GMAc won't be here next year.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
This program has become an utter joke under McDermott. Shame on him.

This isn't bad luck. This is a problem.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My faith is GMAC is waining.... but, JP has already said he's staying. I don't see him leaving. Part of me wonders if that is simply because JP doesn't see any good prospects out in the pool this year and would like to wait one more year????? Kind of sucks if that's the case and I doubt that it is, but it's a thought.

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
How many starters is this now that GMac has lost over his 4 years? I've lost count.

Hmmmmmmm.......Which has he had more of?:

1. players leaving the team or
2. Big XII wins?

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
Maybe they knew but the fans (bill payers) didn't. The fans will speak.

In my opinion, it won't make a difference if the "bill payers" don't step up and pay the buy out. No way can ISU afford $2MM+ to buy him out AND hire a quality new coach for $600k-$700k. Unfortunately, we might see a decade of futility from Iowa State's men's basketball program.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Even if he comes back next year he is officially on the hot seat and we all no a lame duck coach is not going to recruit when those recruiting against him can tell the kid he won't be there much longer. On the other end Coach Mac knows he needs to win immediately so he will be looking for quick fix jucos which are so hit and miss. Things are really bad right now. In college sports you need a stable coach or to move on immediately.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Interesting prediction. I cant see JP going back on his word. That just wont happen. Not after the tone of his apology letter.
Maybe he will "insist" GMac resign behind closed doors. I dont know tho......
This is kind of what I was thinking. That way, nobody is either at fault nor to blame. JP said there would be an extension... Greg decides to leave for greener pastures... Nobody got fired, no $$$ loss from the University, that kind of thing. But then again, I don't see this really materializing, unless GMAC gets an offer from somewhere else, soon! (and so the coaching carousel continues, but time is running out!)

goldmember

May 31, 2006
Just a prediction. What's our lowest season ticket sales since Orr was hired?

Tough to say because for some reason the AD didn't keep track until the early 90's.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Why is everybody so suprised?

Did you really think that MG and CB were the only ones going to leave. I said on here two months ago DB wouldn't be back. I have also said on here that Colvin wouldn't be back. I am suprised on Hamilton, and Colvin looks like he'll stay. I just want some people on here to give me some reasons why they are suprised. The players are not leaving because they don't like Mac. They are leaving because they realize they cannot respect him as a coach. They are not getting better as individual players, as a team, and most important they are not winning. WHY ARE YOU SUPRISED?

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Re: Why is everybody so suprised?

I am not surprised at all. Colvin will still be gone in my opinion. He is probably still just shopping schools at this point.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Re: Why is everybody so suprised?

Did you really think that MG and CB were the only ones going to leave. I said on here two months ago DB wouldn't be back. I have also said on here that Colvin wouldn't be back. I am suprised on Hamilton, and Colvin looks like he'll stay. I just want some people on here to give me some reasons why they are suprised. The players are not leaving because they don't like Mac. They are leaving because they realize they cannot respect him as a coach. They are not getting better as individual players, as a team, and most important they are not winning. WHY ARE YOU SUPRISED?
Nice.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but according to my memory McDermott has never received a contract extension.

If true, that means he initially received a contract in the Spring of 2006 which lasted until 2015 OR he exercised some sort of option between 2006 and today. How is this possible?

I think this says two things. One, McDermott was a shrewd negotiator in securing such a ridiculously (9 years!) long contract which was not tied to performance standards at all. Two, Pollard made a huge mistake. Does anyone have more details regarding the contract?

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
Here is an AWESOMELY bad stat. In McD's time here, so far he's brought 4 recruiting classes into the system. In that time, he's recruited 16 high school seniors (non juco guys). Of the 16 that signed up to play for ISU basketball all but 4 have left the team early. Of the 12 that have left, only 1, Brackins, has what I would call an excused abscense, going to the NBA.

Seriously, tell me another program that in a four year period is only retaining 25% of it high school recruits where the coach has not been fired?

This is absolutely ridiculous. I would love to be a fan of another Big 12 team right now so I could see our program from the outside and just laugh and laugh at how pathetic it is. Instead, I'm stuck rooting for this team and this miserable coach. Man I hope there is a change.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Even JP has got to request a confidential meeting with Ham and Buckley. If I was the university president, I would demand that he do it.
Too late. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if JP wouldn't have called the worst press conference an AD has ever pulled. He sticks with his word and goes to the bottom of Lake Laverne with GMAC on this one.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
McDermott should do the right thing

and send in his resignation effective asap

what you always here is players playing like the coach well McDermott should just send in his resignation effective immediatly just like his players leaving him in the dust

McDermott is class act guy and I admire that but even he should know by now he will never be able to put together a team to compete in the Big 12

THIS WAS THE YEAR TO DO GREAT THINGS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron