Game of Thrones Season 8

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So we're going to ensure the Lannister army has surrendered by torching the civilians nowhere near the Lannister army. Brilliant plan by a sane leader.

If there was 1 brilliant plan in the 8 seasons we never go 8 seasons.

What was the option - just lay siege and wait for all the people inside to die miserable starvation and disease deaths and THEN have Cersei torch the entire city with dragon fire?

In the end, Cersei is Dany and Dany is Cersei. Both want power and try to secure and keep it with reckless abandon.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Agree about Grey Worm. A life as a slave warrior trained to not have emotion fear etc. and he abandoned that in a heartbeat.

Dany is concerned about the throne - nothing else and her entire story arc has told us she is ruthless to that end. She is now queen of the 7 kingdoms so there are LOTS of people left in the known world to rule (and burn of need be).
I don't know about Grey Worm. The whole story arc on the unsullied since Dany freed them was them losing some of the trappings of their brutal upbringing and allowing themselves to reclaim some of their humanity. Grey Worm's romance with missandei is a perfect example of this. And with her taken from him, he's having a very emotional response, which sort of continues that story arc as I see it.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Agree about Grey Worm. A life as a slave warrior trained to not have emotion fear etc. and he abandoned that in a heartbeat.

Dany is concerned about the throne - nothing else and her entire story arc has told us she is ruthless to that end. She is now queen of the 7 kingdoms so there are LOTS of people left in the known world to rule (and burn of need be).

Disagree here. He and Missandei's romance started a long time ago. He said in season 7 that he now knows fear (fear of not seeing Missandei of Naath again). We had never seen him react like this before, but that doesn't mean it was out of character. It was the first time he had ever lost someone who he deeply loved; we really had no way of knowing what would be "in character" for him after her death, because what she meant to him and her death were both completely unprecedented things/events in his life.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloned4Life

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I don't know about Grey Worm. The whole story arc on the unsullied since Dany freed them was them losing some of the trappings of their brutal upbringing and allowing themselves to reclaim some of their humanity. Grey Worm's romance with missandei is a perfect example of this. And with her taken from him, he's having a very emotional response, which sort of continues that story arc as I see it.

Maybe he is just reverting to his true self like Jamie. Grey Worm is a trained blood-thirty killer - raised and trained that way and while he "strayed" he ended up as he started. Jaime as well but I hated the "tease" that he was turning good.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I had been ok with the season but disappointed with some of the decisions so far. After tonight I just flat out don't like it. They went too far with the whole mad queen thing. I knew that's where they were going. That was obvious. But still, they didn't have to have her burn the whole city and have her army suddenly turn in to rapers and murderers of women and children. It makes no sense. They could have gotten there but they needed a couple more seasons. The way it has played out seems totally forced and unearned. They started rushing through the whole thing last season and the show has suffered greatly for it.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Nobody in power surrendered. Dragon fire was going off because troops entered the city. They entered the city to fight Cersei's army and to kill Cersei. You could re-write the entire series and eliminate all the stupid decisions that lead to this, but those people were dead. Cersei would not surrender and leave the city and its people - she demonstrated that when she killed all those people a few seasons ago. A little over the top? Sure but fake war in fairy land is hell.

Whatever happens in the rest of this thread, we should all take a moment and appreciate the best sentence the Internet will have in quite some time.

Get that man a medal or something!

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
They've been hinting at it since the beginning of the series, I mean they even point out a few of the instances in the after show discussion. Obviously it's gone into overdrive of the last couple seasons, but the idea that she was unhinged didn't just show up.
Nope
Impulsive, felt the need to use a heavy hand, yes but unhinges, not even close but good try.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
At this point, I'm only watching the finale to say I made it to the end. I'm ******* furious. The ONLY part of this episode that I was happy with was Arya/CleganeBowl. Cersei's death was lame as ****, and I'll never forgive the writers for just throwing years of outstanding character development out the ******* window with Jaime.

Me too. Who is going to be a good ruler?

Dany is apparently going to burn everyone past sense.

Jon is flat out stupid.

Tyrion is also now stupid

Sansa is Cersei apparently.

I don’t even care at this point. Whoever sits it won’t deserve it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm pretty sure he's just straight up trolling by this point.

Actually no. I'm firmly behind her exploits in this TV show because it's a TV show and there are no "right" answers. If we all liked the same characters for the same reasons I'd be disappointed. The entire series has set these characters up as way more complex than good or bad, mad or sane, competent or not. Is Dany bad? Is Jon good? Arya? Sansa? I've wanted Cersei to die from day one. Same with Sansa - can't stand her character.

Probably a win for the show that it creates a WIDE swath of like/dislike for a GIANT cast of fatally flawed characters.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
kwevpltw3wx21.png

It all makes sense now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think there's a certain "come full circle" that Varys ended up dying in a very similar circumstance to how Ned Stark died - treason. Or, at least, treason by trying to inform the public that there was someone with a better claim to the Iron Throne (Stannis Baratheon for Ned; Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen for Varys).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Maybe he is just reverting to his true self like Jamie. Grey Worm is a trained blood-thirty killer - raised and trained that way and while he "strayed" he ended up as he started. Jaime as well but I hated the "tease" that he was turning good.
Sorry, you're 100% wrong on this. The Unsullied are the exact opposite of bloodthirsty. That's why they are such valued soldiers. They don't kill for fun. They don't rape and pillage. They don't act out of emotion. That's their whole schtick. Cold blooded? Sure. Bloodthirsty? Not even a little. Grey Worm's actions are absolutely NOT a reversion to his training.

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Jaime's arc was hardly a tease. They had been building on that for most of the series, only to yank the chair out at the last second. That's cheap, lazy writing.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Whatever happens in the rest of this thread, we should all take a moment and appreciate the best sentence the Internet will have in quite some time.

Get that man a medal or something!

I'm blushing!

And I'm not making fun of it because it's obvious through 2,500 posts on this thread we ALL got so many different things from this show. I won't criticize the writing as 95% of this show has been stellar over 10 YEARS.

At the end, whomever has the power is flawed and maybe that's the over-arching story lesson - the quest for power is corrupting and goodness does not prevail.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Me too. Who is going to be a good ruler?

Dany is apparently going to burn everyone past sense.

Jon is flat out stupid.

Tyrion is also now stupid

Sansa is Cersei apparently.

I don’t even care at this point. Whoever sits it won’t deserve it.

Maybe the whole point is “things can change, but they stay the same?”