Alert: GAMING & GROUPS THREAD - Will have to opt-in starting Monday

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Do what you want CW, its your site.
This is incorrect. It is all or your site. Without all of you guys, I'm not here. That's why it is hard to pull the trigger on something like this, minor as it may be.

Ok, I'm just saying I don't mind. Mainly because this is a free site and I appreciate the content no matter how its displayed.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
+1 for the opt in for betting boards. the argument that it turns into a game thread is a cop out to the real reason of wanting to display the feature. they very very rarely turn into game threads. if it was opt im and the game was interesting enough to discuss a normal thread would be created.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
saw the main page was all Mafia stuff

hyperbole_m.jpg

Here's the "Mafia filled" main forum. Look at all those starred Mafia threads....oh wait:

350w13c.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
+1 for the opt in for betting boards. the argument that it turns into a game thread is a cop out to the real reason of wanting to display the feature. they very very rarely turn into game threads. if it was opt im and the game was interesting enough to discuss a normal thread would be created.

Not during this time of year but it happens in football and basketball all of the time.

Cop out? Come on man.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The thing I don't understand is why this is a problem during the offseason. During football and basketball season I can see how it would bother people, but right now there aren't that many things concerning Iowa State on the main page as it is. Making the gaming forum opt-in doesn't help that much.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Its three clicks max people. If you found the time to get on here, you have the time to opt-in. If you want it on the main page, get the app.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
1 for the opt in for betting boards. the

argument that it turns into a game thread is a cop out to the real reason of wanting to display the feature. they very very rarely turn into game threads. if it was opt im and the game was interesting enough to discuss a normal thread would be created.
Not during this time of year but it happens in football and basketball all of the time. Cop out? Come on man.

im just saying its odd to get rid of a forum with heavy traffic because a few people want to get rid of one thread, which brings a ton of traffic to the site, and makes people come back multiple times a day where they end up spending time on other threads. why not get rid of OT also? I guess I just don't understand why solution or upgrades aren't looked at where you can opt out instead of opt in, or using a VB feature like MyForum where the user can customize what boards show up on there main page. just seems like an odd change before the site redesign in a few weeks.

don't get me wrong I understand the requests. when I first started visiting the site I was annoyed by what I thought where these nerdy mafia game threads. I also hardly ever visited or posted. since playing I've become much more active which helps the board. I think you'd find truth in that for games like mafia and haxball. seems sad a new user will never find the threads.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Its three clicks max people. If you found the time to get on here, you have the time to opt-in. If you want it on the main page, get the app.

It's also zero clicks to skip past the thread on the main forum but some how that's too hard and necessitates a opt-in/out feature for those that find it too difficult.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Well it takes one click to go to the forum you want, and it takes 0 clicks to not enter threads that don't interest you.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't care either way, but working with how other successful forums have been ran it just seems odd. sorry if im coming over as overly defensive, the whole can't tell context online. I wont lose sleep either way, just trying to help the site out like my other suggestions in the feedback forum (livetopic for gameday threads instead of chat, etc)

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
why can't it be 3 clicks to opt out so newer users can see it?

Every day there are many people roaming around on Cyclone Fanatic who can't decide whether or not they want to actually get an account or not. If they see Mafia games being played, they are not going to want to join immediately. Why? Because odds are they found the site because they googled "Iowa State forum" not "gaming."

Again, don't get me wrong, I love watching the Mafia games. But these games aren't going to increase the Cyclone Fanatic community. If a random person comes on here and see's that it is all Iowa State talk and the occasional "Ukranian Bride" thread, they will join. But if they see three Mafia threads, they will have no clue what is going on and, chances are, will not join.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
one more then ill leave it alone. I say betting boards should be opt in as most users don't bother to check anything but the main page, hardly ever going to the 2nd page or into individual forums. look at the front page now. any interesting thread that could gain interested has just died off to most of the board. it would be cool if they would show up after its bumped by an actual post and not creation of the bet.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
But if they see three Mafia threads, they will have no clue what is going on and, chances are, will not join.

It's 1 thread dude (at some times 2). It will in no way affect people deciding to join the site.

13 betting threads right now might but those fall off the main board quickly (why I don't mind them either).

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
one more then ill leave it alone. I say betting boards should be opt in as most users don't bother to check anything but the main page, hardly ever going to the 2nd page or into individual forums. look at the front page now. any interesting thread that could gain interested has just died off to most of the board. it would be cool if they would show up after its bumped by an actual post and not creation of the bet.

I agree with this, 100%

But who knows if vBulletin would be able to do this. It would be nice if you didn't have to opt-in, but the betting forum was just posted right at the top of the forum menu for everyone to see.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
I agree with this change, and I'd also agree with keeping the betting forum posts off the front page. Granted, many are betting forum, and it is the offseason, but right now I don't see a single thread about ISU athletics on the main forum page - which the vast majority of people are going to use - or on New Posts.

Before I didn't really care. I know people can skip over them yadda yadda yadda. But if you thought of it like a newspaper, that is prime real estate, at the top of the Forum page, or on the Forum page at all.

Not everyone visits ths site a lot. Perfectly good threads get pushed off on to the sub forums that people might be interested in but never see because they don't go visit each forum.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I've decided to delay this decision to allow me to do some more research on how to do some of the things that many of you have requested. I've got a VBulletin book in the mail to me right now that I plan on reading over my vacation, which I leave for on the 14th. Hopefully then I can get it all squared away. The gaming board is safe on the front page for a few more weeks.

K

KFitzy87

I've decided to delay this decision to allow me to do some more research on how to do some of the things that many of you have requested. I've got a VBulletin book in the mail to me right now that I plan on reading over my vacation, which I leave for on the 14th. Hopefully then I can get it all squared away. The gaming board is safe on the front page for a few more weeks.

Good. The more work we make you do for us on your personal time the better.

CF =

tumblr_m6rflaoLDC1r74ueho1_1280.jpg