Garage Flys

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Getting killed by flies in my garage today. Anyone have any gadgets / sprays / suggestions on how to keep them away?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Fire is the obvious choice here, but with all the burn bans around probably not a good idea. We have one of those tennis racket type fly zappers. They work great!

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I put up a screen on the front and back doors so I get airflow. It does a good job of keeping the bees, flies, and wasps out. If it's breezy the bottom will blow out but the magnets do a pretty good job of keeping the entry together.

Garage Door screen

Edit: The one I linked isn't the one I own - but there are a ton out there and on sale for Prime Day

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I put up a screen on the front and back doors so I get airflow. It does a good job of keeping the bees, flies, and wasps out. If it's breezy the bottom will blow out but the magnets do a pretty good job of keeping the entry together.

Garage Door screen

Edit: The one I linked isn't the one I own - but there are a ton out there and on sale for Prime Day

that would be a good option, but I have 8' doors. looking to see if there is a bigger option.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Garage Door screen

Always wondered if these were worth a ****. I have a 3 car tandem and it’s great for airflow, but I do have a ton of flies in my neck of the woods.

Might have to give these a go.

EDIT: We’ll…looks like I’m SOL. My garage door openings are 9x8 (architectural design element at the top that serves no useful purpose). I don’t see that size…

Last edited:

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

This is available at Hy-Vee if you live in Iowa

Reactions: 3GenClone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Always wondered if these were worth a ****. I have a 3 car tandem and it’s great for airflow, but I do have a ton of flies in my neck of the woods.

Might have to give these a go.

I'll add that I have a pest management company treat around our house every quarter, so we already see a lower number of bugs around our garage anyways.

I like the ones we got. I can watch MNF on the TV in my garage with these up and just watch the bugs congregate outside.

The downside is my kids like to ride their bikes right into the net and it's starting to tear at the top. I have more problems with the 4' one blowing open than the 20' on the front of the garage.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Get a gallon ziploc bag of water, put a penny in it, and suspend from middle of ceiling on a string.

God as my witness this works. I don't know how or why but it does.

Was involved with a charity can drive. Woman let people bring cans to her 2 car garage and just dump them. Bags and bags of cans, many gross and wet. She sorted them in a kiddie pool. which got filled with beer and pop spillage. No flies anywhere. She pointed to the bag o' water with a penny. She said something about it they don't like, the reflection of hte penny in the water or something.

Cheap and easy enough to try anyway. Good luck!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I got one as a white elephant gift a few years ago. It's white trash fantastic.
Not even white trash fantastic. It's just fantastic.

Also if you get one buy direct from them no reason to give Amazon a cut of the profits.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
  • Haha
Reactions: khardbored

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Get a Q-Mist dispenser at Bomgaars or Fleet Farm. It sprays one shot every 10 minutes or so.