Golf Pass Etiquette

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I went in with 3 of my buddies to purchase a "corporate membership" at a local golf course at the start of the year. This allows us a total of 4 free rounds of golf, including cart, per day, 7 days a week.

This really works out well for the four of us. Two are teachers with very active summer weekends, which means they can play a lot during the week. Myself and the 4th guy have 8-5, M-F type jobs, so we get the weekends.

We are able to play for free, and bring anybody we want to fill a 4-some, who in turn play for free.

My question is, since we made the initial investment, is it too much to expect those we have brought along multiple times to pick up the tab for beers (or at least to stuff a ton of beers in their bag)? We are not really a corporation, so it's not like we are bringing 'customers'. We are bringing other friends who may not golf as much as we do, or would like.

I ask, because there are a couple who have used this deal multiple times, and have never offered anything, while others are quick to do so. Just wondering if you all think I (and the other 3) have a legitimate beef with the ones I now consider flat out free loaders.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
(note: I've only golfed one time in my life, so take it with a grain of salt)

If I was the guy tagging along I would have no problem either throwing some cash your way or like you said picking up tabs for beer. So long as it was just a bit less than what I would pay if it wasn't for your deal I'd be happy to help out and not expect a free pass.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
This is like the 10th etiquette thread this week.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Easy answer. Quit taking them. Then when they ask what happened. Explain that there are others that are willing to pay for the beverages since they are getting a free ride.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I went in with 3 of my buddies to purchase a "corporate membership" at a local golf course at the start of the year. This allows us a total of 4 free rounds of golf, including cart, per day, 7 days a week.

This really works out well for the four of us. Two are teachers with very active summer weekends, which means they can play a lot during the week. Myself and the 4th guy have 8-5, M-F type jobs, so we get the weekends.

We are able to play for free, and bring anybody we want to fill a 4-some, who in turn play for free.

My question is, since we made the initial investment, is it too much to expect those we have brought along multiple times to pick up the tab for beers (or at least to stuff a ton of beers in their bag)? We are not really a corporation, so it's not like we are bringing 'customers'. We are bringing other friends who may not golf as much as we do, or would like.

I ask, because there are a couple who have used this deal multiple times, and have never offered anything, while others are quick to do so. Just wondering if you all think I (and the other 3) have a legitimate beef with the ones I now consider flat out free loaders.
Stop inviting the freeloaders. Or at least invite them only when all others have turned you down.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
How could someone not be willing to give beers for a free round of golf?

If they are not so good of friends, don't invite them back

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
well if you would have read it. i just took the op's post and inserted a few of my own words tongue in cheek because of all the damn etiquette threads. seriously guys take the corn cob out of your *****
I did read it and was absolutely shocked to what I read. I saw your "version" before this thread.

You sir need to take your mind out of the gutter.