Games of Thrones Book Thread (With Spoilers)

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Yes. And he will either live out his life there.... or be the church's champion in the trial by combact vs. Cersei... and face his brother (Well, sort of).

Woah, I never thought of this. That would be crazy.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Dany had a vision of King's Landing ruined in Winter. Is there going to be a kingdom to take after winter and the wights hit? As slow as the novels are moving and the length of winters are we going to get through a winter in two books? It seems like we are all preoccupied with the political angles of the story but is that what it is really about? Or is it about a struggle between Fire and Ice, Good and Evil, or Life and Death?

Just some things I wonder about.

Agree. It will be interesting to see where Book 6 heads. But most people that watch the show think it is about the Iron Throne, and I suspect it will still end up being more about Fire and Ice, with Dany and her dragons "saving" Westeros from the Others.

That will be interesting to see how GOT handles the story lines going forward. Dany is the breakout star of the show with Tyrion, but her storyline is not as fans would expect, that she has her army and will move on the throne soon.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Agree. It will be interesting to see where Book 6 heads. But most people that watch the show think it is about the Iron Throne, and I suspect it will still end up being more about Fire and Ice, with Dany and her dragons "saving" Westeros from the Others.

That will be interesting to see how GOT handles the story lines going forward. Dany is the breakout star of the show with Tyrion, but her storyline is not as fans would expect, that she has her army and will move on the throne soon.

I will be disappointed if Martin changes his story based on the TV show.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yes. And he will either live out his life there.... or be the church's champion in the trial by combact vs. Cersei... and face his brother (Well, sort of).

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Robert Strong storyline at the moment. It just feels a little too derivative and Frankenstein's Monster to me.

If it does get to a trial by combat point in the books, than I do hope it's Sandor to face his undead brother (if that's how it turns out), otherwise I think anyone else in his place would lose a lot of dramatic effect.

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
Has anyone heard anything about Coldhands being in the tv show, really wanted to see him in the season 3 final

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I will be disappointed if Martin changes his story based on the TV show.

idk, the show has already been changed from the books in subtle ways (and presumably with his blessing). As an artist, I would have no issue if he modifies his thoughts on how the characters will develop based on how he is seeing the TV audience react to the stories. I am sure he has the outline of the remaining books in his head, but there is more than one way to skin a rabbit, just ask Meera and Osha.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Has anyone heard anything about Coldhands being in the tv show, really wanted to see him in the season 3 final

Sam did not run into him yet, and I have seen no reference to him in early casting rumors for Season 4, but who knows.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Sam did not run into him yet, and I have seen no reference to him in early casting rumors for Season 4, but who knows.

I'm betting there is no coldhands in the series at all.. my guess is this means he is NOT Benjen Stark as GRRM probably let D&D know he was not a major character and could be cut from the series.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm betting there is no coldhands in the series at all.. my guess is this means he is NOT Benjen Stark as GRRM probably let D&D know he was not a major character and could be cut from the series.

See, now I don't think it necessarily precludes Benjen, I just think they could leave that storyline open. They've done that with other stuff both in the books and in the show (like are we ever going to hear from any of Robert's kids ever again?).

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I thought the scene in the show with Sam sending Bran and friends on their way through the Wall was a disappointment. No Coldhands, no black gate, and instead there just seems to be a general tunnel/passage through the Wall that only Sam knows about that has been unguarded since the Night Fort was abandoned. Seems the Night's Watch has a pretty big liability on their hands there!

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
I mean obviously they can make the show without him, but he was a pretty cool part of them getting there. I mean i guess they could have Jojen have dreams, but I thought his dreams were more symbolism. Then it seems like a further journey with out the elk (also a main food source, without other animals there) for how weak Jojen is before they get to the cave. Then when they get to the cave Jojen and Bran dont fight, it seems even less possible they could get everyone safely inside with really only Meera and Summer fighting the wights.

A lot of rambling there but they were the first things I thought about if Coldhands wasnt involved. Maybe they dont want another character in the tv series that you dont see there face and has no history, and they could get by without him with a couple lines of dialogue, and changing the time or distance they have to travel.

Side note - Really wish that Strong Belwas was in the show

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I bet they will run into Coldhands next year... in a scene where they use those Obsidian daggers Sam gave them. Why? Because Bran's storyline is already half a book ahead of all the other storylines, especially at the wall. So they will need to fill out his journey a little bit. I bet they get attacked, kill a couple Others, Coldhands saves them and tells them he was sent by the 3-eyed Crow to bring them to him.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
See, now I don't think it necessarily precludes Benjen, I just think they could leave that storyline open. They've done that with other stuff both in the books and in the show (like are we ever going to hear from any of Robert's kids ever again?).

I can't imagine that Benjen will not pop up again, but who knows if he is Coldhands or will be a particularly bad *** Wight. But I just can't see his storyline just being dropped with no follow up, particularly that Eddard, Robb, Catelyn, etc have all been killed.

My guess would have been that he is Coldhands also.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
As a show watcher only (not a book reader) is it bad that I love to read the book-spoiler thread and the various wiki's online to figure out what happens ahead of time? Too impatient to wait.

Reactions: ISUME

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
As a show watcher only (not a book reader) is it bad that I love to read the book-spoiler thread and the various wiki's online to figure out what happens ahead of time? Too impatient to wait.

That makes me smile. I have been known to peek at one of the last pages of a book and read a couple of sentences, so I can't say anything.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com

I may be the exact opposite of you. I read A Storm of Swords 12 years ago, so I knew what was going to happen this season. I generally watched the show on Monday nights so the internet was a full 24 hours ahead of me. But I would avoid checking out the GoT threads on CF and reading the Entertainment Weekly recap (which is highly entertaining) until after I'd viewed the episode.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Once TWOW is out, I'll probably last about 100 pages before I want to jump to the back. I will probably struggle through a few more chapters then, before I have to moment of weakness.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I am re-reading Feast for Crows, and it is better than I remember it. Cersei is so tiresome though.

I had forgotten that Sam had run into Arya in Braavos when she is selling clams. I also had forgotten much of the Dorn tangent.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Once TWOW is out, I'll probably last about 100 pages before I want to jump to the back. I will probably struggle through a few more chapters then, before I have to moment of weakness.

I do everything possible to avoid reading ahead on Martin's books. So many things I don't want to spoil. When I first read ADWD, I'd even cover the last couple paragraphs at the end of the chapters with my hand so I didn't accidentally peak ahead.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I am re-reading Feast for Crows, and it is better than I remember it. Cersei is so tiresome though.

I had forgotten that Sam had run into Arya in Braavos when she is selling clams. I also had forgotten much of the Dorn tangent.

AFFC is a lot better when you aren't expecting major plot progression going in or expecting to see all the characters. The writing for the most part is great.