Game worn I State helmets

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Yes my helmet is up on my fireplace mantle between my 2 framed Bowl game jerseys

I think a lot of us have some memorabalia we've picked up in various places and it looks good on the wall and shelf but when you've actually earned it and it is yours that is the ultimate!! I'm glad you got to keep your helmet, too.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
A few years ago I built a home office in my basement and wanted a helmet to put in there. I wanted to just buy one from the athletic department and even talked to Jamie Pollard and he said they couldn't sell them because of liability issues. But he even referred me to one of the university lawyers in Beardshear and she told me the same thing. And I even seem to remember hearing they even cut them in half when they were done being useful.
Curt, did you get to keep your helmet after your senior season because way back when I don't think the players even got to keep their own.

Maybe this policy changed since then, but they must've changed it a while back.

I know for a fact they had game-worn old-style helmets for sale at the VEISHEA Athletics Rummage sale the year all the uniforms were switched over.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Yes they would come through the locker room every Thursday night before the game shine the helmet and redecal it.

I know this because every Thursday I would take the stickers off my helmet so I would get new ones.

Also, to the poster who said these are probably practice helmets.. ISU uses the same helmet for both games and practice.

apparently not,
VIDEO: Equipment Room Feature - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

That poster was me.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yes they would come through the locker room every Thursday night before the game shine the helmet and redecal it.

I know this because every Thursday I would take the stickers off my helmet so I would get new ones.

Also, to the poster who said these are probably practice helmets.. ISU uses the same helmet for both games and practice.

According to a friend who is a manager only the players who hardly ever if ever play have one helmet. Everyone else has a game and a practice helmet. The helmets are gone over to fix any scratches and missing paint every week as well as to fix any decals that need to be fixed. At this time they also shine the helmets.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
According to a friend who is a manager only the players who hardly ever if ever play have one helmet. Everyone else has a game and a practice helmet. The helmets are gone over to fix any scratches and missing paint every week as well as to fix any decals that need to be fixed. At this time they also shine the helmets.

Yes, I know I've seen plain red helmets in practice videos. I know, they could just put decals on them for games, but pretty sure it's different helmets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron