Godzilla

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Good, but not great. I agree, there was a distinct lack of Godzilla until the end. I think they were trying to build suspense for an ultimate climax where you finally see Godzilla kicking ***, but it felt more annoying than anything. I didn't really care much for the "human" story.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was actually let down by this--not hard, it was still entertaining, but I never found myself really into either the characters, the story, the plot, or the monsters.

I've always thought there was two ways to do this kind of movie--either shadowy/scary/quasi-horror film, just a big Friday the Thirteen, or go 100% giant monsters and giant monsters punching each other in the mouth. I don't care if the latter is kind of stupid, it's just hilariously entertaining along the way. I thought the original Godzilla and, to a lesser extent, Cloverfield did the first one well, while a lot of the "classic"/stupid Godzilla films did the second one well, and Pacific Rim really knocked it out of the park for some unapologetic fun with enough "world-building" in terms of machines, settings, colors, monsters, themes, and visual allegories to keep it from being banal.

I think this one tried to do a little bit of both but didn't do either one particularly well. The "mystery" and the "payoff" moments loss some luster because (a) they already did one or two for MUTO even before Godzilla (b) we all know who/what Godzilla is at this point, there is no real mystery (c) there were so many false starts on the final reveal that, by the time it actually fully happened, it was more relief of frustration than triumph to finally see our hero. They weren't exactly clear on Godzilla's "status" in this thing either--is he the nihilistic embodiment of science gone awry and nuclear weapons, a larger allegory for pollution/global warming, or a literal folk hero and the personification of humanity's fighting spirit in 300' lizard form? I wasn't really sure besides the "nature's way of bringing balance" and "relic of an ancient ecosystem" and "feeds on radioactivity" hand-waving, which was weak even for this kind of movie. The big reveal in Hawaii was awesome, but, then, THEY IMMEDIATELY CUT AWAY FROM THE FIGHT. WHAT!?!

Pacific Rim had a monster and destruction in its *first scene,* and it was ~5 minutes until Gipsy was in its first robot v. monster fight. That is how you do this the "fun" way. Godzilla finally gave us that fight at the end, but it was so slow and drab looking, and dark, to boot, and rather short. I honestly enjoyed some of the classic rubber suit ones more, never-mind the raw artistry of Pacific Rim (and the increased human element of having the pilots in the machines themselves, making them an extension of the main characters, even if relatively thin ones).

So, yeah, I was hoping for more. Wasn't as suspenseful as it thought it was, never built much real tension, and the payoff needed to come in Hawaii before blowing us away in San Francisco. In the end it was just adequate with one fight too late, which was really the thing as a whole for me. It, for once, even if this was trying to be Jaws more than anything else with the suspense, waited too long and never developed its true main character/monster in any way because of it.

I'm not a hater, too--I love all those Toho films. To death. Pacific Rim, despite low expectations going in, quickly became a favorite and, to me, a spiritual successor to the "monster rumble" films of the 1970s. This one just didn't hit the line between 50s-style creature feature (i.e. the original GZ) and the former categories, and thus didn't do either particularly well. :/

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Y'all might want to put spoilers up if you're going to discuss plot lines.

Going to see it tomorrow, don't want to know what happens when....

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I was actually let down by this--not hard, it was still entertaining, but I never found myself really into either the characters, the story, the plot, or the monsters.

I've always thought there was two ways to do this kind of movie--either shadowy/scary/quasi-horror film, just a big Friday the Thirteen, or go 100% giant monsters and giant monsters punching each other in the mouth. I don't care if the latter is kind of stupid, it's just hilariously entertaining along the way. I thought the original Godzilla and, to a lesser extent, Cloverfield did the first one well, while a lot of the "classic"/stupid Godzilla films did the second one well, and Pacific Rim really knocked it out of the park for some unapologetic fun with enough "world-building" in terms of machines, settings, colors, monsters, themes, and visual allegories to keep it from being banal.

I think this one tried to do a little bit of both but didn't do either one particularly well. The "mystery" and the "payoff" moments loss some luster because (a) they already did one or two for MUTO even before Godzilla (b) we all know who/what Godzilla is at this point, there is no real mystery (c) there were so many false starts on the final reveal that, by the time it actually fully happened, it was more relief of frustration than triumph to finally see our hero. They weren't exactly clear on Godzilla's "status" in this thing either--is he the nihilistic embodiment of science gone awry and nuclear weapons, a larger allegory for pollution/global warming, or a literal folk hero and the personification of humanity's fighting spirit in 300' lizard form? I wasn't really sure besides the "nature's way of bringing balance" and "relic of an ancient ecosystem" and "feeds on radioactivity" hand-waving, which was weak even for this kind of movie. The big reveal in Hawaii was awesome, but, then, THEY IMMEDIATELY CUT AWAY FROM THE FIGHT. WHAT!?!

Pacific Rim had a monster and destruction in its *first scene,* and it was ~5 minutes until Gipsy was in its first robot v. monster fight. That is how you do this the "fun" way. Godzilla finally gave us that fight at the end, but it was so slow and drab looking, and dark, to boot, and rather short. I honestly enjoyed some of the classic rubber suit ones more, never-mind the raw artistry of Pacific Rim (and the increased human element of having the pilots in the machines themselves, making them an extension of the main characters, even if relatively thin ones).

So, yeah, I was hoping for more. Wasn't as suspenseful as it thought it was, never built much real tension, and the payoff needed to come in Hawaii before blowing us away in San Francisco. In the end it was just adequate with one fight too late, which was really the thing as a whole for me. It, for once, even if this was trying to be Jaws more than anything else with the suspense, waited too long and never developed its true main character/monster in any way because of it.

I'm not a hater, too--I love all those Toho films. To death. Pacific Rim, despite low expectations going in, quickly became a favorite and, to me, a spiritual successor to the "monster rumble" films of the 1970s. This one just didn't hit the line between 50s-style creature feature (i.e. the original GZ) and the former categories, and thus didn't do either particularly well. :/

I think you'll see a lot more of your "monster rumbles" in the sequel(s).

Loved all the little Easter eggs too. Mothra in the fish tank and then the "King of the Monsters" news headline.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Y'all might want to put spoilers up if you're going to discuss plot lines.

Going to see it tomorrow, don't want to know what happens when....
I don't understand clicking on a just released movie thread and expecting everything to be tagged with spoilers.

I enjoyed the movie, I was happy that Godzilla had some great well lit scenes, one aspect that bugged me on Pacific Rim were the monsters always being difficult to make out.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Am I alone in thinking they can just cut the dude's family out of the movie, who really needs the Mommy Mommy scene at the end?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The Japanese scientist acting was terrible. Walking around in shock the whole movie. I thought it was alright overall. Action moments were great though.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Am I alone in thinking they can just cut the dude's family out of the movie, who really needs the Mommy Mommy scene at the end?

I thought generic-but-heroic white people (a Navy vet with combat experience in the Middle East, a dedicated nurse, an adorable child, an ideal family and home life despite him seeing combat and a long separation, etc.) wasn't the best way to try to personify the themes of the film.

The original Godzilla nailed it in this regard--young Japanese people unable to express emotion or love clearly even in private (to go with the overall cover-up of the monster), the elderly scientist not wanting to destroy the beast despite its danger for the sake of "pure science," respect for nature, and finding a way to figure out its resistance to radioactivity, and the other one with the whole Oppenheimer/Malcolm "just because you can doesn't mean you should" about the oxygen destroyer maybe being able to stop Godzilla/nuclear weapons but, after it becomes a weapon in its own right, the disease being worse than the cure.

Sympathetic-but-superficial with no real ties into the themes of the presentation don't help any film.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
The movie was awesome. Definitely got rid of the Matthew Broderick abomination Godzilla from years past. Well worth going to see.