MLB: General 2018 Major League Baseball Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought Verlander was past his prime and declining a few years ago. Since he went to Houston late last year he's been the best pitcher in MLB on the best team in MLB. :eek:

How is anyone going to match these Houston guys in post season playoffs going against that starting staff. Opponents can just hope they get tired by years seasons end.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Thought Verlander was past his prime and declining a few years ago. Since he went to Houston late last year he's been the best pitcher in MLB on the best team in MLB. :eek:

How is anyone going to match these Houston guys in post season playoffs going against that starting staff. Opponents can just hope they get tired by years seasons end.

They are a juggernaut, and I see them taking the title again this year. I think Boston, and New York can put up a good fight, but in a 7 game series, with that starting rotation, it don't see them losing.

Side note: Sucks that the loser of the AL East will have to play a one game wild-card to get in when having something close to 100 wins.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
They are a juggernaut, and I see them taking the title again this year. I think Boston, and New York can put up a good fight, but in a 7 game series, with that starting rotation, it don't see them losing.

Side note: Sucks that the loser of the AL East will have to play a one game wild-card to get in when having something close to 100 wins.

Kinda like in 2015 when the Pirates and Cubs played each other in the Wildcard game with 98 and 97 wins respectively. Next closest team to them was the Royals at 95

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Kinda like in 2015 when the Pirates and Cubs played each other in the Wildcard game with 98 and 97 wins respectively. Next closest team to them was the Royals at 95

Exactly. I don't know what you do to change that, but it sucked for the Pirates that year to miss out. I want the best teams in the playoffs, not some division winner that has 87 wins, like this years NL West potentially.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Exactly. I don't know what you do to change that, but it sucked for the Pirates that year to miss out. I want the best teams in the playoffs, not some division winner that has 87 wins, like this years NL West potentially.

85 might win the AL Central. :eek: Throw in the disparity of the unbalanced schedules and the teams in the stronger divisions play a much tougher schedule also. If the season ended today the team with the 2nd best record in MLB would be a wildcard playing in a playin game. o_O

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Would have posted this last night but the site was down, so....

Gleyber Torres!

Also gotta give him credit for doing his on field interview in English last night. A lot of the guys speak more English than people think but prefer to interview with an interpreter which I totally understand. So, giving the young guy props for going it alone.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I didn't catch today's game, but great win in Chicago. I think we will learn a lot about how serious Atlanta is in the next 2-3 weeks. Cubs, Marlins, @Phillies, @Red Sox, Mets, gNats to finish out the month. A lot can happen between now and the end of September but if they are still sitting on top of the east come June 1, people are going to have to take them seriously. They've owned the east so far.

With that said, as bad as I'd like to see them in the playoffs again, I hope they don't do anything stupid and trade prospects for a rental this year. I'd like to see them get some bullpen help and then just see how far the young talent can take them this year and set themselves up for 2019, 20, 21 and beyond.

It feels good to be an Atlanta fan again. It's been too long. They're fun to watch. Aggressive on the bases. They hit. They're pitching has been good (not the bullpen, though they've started to get it together). MLB has been put on notice! The Barves are no more. The Braves are back!
Update:
Atlanta took 3 of 4 from Washington to finish out a tough stretch of the schedule and hold on to 1st place. I think they are for real. Hopefully Acuña comes back at 100%.... that was scary.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Update:
Atlanta took 3 of 4 from Washington to finish out a tough stretch of the schedule and hold on to 1st place. I think they are for real. Hopefully Acuña comes back at 100%.... that was scary.
And then we get crushed by the Padres. Makes sense.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
How many times do I have to say don't pitch to Goldschmidt. 2 Hr's last night, 2 Hr's again today.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Bullpen has been garbage this season. Shaw continues to struggle. 6 runs in 2/3 of an inning tonight.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Spent over a 100 million on this bullpen and it's sucking ****. Especially Bryan Shaw - I just he left his talents in Cleveland.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron