GMAC Is well Respected by Peers and Media

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
People who have very good basketball knowledge other big twelve coaches and the big 12 media for example all have the utmost respect for GMAC and his ability to coach and recruit. They know he is a good coach and has the ability to lead Iowa State. Expect Jamie Pollard to come out this week or at the Big 12 tourney and give GMAC his full support. He is not going anywhere and we as loyal good bball fans will support this decsion and the team next year. Stay Loyal Clones do not turn into Rat like Hawk fans turning on the program and the Proud Cyclone Nation.

Reactions: cjclone and ppclone

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
Inside information or speculation? And it's been discussed before, his colleagues are being smart by giving him praise. It keeps him here longer, giving them less competition. I wanna believe in Mac, I just have no reason to do so at this point.

Swanson10

Jun 12, 2008
Open respect doesn't win games. Nor is it actually true, of course coaches "respect" him. 1-2 known wins a year would give a coach my open "respect."

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Because everyone else in the Big 12 destroys him regularly. Of course they love him

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
Inside information or speculation? And it's been discussed before, his colleagues are being smart by giving him praise. It keeps him here longer, giving them less competition. I wanna believe in Mac, I just have no reason to do so at this point.

Do you really think Self, Martin, Barnes and others want less competition??? Wake up they want the best teams possible in the big 12 it helps RPI strength of schedule and everyhting else the Tourney looks at. I sure the cry baby whinners on this site know more than the big 12 coaches and Media. Do you really think we shoud start over and gut the program. Be patient it will get better.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
I have yet to hear anyone praise him nearly as much as they did Floyd and Larry - coaches we had who BEAT other Big 12 coaches. Ya know - they won conference games, titles, etc.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Do you really think Self, Martin, Barnes and others want less competition??? Wake up they want the best teams possible in the big 12 it helps RPI strength of schedule and everyhting else the Tourney looks at. I sure the cry baby whinners on this site know more than the big 12 coaches and Media. Do you really think we shoud start over and gut the program. Be patient it will get better.

Thank you sir for saying this. All of these coaches have considerable respect for each other, yes they want to beat the other guy the night they play but having week teams does nothing for the conference and how they are graded. Look at the Big Ten in football, everyone bashes them when it comes to the BCS because they don't have as many tough teams as the SEC or Big 12. Basically these coaches don't want easy teams they want teams that will be competitive and will make the conference look better. I know we aren't doing that now but we will give it time, if you fire someone every four years you become a revolving door and will never be good. Orr didn't have a winning season until his fourth or fifth year.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Thank you sir for saying this. All of these coaches have considerable respect for each other, yes they want to beat the other guy the night they play but having week teams does nothing for the conference and how they are graded. Look at the Big Ten in football, everyone bashes them when it comes to the BCS because they don't have as many tough teams as the SEC or Big 12. Basically these coaches don't want easy teams they want teams that will be competitive and will make the conference look better. I know we aren't doing that now but we will give it time, if you fire someone every four years you become a revolving door and will never be good. Orr didn't have a winning season until his fourth or fifth year.

This and This to JCreeks post.

No true competitor wants to play "easy" opponents. You want someone going against you who is a challenge because you know it's makes you better.

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
Great point about needing more than four years. It may take 5 or 6 years. BTW ISU has been competitive in just about every game they played in conference this year. They have played 12 conf games decided by one possesion in the last minute of they game they have been very compettive and just need to find a way to win.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Great point about needing more than four years. It may take 5 or 6 years. BTW ISU has been competitive in just about every game they played in conference this year. They have played 12 conf games decided by one possesion in the last minute of they game they have been very compettive and just need to find a way to win.

I really enjoyed Adam Emenecker's commentary today. One thing that really stuck out was when he was saying how the Drake coach (brain fart on name) was telling him after season how he made coaching mistakes, etc and was going to learn from it.

To me that's a big key. If Mac can look back at last 2 - 3 years and taken an honest assessment of what he (as a coach) is doing wrong. It could make a huge difference.

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
GMAC will be the first to admit his mistakes and what he has learned from them. Pollard needs and will come out this week give him the support he needs and help with recruiting top talent. He will can and will build this program but the constant ******** by fans who want to win right now will not help.. Everyone wants the success we had with Floyd and Larry E but they were not without headaches as well. If GMAC can get this thing rolling he will stay and be loyal to ISU and Fans. He has been nothing but a good public figure and loyal to the clones appreciate him for this if nothing else. And BTW we do have talent coming back plus good recruits we are in on.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
GMAC will be the first to admit his mistakes and what he has learned from them. Pollard needs and will come out this week give him the support he needs and help with recruiting top talent. He will can and will build this program but the constant ******** by fans who want to win right now will not help.. Everyone wants the success we had with Floyd and Larry E but they were not without headaches as well. If GMAC can get this thing rolling he will stay and be loyal to ISU and Fans. He has been nothing but a good public figure and loyal to the clones appreciate him for this if nothing else. And BTW we do have talent coming back plus good recruits we are in on.

I agree but wow. Mac really has to come out next year and show something that he has learned.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Ya, he's a nice guy and he keeps ISU in it's place.......the cellar of the conference.

What's not to love if you're a B12 coach or a member of the non-Iowa media?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am really split on this. It's almost the same situation as McCarney. Everyone loved Mac as well as GMac but in the end it ended ugly. I really want McDermott to suceed here but it just hasn't panned out like we all have wished it would. If we fire him we start all over in a bigger hole then we are now but if we keep him we are stuck with what we have now and have to hope he can surpise us so what is really the best option? His buyout will be expensive and getting a better coach here will be a tough task so we really are in a tough spot...

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
In other news, the coach of the Harlem Globetrotters just stated how much respect he has for the coach of the Washington Generals. "I know we've beaten them 2,323 straight times," said the Globetrotters coach, "but the Generals coach is builiding his program the right way. They've had some bad luck with us being able to dribble between their legs and surprise them by pulling down their shorts. However, I'm confident that if the Generals fans wait it out for another fifteen to twenty years, they may be able to sneak one past us."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Open respect doesn't win games. Nor is it actually true, of course coaches "respect" him. 1-2 known wins a year would give a coach my open "respect."

Because everyone else in the Big 12 destroys him regularly. Of course they love him

These comments are so off base it's completely ridiculous. I'm not much of a defender anymore, but coaches don't patronize fellow coaches by buttering them up in the media by saying they're great coaches in hopes the school would keep them around for an easy win or two. Such a comment is so shallow it would be seen through and the coaches making those statements would lose tons of respect nationally. If one coach says another coach is a good coach, he means that he is a good coach.

I understand that there's a lot of dislike for GMac at this point, and I'm no fan anymore either, but can we please start acting like the adults that most of us are - or if that's too difficult at least stop making **** up? There's plenty of rope to hang him with without having to pile on fallacies...

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

The people who think all these other coaches are blowing sunshine up reporter's butts to try and keep him here are stupid. Unless all the coaches have no self esteem. I don't think Bill Self is all to worried about who's coaching the other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am really split on this. It's almost the same situation as McCarney. Everyone loved Mac as well as GMac but in the end it ended ugly. I really want McDermott to suceed here but it just hasn't panned out like we all have wished it would. If we fire him we start all over in a bigger hole then we are now but if we keep him we are stuck with what we have now and have to hope he can surpise us so what is really the best option? His buyout will be expensive and getting a better coach here will be a tough task so we really are in a tough spot...

We did not even win the Missouri game this time.