Gamewatch - CR / Marion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Any gamewatches tonight in the Cedar Rapids / Marion area?

I think Lowie's in Marion is suppose to have all the games on. That is where I went for the Akron game. I am just staying home and having a couple friends over for this one, since I actually have the channel the game is on for a change.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think Lowie's in Marion is suppose to have all the games on. That is where I went for the Akron game. I am just staying home and having a couple friends over for this one, since I actually have the channel the game is on for a change.
Louie's is owned by a TOTAL PRICK former Hawkeye.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Louie's is owned by a TOTAL PRICK former Hawkeye.

I don't think there is a bar in CR that isn't owed by a total prick Hawk or Hawk fan. Comes with the territory. The ISU Alumni Assoc. has a game watch agreement with them. Thanks for the information, might change where I watch the next game

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I don't think there is a bar in CR that isn't owed by a total prick Hawk or Hawk fan. Comes with the territory. The ISU Alumni Assoc. has a game watch agreement with them. Thanks for the information, might change where I watch the next game
Mostly true. But this one in particular will not ever get a nickel from me.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Not that I am aware of. It seems a CR game watch at a non-Hawk place has high interest on this board for most games. Hopefully our prayers will be answered someday.

Didn't the alumni association used to have game watches? I haven't heard anything from them in years.

Otherwise we'll have to hope one of us opens up a Cyclone bar here.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
****'s Tap and Shake room might have it on. I know they always had it on when it was Mahoney's.

EDIT: The censored word is a shortened name for Richard.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Part of having consistent game watches is dedicated area Alumni Leadership. It seems like our leadership only picks a few basketball games a year to have advertised game watches. I don't want to bag on them as I don't know them personally, but I feel there could be improvements if there was more commitment. Perhaps they have their own justification. In my opinion, there should be a formal gamewatch for every football game and some amount of effort for a majority of basketball games. While Cedar Rapids is only 45 minutes from Iowa City, it still has the second largest Iowa State alumni base in the state. If one could show that they could fill a bar consistently, I think they would accept having regular gamewatches.

OR one of us opens up a dedicated Cyclone bar in Cedar Rapids once and for all.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Part of having consistent game watches is dedicated area Alumni Leadership. It seems like our leadership only picks a few basketball games a year to have advertised game watches. I don't want to bag on them as I don't know them personally, but I feel there could be improvements if there was more commitment. Perhaps they have their own justification. In my opinion, there should be a formal gamewatch for every football game and some amount of effort for a majority of basketball games. While Cedar Rapids is only 45 minutes from Iowa City, it still has the second largest Iowa State alumni base in the state. If one could show that they could fill a bar consistently, I think they would accept having regular gamewatches.

I am no longer on the ISU Alumni board, but I was the president at one point in time many years ago, when they still allowed local Cyclone clubs. We did a few game watch events with them, but it was always hard to find a Clone friendly bar, and if we did it usually closed in 6 months. Not sure why Louie's in Marion is the designated spot, but I can tell you that a handful of us were there for the Akron game. Hawk fans came rolling in at the end of the game, but that is to be expected. I just like to watch the games with a crowd. I know last year we were in the Chrome Horse, which I am sure is a Hawk bar too.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
****'s Tap and Shake room might have it on. I know they always had it on when it was Mahoney's.

EDIT: The censored word is a shortened name for Richard.
I didnt know that place ever opened. seemed like teh remodel took 2 years.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seems like a lost cause, so rather than start a new thread, I'll just ask here: any where to watch iowa state games in Dubuque? Mostly badger/hok territory over here...

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Not sure if you guys have asked Brick Alley yet. They have a back room with a projector that is pretty nice. No food, but you can order from places like zoey's etc and bring in.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Seems like a lost cause, so rather than start a new thread, I'll just ask here: any where to watch iowa state games in Dubuque? Mostly badger/hok territory over here...

I've watched games at the BWW in Dubuque. Although, I've also gotten flipped off by people in Iowa shirts there when cheering for ISU.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Not sure if you guys have asked Brick Alley yet. They have a back room with a projector that is pretty nice. No food, but you can order from places like zoey's etc and bring in.

Interesting - I think that has potential. That's probably what we need is a party room of cyclone fans and booze in CR.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Interesting - I think that has potential. That's probably what we need is a party room of cyclone fans and booze in CR.

Stadium seating, tables. IMO would be much better than Louie's, except for the food part.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'm sure the two guys that seem to do all the work for the local Alumni Association would welcome the help. I was on the Cedar Valley / Linn County Cyclone Club boards for years and it's a thankless task. I was kind of relieved when it was shut down, because as treasurer for many years, it was a job that's not easy to walk away from.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I'm sure the two guys that seem to do all the work for the local Alumni Association would welcome the help. I was on the Cedar Valley / Linn County Cyclone Club boards for years and it's a thankless task. I was kind of relieved when it was shut down, because as treasurer for many years, it was a job that's not easy to walk away from.

I appreciate your work with the club and the other two guys that are manning it now. They both took the time to answer me when I asked if the Akron game was going to be on at Louie's. (sometimes those odd channels are not on bars' packages) I agree, it is pretty much a thankless job. I have a little more time on my hands the last couple years, so I should contact them and offer to help.

I have no idea where the Brick Alley is, but that does sound interesting.