to write the word "effort" in his next column, in any context.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Yikes. It didn't look like lack of effort to me. Looked like OSU just turned it up and took it to the ladies.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The one thing you can never doubt is the girls are giving effort. It may not be producing the desired resists, but they are working hard.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I guess I don't get why it's a "good on Bill Fennelley" for berating a reporter who only asked a question that many fans were thinking. I mean, isn't that his job? Fans are always criticizing reporters for not asking the tough questions of coaches, especially the Iowa media covering the school to the east, but when they do ask the tough questions, we get a "good on you coach" when the coach yells at the reporter.

On the other hand, it's refreshing to see a coach stick up for his players instead of throwing them under the bus like Frank Martin has been doing at South Carolina. But you can stick up for your players without attacking someone who's doing his job.

Considering BF's demeanor on the sidelines, it's a wonder he hasn't gone off like this before. I wouldn't doubt it if he issues an apology for this rant.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It's easy to understand why he would go off like that. He is easily one of the most passionate coaches, dedicated to his players and school. His team had just lost a game so emotions are high. The question could have been asked differently. Yes, coach could have responded differently, but I probably would have done it just like he did.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I applauded his rant because the reporter was framing his question to force Bill to call his team lazy.

Too often after a loss, or a bad half, reporters try to get a rise out of a coach. CBF (and CPR) are very passionate about their teams, and reporters can use that against them. It then becomes a case of the reporter creating a story (Coach says: my players are lazy) rather than the coach talking about a game and what went wrong.

Edit: that's not to say CFH is not passionate about his teams... He has a different personality, and a different way of showing emotions. I have not seen interviews by most of our other coaches, so I can't speak to their interview styles.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Effort, intensity, focus etc are used a bit interchangeably when talking sports. "We came out flat" or "We were not focused" and so on. Its a pretty unremarkable that a coach would get testy after a loss in an up and down season. Maybe time for a meme "Testy Coach is Testy".

Poor effort is not the same as quitting. I don't think we have much "quit" on this team but that thing called effort/focus/intensity (or whatever) shouldn't be a third-rail of topics. Even the TV announcers yesterday talked about a short stint on the bench for Moody in the first half getting her back focused and playing better. Than in the second half we look like half the team we were in the first. If you put that ALL on OSU playing better than you had better be ready to say the OSU was not putting forth good "effort" in the first half or they would have won by 30. Our wildly inconsistent play is hard to figure out. I've seen our teams start slow and gradually get better as the season goes along. Also seen our teams going well and than hit a wall at seasons end. Haven't seen this crazy swings in good to bad to good to bad before. I know (IMHO) that playing an all-conference 3 at the 4 and 5 is a big part of it but still hard to figure the season in it's entirety.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Honestly, I saw nothing wrong with the question being asked. The word 'effort' warrants that type of response from coach? Sounds like coach wasn't happy following the loss and found his alley to vent.

By the way, I don't think anything coach said was disrespectful, but wasn't really necessarily needing to be directed at that reporter.

Last edited:

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
From the way the players talk, that is just Coach Fennelly to a T -- he is going to give it to you straight. Those that play for him and understand him, seem to like his honesty. He tells it like it is to his players.

His description of what went wrong was right on. Simple but true.

Also, as rants go, it wasn't out of control. He was very forceful in his response, it was emotional, but it stayed respectful.

It's okay for the reporter to ask the question and be ready to deal with the answer. The reporter seemed to handle it well, so credit to him.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
For the various posts that have or will mention it, there is a difference between EFFORT and FOCUS. The team could lack focus at times, and make mistakes, but still give full effort, both physically and mentally.