Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since you're in college, I will make it easy:

Anything but Barton's.

The gin haters don't know what they're missing. Gin is the 2nd best hard liquor, after whiskey.

Reactions: Alswelk

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
1. Bombay Sapphire $25
2. Tanqueray $23
3. New Amsterdam (walmart has it for $13 but on sale sometimes for $11) It's not bad for the price

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I'm big on gin n tonics but am curious about gin martinis. Anybody have tips or a certain vermouth to try?

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
If you want to make a martini then I would go with Bombay Saphire. Don't be afraid of vermouth in the martini.

For a gin and tonic I would vote for Tanqueray Rangpur gin. Has more of a citrus taste and not quite so heavy on the juniper. My favorite thing for G&T is to use both fresh limes and lemons. The lemon balances out the lime and is really refreshing.

This. Was a devoted Saphire fan until a buddy turned me on to Rangpur. Hadn't thought about the lemon. Excellent suggestion. :yes:

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Since you're in college, I will make it easy:

Anything but Barton's.

The gin haters don't know what they're missing. Gin is the 2nd best hard liquor, after whiskey.

I am fully aware of what I am missing, not much. :yes:

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
I'm big on gin n tonics but am curious about gin martinis. Anybody have tips or a certain vermouth to try?

Really no difference in vermouth in my opinion. I got light on the vermouth...shake it over the ice, drain the shaker, and then do the gin. Otherwise, pour a little vermouth in the martini glass, swirl it to coat the inside of the glass and then dump it.

Olives are the classic garnish...try some olive juice if it's too dry/strong for your taste. See a lot of people using cucumber as a garnish lately...tastes a lot better than it sounds.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Cyguy - after all this wonderful advice - what did you end up with? Quite honestly, gin can be a rather acquired taste. Nothing wrong with all those who recommended Bombay, Tanqueray. Stats is spot on with Hendricks, especially in the summer/warm months. A little known and rather inexpensive option is Boodles, and it's not bad at all. Someone suggested the Seagrams family of gins - yes indeed. Seagrams lime is quite nice. And if you ever get to Montana, Silvertip is a quite refreshing and very clean and crisp gin. If only they distributed to Iowa...
I ended up with Gordon's London Dry Gin 750ML for $10. Then I got a bottle of cranberry juice for about $3. Lastly, I got a couple bottles of Sprite with my dinning dollars. So the price wasn't too bad.
As for my mixture, it wasn't the best drink I have ever had but it wasn't bad. I definitely sensed the pine taste. Really wish I went with the gin and tonic tonight though. Ended up not going down to campus down just to a friends place so I would have been able to keep the drink could pretty well.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've never been able to tolerate gin ... and I'm not overly picky about hard liquor.

The taste of gin makes me think I'm drinking household cleaner.

Bottom line: When it comes to gin, avoid the Mr. Clean line. :spinny:

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I ended up with Gordon's London Dry Gin 750ML for $10. Then I got a bottle of cranberry juice for about $3. Lastly, I got a couple bottles of Sprite with my dinning dollars. So the price wasn't too bad.
As for my mixture, it wasn't the best drink I have ever had but it wasn't bad. I definitely sensed the pine taste. Really wish I went with the gin and tonic tonight though. Ended up not going down to campus down just to a friends place so I would have been able to keep the drink could pretty well.

Dude, I understand your situation, but gin and Sprite/cranberry juice just doesn't work. Those are vodka drinks. If you're worried about the price, gin can actually be cheaper. You can buy 1L tonic bottles for $0.99, and limes are often $0.50. If you can't afford limes, that crappy lime juice will do (and lasts in the fridge for ages...making it very easy). I drink G&Ts all year round....but wait until next summer and you have one on a hot summer day (wedding receptions really come to mind).....they are the best.

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina

Just admit you went with the wine coolers...

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Amsterdam is horrible, btw. Bombay or Tanqueray will suffice until you can afford more. Make sure and get lime. Gin and Tonics are second to none when it comes to mixed drinks. Those vodka women can have it for themselves. :D

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

That is not a good combination. Those flavors do not mix well. Tonic Water and Limes are all you need. It's cheap. It's easy. It's tasty. There's no reason to experiment with gin. There are plenty of tried and true recipes already out there. Stick with the G&T, martini, or Tom Collins.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron