Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I hope no one buys CBS and the a-hole sits on it forever. I was in there shopping for Christmas gifts (t shirts and sweat shirts) and he sent some one outside to collect license plate info to get vehicles towed. Apparently they were very anal about their parking situation there.

with how many students that pry try to park there to go to class every day and the lack of off street parking besides his lot i can't say i blame him...

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
My bet is it will sit empty for awhile. With the underground storage tanks, there is some environmental cleanup that will be necessary, making it a less than ideal site.

Exactly. As someone with experience in environmental law, I would also be willing to bet the old Kum-and-Go location at Welch and Chamberlain sits empty for awhile.

In addition to the risks and costs associated with underground storage tanks, including contaminated soil and the prospect of removing the tanks (which can cost a lot depending on the type of tanks), gas stations often have other environmental problems. It's not uncommon to find illegal antifreeze disposal, battery disposal, etc. around gas stations. Worse, there could be groundwater contamination. This is in addition to the typical risks of lead piping, asbestos, etc. that often accompany older buildings. When was that building built?

Any prospective buyer would conduct a Phase I investigation (and possibly a Phase II if warranted) to see what kind of remediation would need to be done. While Kum-and-Go is certainly liable as the past owner / operator of the property, federal environmental law would also impose liability on a new owner / operator. Thus, if there are serious environmental risks disclosed by a Phase I, even a tenant, not just a prospective buyer, could be taking on astronomical risk from the owner (which isn't easy to contract around). Unless the tenant negotiates a super deal with the owner which properly accounts for that risk from the tenant's perspective, we're unlikely to see that spot occupied for some time.

The good thing about that property is that it's in a fantastic location. Thus, there will certainly be interested buyers, but we'll only see action quickly if the environmental risks prove to be relatively clear and the price of those risks is fairly built into the negotiation. If Kum-and-Go owns the lot, I bet we'll see a new tenant / owner within 6 months to a year. If it's an individual around Ames, it's anybody's guess. It could sit empty as an eyesore for years. That, in my opinion, is sad because that corner is fundamental to campus town and to see it sit empty would detract from the atmosphere.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Exactly. As someone with experience in environmental law, I would also be willing to bet the old Kum-and-Go location at Welch and Chamberlain sits empty for awhile.

In addition to the risks and costs associated with underground storage tanks, including contaminated soil and the prospect of removing the tanks (which can cost a lot depending on the type of tanks), gas stations often have other environmental problems. It's not uncommon to find illegal antifreeze disposal, battery disposal, etc. around gas stations. Worse, there could be groundwater contamination. This is in addition to the typical risks of lead piping, asbestos, etc. that often accompany older buildings. When was that building built?

Any prospective buyer would conduct a Phase I investigation (and possibly a Phase II if warranted) to see what kind of remediation would need to be done. While Kum-and-Go is certainly liable as the past owner / operator of the property, federal environmental law would also impose liability on a new owner / operator. Thus, if there are serious environmental risks disclosed by a Phase I, even a tenant, not just a prospective buyer, could be taking on astronomical risk from the owner (which isn't easy to contract around). Unless the tenant negotiates a super deal with the owner which properly accounts for that risk from the tenant's perspective, we're unlikely to see that spot occupied for some time.

The good thing about that property is that it's in a fantastic location. Thus, there will certainly be interested buyers, but we'll only see action quickly if the environmental risks prove to be relatively clear and the price of those risks is fairly built into the negotiation. If Kum-and-Go owns the lot, I bet we'll see a new tenant / owner within 6 months to a year. If it's an individual around Ames, it's anybody's guess. It could sit empty as an eyesore for years. That, in my opinion, is sad because that corner is fundamental to campus town and to see it sit empty would detract from the atmosphere.

Not only that, but I'm sure the State Historical Preservation Office will get involved as well, making it an even longer process.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
with how many students that pry try to park there to go to class every day and the lack of off street parking besides his lot i can't say i blame him...

I worked for the guy for a semester.... trust me he's an *** hole and it extends beyond him getting the occasional student trying to take advantage of him

Did enjoy the merchandize there though

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why does campus town need a huge gas station? The city of Ames has repeatedly failed to do something worth while with the area, ISU has to have the worst campustown in the country.

Kum and Go seems to have a good business plan and doing very well for itself. If Casesy's didnt have dounats and Pizza they would really be putting the hurt on them,,

Kum and Go sells gas to get you into the store They make money on junk food, candy, pop, beer, and cigs.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I hope no one buys CBS and the a-hole sits on it forever. I was in there shopping for Christmas gifts (t shirts and sweat shirts) and he sent some one outside to collect license plate info to get vehicles towed. Apparently they were very anal about their parking situation there.

How awful for someone to not want random cars clogging up their lot during their open hours. Who does he think he is??

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Its been a couple years since Kum and Go purchased these buildings, anyone know if they are still planning to build their new store? Any word on where Battles BBQ might relocate if they are?

CyNerd

Jul 2, 2014
If you go into the current Kum and Go and ask any of the employees, they are more than happy to provide information. They own the Battles/Campus Liquor building and the Post Office building at this point. I believe they are trying to buy the T-Galaxy (now interim leasing office for the 23TwentyLincoln), but due to some overzealous building owners they can't finalize a deal.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
If you go into the current Kum and Go and ask any of the employees, they are more than happy to provide information. They own the Battles/Campus Liquor building and the Post Office building at this point. I believe they are trying to buy the T-Galaxy (now interim leasing office for the 23TwentyLincoln), but due to some overzealous building owners they can't finalize a deal.

Seems like the Battle's BBQ and post office parcels would be enough to build a large new store.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
What's going where the current K&G is?

It probably will be like all the old Casey's buildings and sit empty forever with tons of weeds growing up around them.

I know a Casey's back where I was from wanted the new owner to remove the old gas tanks due to regulations that they had to be removed. No buyer wanted to do that, so it sat empty forever. Finally Casey's went in and pulled them out and now the business has changed numerous times with the most being a small car lot.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
From what I've heard and what I read in another thread(maybe this one?) the gas is staying where it's at. The location across the street will be just a big convenience store.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
From what I've heard and what I read in another thread(maybe this one?) the gas is staying where it's at. The location across the street will be just a big convenience store.

Zero chance this is true. Not only does it fall outside of Kum and Go's business model, the current gas station set-up on the west side of Welch is an absolute disaster, and Im guessing Kum and Go can't wait to part ways with it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I've heard the new Kum and Go will have the gas tanks on the east side of the building so they're not visible from the street and the store will offer a larger selection of food, grocery, and liquor than they're standard stores.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Ya, Kum and Go will be moving across the street with gas station pumps in back not roadside. Also, they still own their current spot and I would guess they will have some major major stipulations on what will go there or who they sell it to. I don't think they would ever sell or permit any competing or quasi-competing business to go there. So, I guess time will tell, but I wouldn't expect them to move across the street for a couple more years and hopefully they really go all out on their layout, design, facade, and incorporate some unique features!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron