General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
When I asked Dresser about rule changes on the Tailgate Tour he didn't think there would be many changes so it will be interesting to see if/how many more are made.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
When I asked Dresser about rule changes on the Tailgate Tour he didn't think there would be many changes so it will be interesting to see if/how many more are made.
Changes in rules, or effect of the rule changes that are coming?

If the latter, I agree. 3 point TDs won’t affect change the way people think it will, I’m afraid.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
MFF counting as a loss is massive. Guys can’t just enter a tournament now and MFF out on the backside or after a few matches without being penalized
It will kill tourneys even more than they already are.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The only proposed rule change, there were 14, to not pass was the one that would have made back points required to secure the RT point.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Completely disagree..i think this is GREAT for wrestling
It has potential. We’ll see and I definitely hope you’re right. Seems to be a trend of defensive wrestling from neutral and I think this might make guys even more cautious to shoot. Will be interesting to see some takedown stats halfway into next season.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think I tend to side with this when it comes to 3 point takedowns. So much scoring in college is off of counter-offense. Now that takedowns are 3 points, you might see some guys shell up more and drive less action.
Then wrestlers will have to adapt again and learn new ways to score and become more self generated offensive rather than counter offensive. Not a bad thing, keep evolving

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Counter attacks are still attacks..dudes that are aggressive and finish will thrive IMO.

I hate that you can (previously) take down someone 3 times and let them up and only be +3. Then the other wrestler starts down, gets out and scores a takedown and now its tied? I just don't like the ratio of takedown to escape. But I also prefer a lot of things about freestyle so that may be why I lean this way. We'll see how it goes. I also just think it will make getting a takedown even more exciting for fans (shrug)

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Counter attacks are still attacks..dudes that are aggressive and finish will thrive IMO.

I hate that you can (previously) take down someone 3 times and let them up and only be +3. Then the other wrestler starts down, gets out and scores a takedown and now its tied? I just don't like the ratio of takedown to escape. But I also prefer a lot of things about freestyle so that may be why I lean this way. We'll see how it goes. I also just think it will make getting a takedown even more exciting for fans (shrug)
I prefer freestyle, but the whole thing of folkstyle is control. The easy way not to have the scenario you mentioned is tk not let the guy up. Ride.

I’d be all in on a switch to free. This does not help create action imo

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think you have to give it 3 or 4 years to see what the best coaches are doing and how they change their technique and practice strategies that effect their game plan and tactics. Some guys will take advantage of it similar to Spencer Lee and the 4 point tilt. More points means more focus and adapting to the advantages in front of you

Reactions: cy4state

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
I prefer freestyle, but the whole thing of folkstyle is control. The easy way not to have the scenario you mentioned is tk not let the guy up. Ride.

I’d be all in on a switch to free. This does not help create action imo
I agree. Freestyle is my favorite style to watch. Plus, the match is never tied by the end of the 1st period.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
I agree. Freestyle is my favorite style to watch. Plus, the match is never tied by the end of the 1st period.
OK, here's my novice take on freestyle: Seems kind of silly you can rack up 10 points & end a match by continually rolling a guy with one lace or gutwrench. Would make more sense to me if you had to hold an exposed position for a count or if you couldn't get multiple awards for the same hold.