General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
I don’t know. As much as I don’t like the Hawks, I do like Lee. Not sure if we’re hearing Ayala is a diva or Lee. If Lee, well, that sumbitch has earned the right to tell Tom and Terry how much he needs to be on the mat. Shoot. This tournament was world class versus jv of jv. Why he was wrestling in this one is beyond my comprehension. If Ayala is the diva, well, hahahaha….

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
They, not even sure who they is, are not on the same page.

Coaches, Lee, Ayala, parents, something isn’t right
Sure, its a tense moment. But even so, the only really remarkable thing is the very inappropriate social media whine from Ayala's mom. And I bet if she had taken a five minute time out to quit thinking like a 10 year old, she never would have written it.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and OKClones

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CyGold

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
Disagree. If there's fault here, it's the fact that a top ranked program loaded all its athletes into a "home-cookin'" low quality event. And then--gasp--they had to wrestle each other. What did they think would happen?
My biggest takeaway on it is Lee doesn’t work out in the room and does his own thing. I am a Lee fan but that definitely is an interesting wrinkle over there.

Reactions: cy4state

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
It is possible that it was instigated by Ayala family. Still coaches should of controlled it.

Reminds me of when coaches were accused of taking side with Gilman & Dennis leading up to Olympics

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
I don’t know. As much as I don’t like the Hawks, I do like Lee. Not sure if we’re hearing Ayala is a diva or Lee. If Lee, well, that sumbitch has earned the right to tell Tom and Terry how much he needs to be on the mat. Shoot. This tournament was world class versus jv of jv. Why he was wrestling in this one is beyond my comprehension. If Ayala is the diva, well, hahahaha….
To clarify it is Lee being referred to as a diva by teammates. He’s also earned the right to do whatever he wants but if he thinks training away from Tom and Terry is best for him that speaks volumes.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Maybe Ayala came to win? Isn’t that what you want your guys to do? Why should he forfeit to Lee? Lee shouldn’t even be wrestling.
Agreed. But then your mom shouldn't cry on social media when you get pinned. It seems like Ayala wanted to compete "kinda"--implying SL should have gone easy on him.

And by the way, based on what I've seen SL will do just fine in his post wrestling career. Probably more so than Ayala.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really enjoyed learning more about coach Metcalf. As someone who grew up in north central Iowa and moved to Michigan many years ago, I appreciated his points about the wrestling culture in Iowa vs many other states. People here often don’t believe me when I describe standing room only crowds in high school basketball gyms for wrestling meets . It really was something special and I hope it’s continuing today.
Unfortunately no it isn’t. A lot of forfeit parades in 1A and 2A schools.

• Sad
Reactions: Eagle78

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Agreed. But then your mom shouldn't cry on social media when you get pinned. It seems like Ayala wanted to compete "kinda"--implying SL should have gone easy on him.

And by the way, based on what I've seen SL will do just fine in his post wrestling career. Probably more so than Ayala.
I don’t think anyone was implying that Lee should “take it easy”.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I don’t think anyone was implying that Lee should “take it easy”.
I feel its implicit in the mom's statement to the effect that SL should have behaved like he's wrestling a team mate. Some will say that only had to do with the post match, but I don't read it that way.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Disagree. If there's fault here, it's the fact that a top ranked program loaded all its athletes into a "home-cookin'" low quality event. And then--gasp--they had to wrestle each other. What did they think would happen?

The funny thing is that because of the recent rule change, matches between teammates no longer count on the record.

So the Lee-Ayala match won't be on the official tally for either.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I feel its implicit in the mom's statement to the effect that SL should have behaved like he's wrestling a team mate. Some will say that only had to do with the post match, but I don't read it that way.
I don’t see that at all.

This is what she saw, IMO:

Her son wrestled a teammate. After the match was over, she saw said teammate push her son’s face down as he stood up and stood over her son like a dog. THEN she sees the teammate barely shake her son’s hand, stare her son down from behind as he walks off the mat, mouth to the corner while pointing in her son’s direction. Pause, and do it again.

Lee didn’t want to be out there, period. He’s not taking a MFF though. Just not who he is. He gave Ayala the opportunity to not get embarrassed, and he said “no”. Lee gave him “what he wanted”.

Nobody, Mom included, would have made any mention of this match beyond the score had there not been any post match “stuff”. She wasn’t implying Lee should take it easy on her son at all. Just the respect one gives to a teammate regardless of situation.

That’s my read on it.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I still think there are clear tiers at 165. Title contenders are O’Toole, Griffith, and David. Then you have the next tier of Hamiti, Kharchla, Monday, Ramirez, Amine, and Peyton Hall fighting for spots 4-8 with the Facundos and PKs after as R12 and potential AA contenders
After seeing Carr vs Monday in the all star dual I would put Monday in that top tier. Not much of a gap between those two. This weight alone will be worth the price of admission at Nationals.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
After seeing Carr vs Monday in the all star dual I would put Monday in that top tier. Not much of a gap between those two. This weight alone will be worth the price of admission at Nationals.
The fact that Patrick Kennedy could end up being a R12 or R16 guy… this weight is insanely deep. He still hasn’t wrestled almost any of the top talent outside of DC and Peyton Hall. Was impressed with Monday taking care of business up at 165 for the first time at Midlands

Reactions: CyGold and crablegs
Jun 1, 2018
It is possible that it was instigated by Ayala family. Still coaches should of controlled it.

Reminds me of when coaches were accused of taking side with Gilman & Dennis leading up to Olympics
Ramos vs Dennis. Gilman left there due to Spencer being the end all in the coaches eyes. Much ado about nothing in this instance imo. Drake's mom should have simply stayed calm and not posted garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: fitzgev and buf87