Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
RIP

romerozombies.jpg

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I still watch the original NOTLD on a pretty regular basis.

"They're coming to get you, Barbara...."
Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead are two of my all-time favorites. Romero is really the one who started my love for zombie movies. Now zombies are ******* everywhere: movies, books, etc. but people forget Romero was the one who pretty much created zombies as we know them today in movies/TV. Before that they were just ghouls and would not cause people they bit to turn into zombies. The guy was a ******* pioneer.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead are two of my all-time favorites. Romero is really the one who started my love for zombie movies. Now zombies are ******* everywhere: movies, books, etc. but people forget Romero was the one who pretty much created zombies as we know them today in movies/TV. Before that they were just ghouls and would not cause people they bit to turn into zombies. The guy was a ******* pioneer.
Every time I am channel surfing and see Dawn of The Dead I'm always disappointed it's the remake. I haven't seen the original Dawn in an eternity.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Every time I am channel surfing and see Dawn of The Dead I'm always disappointed it's the remake. I haven't seen the original Dawn in an eternity.
I like the remake as well, but it still falls short of the original. The Night of the Living Dead remake by Tom Savini and starring Tony Todd is actually pretty good as well.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Night of the Living Dead is one of my all time favorties. Every time I saw his age I have been surprised by how young he was. He was 77 when he passed away but I always thought of him about 10 years older than that. He is one of the most influential movie makers in horror and will be missed.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The documentary "Nightmare Factory" is about Greg Nicotero's special effects studio. They talk about how he got his start in the industry.
His dad was a doctor in Pittsburgh and as kids he and is brother had a movie camera and spent their spare time doing sci fi and horror flicks. One summer his dad took the family to Italy for summer vacation. They were eating in a restaurant and just happened to be sitting by George Romero who was working with Dario Argento. As any teenager he went up to George to tell him that he was a fan of NOTLD. Next thing you know George is telling him he is going to be back in Pittsburgh soon to start working on Dawn of the Dead and he could come watch. There Greg met Tom Savini and it all started from there.

• Informative
Reactions: 3GenClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The documentary "Nightmare Factory" is about Greg Nicotero's special effects studio. They talk about how he got his start in the industry.
His dad was a doctor in Pittsburgh and as kids he and is brother had a movie camera and spent their spare time doing sci fi and horror flicks. One summer his dad took the family to Italy for summer vacation. They were eating in a restaurant and just happened to be sitting by George Romero who was working with Dario Argento. As any teenager he went up to George to tell him that he was a fan of NOTLD. Next thing you know George is telling him he is going to be back in Pittsburgh soon to start working on Dawn of the Dead and he could come watch. There Greg met Tom Savini and it all started from there.

Nobody owns a genre the way he owns zombies. The influence on The Walking Dead is obvious then you dig deeper and it's even more of an influence than the obvious.

I love Night of the Living Dead but to me Dawn of the Dead is just the huge breakthrough. Compare it to other horror movies of the time and it's like night and day how much deeper and entertaining it was and made a statement about our world too. I like the remake too, one of the few times a remake delivered without disgracing the original.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO