The Jimbo Fisher thread

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that Urban makes $6.4 per. But he only has 3 years left. I wonder why Gene is putting this out there now??? Negotiating leverage for an extension is why.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ADs have zero leverage. There are enough schools positioned to spend big money on coaches that the few guys who know they are worth it have all the power in that negotiation. I mean, if Gene won't give Urban $8M, LSU or Oregon or somebody else would.

The bigger problem is the fact that the value of these handful of guys at those handful of schools really have brought up the cost for hiring mediocre and unproven coaches at the power 5 level.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I can't think of too many professions when a person makex 5 to 10 times the amount of their boss.

The whole thing has gotten out of hand and I still think at some point the well is going to dry up and schools that have over extended will have to figure some things out.

However, I can't really get too angry. I buy season tickets to watch college football.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Ridiculous*
Maybe he's casting a spell:

tumblr_njjl1u90Pn1sg49umo2_500.gif

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I think that Urban makes $6.4 per. But he only has 3 years left. I wonder why Gene is putting this out there now??? Negotiating leverage for an extension is why.
Gene's no dummy. He was damn good AD here. There's a purpose for his comments...

• Agree
Reactions: StClone and Frak

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Gene's no dummy. He was damn good AD here. There's a purpose for his comments...

While I agree, he wasn't exactly great on the budget side. Left BVDV a nice deficit that ended up killing baseball.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
While I agree, he wasn't exactly great on the budget side. Left BVDV a nice deficit that ended up killing baseball.

At some point you have to decide if baseball is more important than the football improvements we have made since then.

I love baseball, but a baseball program at ISU is just a luxury, not a necessity.

Add on the Title IX responsibilities and having to have womens scholarships for every mens scholarship, and the cost of baseball increases. Not to mention facilities upkeep and upgrades to compete with the rest of the Big12 in baseball, most of which is in warmer climates.