Gary Barta everybody

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why are visiting bands marching through the crowd/tailgate scene after the game anyway. Doesn’t seem wise.

Hopefully this changes in the future. Seems to me the visiting band should await for most of the stadium to clear out, then unceremoniously board buses immediately outside one of the gates. Then be taken to a suitable nearby location where they can change clothing, use the restroom etc. before heading back to Ames or Iowa City.

They didn't that is why this doesn't add up. They march out of the stadium, to their busses on the north side of JTS. There are thousands of people around at that point and only a few if any would have beer in there hands. Most just want to get out of there. I would imagine they go out the NE gate after the crowd has died down a little. Walk past the Jake, the Iowa Semi, Iowa team buses, to the band bus. At no point do they come in contact with many people with beer at that point of the day. There is also police and security and cameras. Plus the Iowa band director never said anything about it to ISU's band director after the game.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Plenty of Iowa State fans (both former marching band members and regular fans) have claimed that they have been pelted with beer cans, spat on, had urine dumped on them, etc. The universal consensus amongst Iowa State fans is belief or acceptance that these events occurred. I am simply questioning why the recounting of these events is presumed to be true, yet when Iowa State fans are the ones allegedly engaging in those activities, it is presumed to be false or exaggerated because no video evidence has been released to the public, and no police report immediately filed.

The difference why the ISU band was more accepted (other than probably some bias here) is that the ISU accusations seem plausible. The Iowa allegations of broken ribs, broken bus windows, and being cornered and sexual assaulted are very serious accusations, occurring in a very crowded area, with no evidence (yet), no reporting to police/security (yet), no specifics (yet), and only vague social media chatter. One of the accusations involving broken ribs already has a conflicting account the band member tripped. I hope there is an investigation into this to validate these serious claims and either clear them or find the POS who did it.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The difference why the ISU band was more accepted (other than probably some bias here) is that the ISU accusations seem plausible. The Iowa allegations of broken ribs, broken bus windows, and being cornered and sexual assaulted are very serious accusations, occurring in a very crowded area, with no evidence (yet), no reporting to police/security (yet), no specifics (yet), and only vague social media chatter. One of the accusations involving broken ribs already has a conflicting account the band member tripped. I hope there is an investigation into this to validate these serious claims and either clear them or find the POS who did it.

There are police everywhere around the buses north of JTS. There would be no way a bus window could be broken and the police not know about it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Also we were all pretty beat down after 8 hours in Jack Trice. I didn't see any overly angry people after the game, I saw tired people. I doubt that a ******* riot could break out without someone other than the band noticing.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Barta can sweep it under the rug. The police cannot

If this happened then we need to get to the bottom of it ASAP. The people who did it need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

But Barta has lots of practice at handling sexual assaults internally, and having them disappear.

But logic would dictate that there is no win in that for Barta. Remember how long he kept up the locker room thing, until the perpetrator was proven to be a former u of i student

• Useful
Reactions: criticalobserver

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The Sunday after the game, before this all blew up, there were posters on Iowa message boards who claimed that the U of I received numerous (as in way more than 2) phone calls from the parents of UIMB members complaining about the situation. Seems rather unlikely that this is all made up.

It’s really too bad you didn’t have this same sense of urgency when Abe and cedrick raped that girl.

• Useful

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't think these kids are stupid, I think that they feel like they are not being helped by their administration.. which they are not. The Iowa State administration already said they would help out in any means necessary, and the Iowa administration wants to let this thing go.. So why do they want to do that? Did these kid's stories not lineup? Was it not as big as a deal as they're actually making it? Who knows! All of this stuff would be immensely easier if Iowa's administration (Gary Barta) wouldn't have dropped the ball.

Unfortunately the logic on this doesn’t add up still. Everyone has their cell phones and there should be videos everywhere

• Useful

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
A lot of people who are sexually assaulted don’t report the incidents, many times because they are embarrassed, they don’t want the attention that comes along with filing charges, etc. I think everyone can agree that this has been handled poorly by Barta every step of the way.

And when they do the u of I ad throws them under the bus.

• Useful

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This is factually inaccurate. One is a R, the other is a D. The one that is a R is closer to a D than a R.

This said, alleged sexual assault has nothing to do with either Iowa, Iowa State, and the vast majority of their fans, two fairly incompetent athletic directors, or two football teams and two bands full of college students.

Using this as a gotcha towards the other team, or other athletic director, notwithstanding their incompetence, or your dislike of them is ignorant.

Allegations need to be investigated by law enforcement. If ISU fans are involved, any Iowa fan who uses this as a gotcha is low class scum, and if the shoe is/was on the other foot, likewise.

The fact that you think pollard is incompetent truly drives home what a dumbass you are

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Again, you have no idea what steps have been taken thus far. You have no idea if those individuals have already contacted police. You have no idea if the band members were told not to report anything to the police and to let the University handle the situation. You know nothing, just like the rest of us.

Doesn't seem to keep you from making plenty of uninformed comments though. Your a persistent little troll.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Where were their buses parked? Were they right outside the stadium?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Me thinks there's gonna be some joker that retaliates against the ISU band next year and that shuts the whole visiting band thing down.

Wouldnt surprise me either.

Or it'll just create a heightened sensitivity to the **** that the ISU band has always had to put up with in the past. Issues that were treated within the band as 'this is just part of going to iowa city' will be documented and reported.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I mean how is it even possible to throw a glass beer bottle and sexually assault someone with four officers present and not face immediate consequences?

• Funny

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I mean how is it even possible to throw a glass beer bottle and sexually assault someone with four officers present and not face immediate consequences?

You didn’t see the riot break out?

cloneiniowacity

Jul 13, 2014
Just for ***** and giggles I reached out to a friend on the ISU PD and asked what was up. Reply was, "we reached out to the them and told them if anyone felt they had been a victim to please come forward and so far nobody has contacted us."

There's literally nothing our PD can do if they won't come forward.