Garmin type mapping device

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What is everyone's favorite mapping device? I'm looking for one where I can input multiple locations and then have it route it out for me. Is there a smart phone app that people like? I would like this to be able to store these locations so I don't have to reenter every time. TIA for your opinions.

I don't currently have a smart phone so either way (a dedicated device, or switching to a smart phone) could be an option.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Google Maps in a pinch and to plan things out. In the car I use a Garmin like this one for live navigation to avoid using up data.

Amazon product

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Try it out online

Go to maps.google.com
Sign in
Search for one of the places you want to go
Select that location on the map
Hit the star/save
Do the same for other places you want as favorites

Go to maps.google.com
Make sure you're still logged in
Hit the directions button
Put in as many destinations as you want

Maps are more up to date, takes into account traffic, etc. You can download maps for offline use if you're worried about data. Keep in mind that maps use very little data. I use it all the time and it's usually less than 150mb per month.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I like Garmin for stand alone devices too, but they're becoming quite antiquated. The great thing about Google maps (Waze is a good app too) is that it's free, stays updated and accounts for traffic. Those things either cost money (upgrade for new roads, etc & subscription fees for traffic information) or you'll have to do without and then the solution is much less effective compared to free google maps on a smart phone.

Plus on google maps you can just speak to it and it will search for you (ex: "navigate to Starbucks") so you don't have to manually enter anything while driving.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I have an old Garmin that works well and doesn't eat data, but got to agree Google maps is quicker and really has more free features.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Our Garmen was awesome 7-8 years ago but it's nothing now compared to my smartphone.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I will get **** for this, but I use Apple Maps pretty much exclusively. But google works just as well I am sure. Also note that I have used my phone on European trips in 2015 and 2017 exclusively and had no trouble navigating. So the phone is the way to go, or even a tablet of some kind.

Do use Waze when I know traffic is going to be heavy, it is much better at routing you than Apple or google.

• Funny
Reactions: dcorbatt

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
My son gave me a TomTom for Christmas several years ago. It took me a while to get used to it but I find it very useful now. First thing I had to do was to banish the female voice for directions. I felt like she was constantly nagging me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron