Geno responds to Kim Mulkey

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
I mean as someone who pointed out above if the ones (and that’s everyone like coaches and officials too) on the court the day of the game tested negative, you can’t just conjure the virus out of thin air.

If programs are skirting their results and lying about anyone that has COVID, then yes it could happen. But that’s not Geno’s point. His point is on the assumption that people are truthful about testing, and his point is probably 99% correct. Hence why he said almost zero.

I have changed my mind a lot since moving to CT. Got to actually talk to him at a function one time for about ten minutes, and the guy off the court is not the same guy on the court. He’s funny as hell, super genuine almost to a fault because he just tells it like it is. He doesn’t BS on subjects. On the court he is a master at motivating and getting the absolute most out of his players. But he is tough as hell, and like Fennelly, it takes a certain type of player to be coached like that.

Just my personal thoughts on Geno after getting to speak to him and go to many UConn women’s games since my wife is a grad from their and is obsessed with women’s basketball.

Definitely not a medical expert, but had a family member test negative for COVID & was showing symptoms a couple of days later. Was tested again & the results came back positive.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Every team has the option to opt out - cancel the season. As for Kim - she recruits great talent and she wins. That's her job.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Definitely not a medical expert, but had a family member test negative for COVID & was showing symptoms a couple of days later. Was tested again & the results came back positive.
Sorry I should have been more precise. Negative tests that are actually negative (yes this can’t really be curtailed since false tests can occur) AND that those people actually don’t have the virus in their body just waiting to show symptoms. Thank you for calling me in that one so I could elaborate.

Geno is simply saying the risk is reduced to the point that if they were just out on their own not going through the protocol then they likely have a higher chance of contracting it compared to inside the program and specifically on the playing field.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
As far as teams lying about COVID it already happened at the state volleyball tournament this year. 2 teams played with COVID knowing they had it- Others followed the rules and didn't go or sat players they knew were positive.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
...........Geno is simply saying the risk is reduced to the point that if they were just out on their own not going through the protocol then they likely have a higher chance of contracting it compared to inside the program and specifically on the playing field.

If Geno would have used this 'risk is reduced' verbiage it would have been much closer to reality, in my non-MD opinion.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Never said I had data, hence the reason Idk if he's right or wrong either. I'd like to see Geno's, otherwise I'll just chalk it up to non-medical coach speak.

I would think that playing basketball would be about as high of a transmission rate as you could possibly see. Players are breathing hard and sweating in close contact. That said, the reason why they aren't getting COVID from playing is that all the players are tested prior to games. The players that have COVID or are out for contact tracing are not on the floor. So, even without the data, I'd be surprised if he isn't right.

Reactions: NWICY

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If Geno would have used this 'risk is reduced' verbiage it would have been much closer to reality, in my non-MD opinion.
Maybe but I don’t think we have to spoon feed everything to a tee. At some point people have to use their common sense (scary in today’s world I know). I would have loved to have had a set of protocol the past year to know if I ever had COVID or not. And I think other than not playing and isolating by yourself for this whole thing, which Geno laid out clearly isn’t an option unless you want women’s and even most men’s sports to basically get chopped, this is absolutely the best way to go about it with rigorous testing and safety measures for these programs.

I also think what he said is so simple but people can’t wrap their minds around it. If you don’t want to play or coach, you don’t have to. You have plenty of staff that could be interim coach for this year. No one that is worth a damn is going to shame anyone for putting their health first and sitting the year out.

Just a balancing act and all you can do is the absolute best that you can to get through this.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I think if that empire she has down in Waco came crashing down due to some serious recruiting issues or any other major cheating scandal, no body would really be surprised.
I would be. Here's the reason: their FB program proved to be one of the filthiest in the nation - regardless of decade - and what happened? Their MBB team was embroiled in scandal under Coach Bliss - what happened? VERY LITTLE. In fact, Drew was able to get players to BU because of the promise of "all that guaranteed playing time." The BU Admin and NCAA were immensely complicit in the disgusting happenings at that University. Seems like the oil industry's power and $$ effectively keep scandal from causing too much trouble down there, imo.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Maybe but I don’t think we have to spoon feed everything to a tee. At some point people have to use their common sense (scary in today’s world I know). I would have loved to have had a set of protocol the past year to know if I ever had COVID or not. And I think other than not playing and isolating by yourself for this whole thing, which Geno laid out clearly isn’t an option unless you want women’s and even most men’s sports to basically get chopped, this is absolutely the best way to go about it with rigorous testing and safety measures for these programs.

I also think what he said is so simple but people can’t wrap their minds around it. If you don’t want to play or coach, you don’t have to. You have plenty of staff that could be interim coach for this year. No one that is worth a damn is going to shame anyone for putting their health first and sitting the year out.

Just a balancing act and all you can do is the absolute best that you can to get through this.

What exactly is being spoon fed?

I agree with his position about the financials, players wanting to play, reduced risk when under campus protocals, the right to opt out, but not his medical proclamation that there is almost zero risk of transmission on the court. He might be right, or just sharing his circumstational theory.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

So UConn players stayed on campus for the holidays and BU players went home. Tough decision, but the coaches had a choice to make for their team.

Geno:"What if they do stay here and there's still no games because something happens?" he said. "Maybe that's what we should have done in the first place -- just told them to stay home the whole first semester, and we'll practice the whole month of January and play Feb. 1. Right now, they're not going home for Christmas, and that sucks to be honest with you. But that's life."

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Holy cow people, Geno is a BB coach, he stated what he thinks, he doesn't have to pullout a bar graph and 20 page statistical analysis. He isn't Dr. Fauci and doesn't claim to be.

From as near as I remember the athletes at ISU are getting tested 3-4 times per wk, unless your in the medical or healthcare provider field, I'm guessing that's way more testing than 99.99% of the population. Can they still get it sure, are they more likely than the general population I doubt it.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Was it the Iowa State women's team that wore masks during the game at the beginning of the season?

Could be wrong, but I was thinking that the first time they hadn't worn masks was at their 1st game??? They still wear them on the sideline when they aren't playing.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was it the Iowa State women's team that wore masks during the game at the beginning of the season?

Never in game that I know of, there were some practice pics of them being masked, If I remember right the deep bench players are still wearing masks but I may be mistaken.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Baylor lost a game and their coach took the easy way out and blamed covid. Covid is to blame for anything and everything these days. We’re all going to “hang onto” covid as long as possible. Yes it is very tiring.

Reactions: royalcy

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

"The more games we win and the further we go, the more admirers we attract and the more people that don't want us to win anymore," he said. "I admire Pat for the way she handled that all those years, because I don't think I'm handling it as well as she did. She had a lot more restraint and a lot more sense than I do. That's probably what I miss about about her. She was always able to look past all the trivial stuff and concentrate on the big stuff".

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

"The more games we win and the further we go, the more admirers we attract and the more people that don't want us to win anymore," he said. "I admire Pat for the way she handled that all those years, because I don't think I'm handling it as well as she did. She had a lot more restraint and a lot more sense than I do. That's probably what I miss about about her. She was always able to look past all the trivial stuff and concentrate on the big stuff".
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm starting to like Geno the statesman.