Golf Pass Etiquette

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
beer should be bought by guest or at least offered. i took a guy out this week to TCI and picked up lunch and golf, he bought beer on the course. I was planning on buying the beer, but he insisted which i didn't object.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I went in with 3 of my buddies to purchase a "corporate membership" at a local golf course at the start of the year. This allows us a total of 4 free rounds of golf, including cart, per day, 7 days a week.

This really works out well for the four of us. Two are teachers with very active summer weekends, which means they can play a lot during the week. Myself and the 4th guy have 8-5, M-F type jobs, so we get the weekends.

We are able to play for free, and bring anybody we want to fill a 4-some, who in turn play for free.

My question is, since we made the initial investment, is it too much to expect those we have brought along multiple times to pick up the tab for beers (or at least to stuff a ton of beers in their bag)? We are not really a corporation, so it's not like we are bringing 'customers'. We are bringing other friends who may not golf as much as we do, or would like.

I ask, because there are a couple who have used this deal multiple times, and have never offered anything, while others are quick to do so. Just wondering if you all think I (and the other 3) have a legitimate beef with the ones I now consider flat out free loaders.

Are you sure they're beer drinkers? :smile:

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I went in with 3 of my buddies to purchase a "corporate membership" at a local golf course at the start of the year. This allows us a total of 4 free rounds of golf, including cart, per day, 7 days a week.

This really works out well for the four of us. Two are teachers with very active summer weekends, which means they can play a lot during the week. Myself and the 4th guy have 8-5, M-F type jobs, so we get the weekends.

We are able to play for free, and bring anybody we want to fill a 4-some, who in turn play for free.

My question is, since we made the initial investment, is it too much to expect those we have brought along multiple times to pick up the tab for beers (or at least to stuff a ton of beers in their bag)? We are not really a corporation, so it's not like we are bringing 'customers'. We are bringing other friends who may not golf as much as we do, or would like.

I ask, because there are a couple who have used this deal multiple times, and have never offered anything, while others are quick to do so. Just wondering if you all think I (and the other 3) have a legitimate beef with the ones I now consider flat out free loaders.

I'm also not much of a golfer, but I would say it depends on if they know you are expecting them to buy drinks for you. Personally, I would have no problem buying you some drinks if I was invited along, but I wouldn't automatically think of doing it on my own. If I was in the situation of the freeloader I would just assume that since I was invited to come for free, there would be no need to compensate you. If I asked to come along for free without being invited, then I would definitely be sure to buy you a few drinks without any prompts.

Maybe invite one freeloader and one drink buyer or let them know you'd appreciate seeing something in return for the free round of golf and see what happens.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm also not much of a golfer, but I would say it depends on if they know you are expecting them to buy drinks for you. Personally, I would have no problem buying you some drinks if I was invited along, but I wouldn't automatically think of doing it on my own. If I was in the situation of the freeloader I would just assume that since I was invited to come for free, there would be no need to compensate you. If I asked to come along for free without being invited, then I would definitely be sure to buy you a few drinks without any prompts.

Maybe invite one freeloader and one drink buyer or let them know you'd appreciate seeing something in return for the free round of golf and see what happens.

Sorry, but they shouldn't have to ask. The guest should be offering to pick up beer, gas or anything else they can think of.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

You have no legitimate beef, you invited them. However, you can easily stop inviting them. When I give people football tickets I never ask them for money. If they ask if they can give me anything and I'm taking them with me, I say you can buy me beer at the game. But if they didn't offer, I still wouldn't mind. Then again they always offer.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, but they shouldn't have to ask. The guest should be offering to pick up beer, gas or anything else they can think of.

Like I said, I'm not a golfer, but that just seems a bit ridiculous to me. Maybe it's proper etiquette and I'm a total rube.

Imagining myself in the OP's situation I would not expect an invited guest to automatically do anything you are suggesting. In fact, if they did keep offering to do all of that I would feel uncomfortable and I would ask them to stop making those offers. I just don't feel like I need friends paying me to play golf with me. Since that's the way I would feel as the host, if I were the guest I would not automatically think to be buying the host free drinks all day. However, as I said before if that is the expectation of the host I am perfectly willing to buy some drinks in return for the free golf game.

If someone I would not otherwise invite asked to come along for a free ride or if I felt they were just trying to use me as a source of free golf, that's another story.

*edit* Pulse, I totally agree. If you invite someone along for free, you've sort of given up your right to expect compensation. If you want something in return you need to make that clear up front. It sounds like you know these people, so why not just talk it out among friends? Otherwise, just stop inviting them.

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think if you invite someone to come along and expect them to pay for things then you're wrong. If that's what you want then advertise them on Craigslist.

But the right thing to do as far as the friend is concerned is to at least offer to pay for something (drinks, food, whatever) as a thank you for being treated to a round of golf for free.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I think if you invite someone to come along and expect them to pay for things then you're wrong. If that's what you want then advertise them on Craigslist.

But the right thing to do as far as the friend is concerned is to at least offer to pay for something (drinks, food, whatever) as a thank you for being treated to a round of golf for free.

I could not have said it better. I agree.

And if you are actually wanting beer money out of the deal, just sell them the round for $10, $20, whatever. You get beer money and they still get a deal. You have to sacrifice looking like a big shot for 'treating them' though.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
If it were I, I wouldn't expect the guests to buy my drinks or anything else. But at the same time if I were the guest I would certainly offer to buy a round after the round.

GeorgeCloney

Aug 24, 2010
Polk City
You do have a legitimate beef. If they are friends of yours, you need to tell them to go buy some ****ing beer (you shouldn't have too--but this is the only way they will get it) If they are not friends, they are not invited back.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I agree that you shouldn't have to ask, if they are friends that can swing it they will offer. But I also agree with others that you have no beef. If you don't like it, don't ask them. Hell, they may be going because it's free, otherwise they would play a different course, with other people, or not at all. I don't know the situation here.

All of that said, I will gladly buy you beers all day long for a free round.