General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Seems like it makes sense to have a thread designated to wrestling Twitter and news outside of our Cyclones. Plenty of stuff always going on.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Sort of ISU-related, but have to give props to Austin Gomez knocking off Yanni. Given Spencer Lee's unknown health, I figured Yanni was probably as unbeatable as anyone out there (now I'd probably give that crown to Aaron Brooks).

Talk about someone who's had just a crap-ton of adversity thrown at him, but keeps getting back up off the mat! Austin Gomez is the man.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I'd like to see an ISU - UNI - Iowa triangular. All three teams in one place, same day, with a Varsity match on the main mat and a few other mats running for backups and younger guys to get matches.

On that note, are dual meets this year featuring the pigtail/bonus matches we saw last year? I live out of state and haven't been able to watch or follow as closely as normal but I liked that wrestlers had those opportunities.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I wonder if there's some bad blood between TnT and Schwab? Otherwise, I can't imagine why they would not have dualed for many years.
Those two dickheads think they are too good to wrestle UNI. They refuse to. Schwab literally schedules evens like midlands, that dual thing down south (forget the name) just to try and meet up with them. It’s beyond ******* dumb but also not surprising at all.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd like to see an ISU - UNI - Iowa triangular. All three teams in one place, same day, with a Varsity match on the main mat and a few other mats running for backups and younger guys to get matches.

On that note, are dual meets this year featuring the pigtail/bonus matches we saw last year? I live out of state and haven't been able to watch or follow as closely as normal but I liked that wrestlers had those opportunities.
This would be pretty bad ass but there’s zero chance Iowa agrees to it.

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames

I believe the extra dual matches for the backups were only held in the 2020-2021 season as we were still working through the reduced pandemic schedule. If I recall there were no Open tourneys that year where the backups get matches.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Sort of ISU-related, but have to give props to Austin Gomez knocking off Yanni. Given Spencer Lee's unknown health, I figured Yanni was probably as unbeatable as anyone out there (now I'd probably give that crown to Aaron Brooks).

Talk about someone who's had just a crap-ton of adversity thrown at him, but keeps getting back up off the mat! Austin Gomez is the man.
Agree. I want to dislike Gomez, but I just can’t. The dude is tough as nails, a must watch exciting wrestler, and handles his business very professionally. I’m a huge fan.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree. I want to dislike Gomez, but I just can’t. The dude is tough as nails, a must watch exciting wrestler, and handles his business very professionally. I’m a huge fan.
Buf or tiger could correct me but everything I heard was that he was a team first guy and great in the room. He knows very well he can be polarizing and relishes it.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Buf or tiger could correct me but everything I heard was that he was a team first guy and great in the room. He knows very well he can be polarizing and relishes it.
I don’t doubt that for a second. The dude breathes wrestling.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don’t think there are any hard feelings with Gomez. I think if it wasn’t for all the concussions at Iowa State, he would still be here. Pretty sure that Iowa State couldn’t let him compete anymore with his documented concussion history at Iowa State

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

I feel like Starocci is also close to his own division at 174. If Lewis can’t solve him no one will.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
  • Agree
Reactions: CyCity

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Cliff Keen invitation is this weekend in Vegas. Miss when Iowa State wrestled in that tourney. Might be the best non-NCAA or conference tournament now

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cliff Keen invitation is this weekend in Vegas. Miss when Iowa State wrestled in that tourney. Might be the best non-NCAA or conference tournament now
Who of quality goes to the Scuffle anymore?