Game of Thrones Season 8

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
All Dany really need do is to burn the Red Keep. Not the entire city. Make Cersei live among the smallfolk, who'd likely riot again and kill her.
But she brought the "smallfolk" into the Red Keep to "protect" them (or use them as human shields.)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sacking a city is not "mad" in Westeros it is pretty much expected, and innocents always die in in a sack. So is it mad? I don't think so, it's terrible, but i just don't blame Dany for that.
So you think she is going to kill a bunch of innocent people without repercussions despite all the discussions between Varys and Tyrion and all the build up to the contrary. Ok.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
But she brought the "smallfolk" into the Red Keep to "protect" them (or use them as human shields.)

I have a real issue with that. First, who goes into the red keep knowing that a Dragon is likely burning it? No one. The fix for this is to have Cersei forcing them in, because logically anyone who could would flee King's Landing unless restrained. I'd buy that, and it really forces Dany's hand even more knowing that.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
So you think she is going to kill a bunch of innocent people without repercussions despite all the discussions between Varys and Tyrion and all the build up to the contrary. Ok.

She has a Dragon, so yeah. The foundation of Westerosi hierarchy is based on violence, and the smallfolk have no power at all. Dany even considering not doing it is an improvement.

For instance, when Arya released the three Night's Watch prisoners(Biter, Jaqen H'gar and Rorge I think) the Lannisters were burning innocent people inside a holdfast.

Really, they don't have time, but Dany and her army could simply bide their time and starve the city until it becomes too unstable for Cersei to hold, but that isn't great cinema.

• Agree
Reactions: State43

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The problem with your premise is that few (if any) are saying that Dany is mad and Cersei is not. Personally, I think both have serious issues; Dany has simply been controlled by others more than Cersei has. The stronger Dany grows, the less she listens to counsel. And that is her downfall.
Frankly, NEITHER would be a good ruler.
Listening to her council got her westeros allies killed, dragon and Missande killed, her city of Maureen attacked. Stop acting like council has had all the benefits. Lets examine when she ignored council and followed her own heart/gut.
Burned herself with the dragon eggs to become the Mother of dragons.
Earned the undying loyalty of the unsullied by freeing them from slavery.
Destroyed the Dothraki leaders to become the sole Kal instead of a slave wife.
Ignored Tyrion's concern and attacked the Lanister army on their march back from High Garden earning one of their only victories since naming him hand in the first place. She isn't perfect and has a problem when it comes to forcing her hand vs winning over the Westeros people but there hasn't been time to develop that opportunity. I hope Jon helps her rather than let her spiral into the ground.

Arya is going to take one of Qyburns little birds faces. Kill him as the little bird, take his face, then kill cersei as they watch the mountain get defeated by the hound in CleganeBowl.
If only. I just don't think they will let Arya get all the good kills despite it being the best play the North has against her.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Okay, I am only on Page 90 right now. Why doesn't Dany just bend the knee to Jon? That is a very legitimate option? He may not want it but it is his birthright. The fact that people don't see her going down a mad Queen path from the time she gets dragons, is just watching with blinders on. She has been a poor ruler always, only once Tyrion got to her did she improve, and she only improved because she allowed others to influence her. She has always allowed her emotions to get the better of her. Tyrion doesn't say it, but he implies Jon would be the better ruler, and that isn't just based on the most recent events. Tyrion and Jon spend a lot of time together in the beginning.

Sansa is playing the game that Dany refuses to play. Can typically on this show, you get rewarded for it. Those that refuse to play the game die. And short of taking Kingslanding Dany has run her course. If she survives to the end I would be disappointed at this point.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
That is a possibility, but what a god awful possibility. The kingdom would be in ruin in a matter of years.

1. The kingdom is already in ruin. How many noble houses are left in Westeros? Most of them in the North have been wiped out - the Boltons, the Karstarks, the Mormonts off the top of my head are gone, as will the Starks be as there are no male heirs left in their line. In the Riverlands the Freys are gone, as are the Tullys for all intents and purposes. In the Reach the Tyrells and Tarleys as well as others are gone. The Baratheons were gone until Gendry was legitimatized. The Martells are in disarray. The Greyjoys seem intent on killing each other off. And it’s not like the “red” Lannisters are doing that great, either.

2. How exactly is Gendry a worse option than Cersei, Dany, or Jon?

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
He's the only one where I can envision a peaceful kingdom. But it seems a little to convenient to end that way.

I think he'd fail in KL for similar reasons to Ned.

He's an honorable man, and through todays lens sure we like that. But a ruler in westeros has to be able to have the ability to be ruthless at times in a brutal, ruthless world.

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The writers may make it a bigger deal than it should be. It seems likely the writers are forcing us in a direction that many of us see as not right with her character (unfairly panting her as 'mad') But itd be far from the first example of the writing being pretty poor lately.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
1. The kingdom is already in ruin. How many noble houses are left in Westeros? Most of them in the North have been wiped out - the Boltons, the Karstarks, the Mormonts off the top of my head are gone, as will the Starks be as there are no male heirs left in their line. In the Riverlands the Freys are gone, as are the Tullys for all intents and purposes. In the Reach the Tyrells and Tarleys as well as others are gone. The Baratheons were gone until Gendry was legitimatized. The Martells are in disarray. The Greyjoys seem intent on killing each other off. And it’s not like the “red” Lannisters are doing that great, either.

The only problem I have with this is that Dany needs to actually be on the throne for her proclamations to have any legitimacy.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I don't believe the Karstarks are all gone. Maybe you are thinking of the Umbers at Last Hearth.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Okay, I am only on Page 90 right now. Why doesn't Dany just bend the knee to Jon? That is a very legitimate option? He may not want it but it is his birthright. The fact that people don't see her going down a mad Queen path from the time she gets dragons, is just watching with blinders on. She has been a poor ruler always, only once Tyrion got to her did she improve, and she only improved because she allowed others to influence her. She has always allowed her emotions to get the better of her. Tyrion doesn't say it, but he implies Jon would be the better ruler, and that isn't just based on the most recent events. Tyrion and Jon spend a lot of time together in the beginning.

Sansa is playing the game that Dany refuses to play. Can typically on this show, you get rewarded for it. Those that refuse to play the game die. And short of taking Kingslanding Dany has run her course. If she survives to the end I would be disappointed at this point.

Her own personal pride won’t allow her to do it. From the moment Khal Drogo “crowned” Viserys she has considered herself the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, and she has struggled and sacrificed a lot to get to this point, only to find out that, in fact, she has a long lost nephew that has a better claim to the throne. It’s the same reason why every time Tyrion asks Varys why they can’t rule together, Varys says no - Dany won’t allow it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The writers may make it a bigger deal than it should be. It seems likely the writers are forcing us in a direction that many of us see as not right with her character (unfairly panting her as 'mad') But itd be far from the first example of the writing being pretty poor lately.
True. They spent almost the whole show building the narrative that the game of thrones was simply a distraction from the true threat of the NK and WW, and eventually all would have to unite against that threat or die. They then preceded to completely undercut that narrative this season.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The only problem I have with this is that Dany needs to actually be on the throne for her proclamations to have any legitimacy.

This is true (although if Jon were to take the throne or in rejecting it I don’t think he’d overrule it - he seemed in favor of it. The only person that would oppose it would be Cersei, and she’d just be mad that he slipped through her fingers in the first place). But it just strengthens my point - without Gendry’s legitimization the Baratheons are gone too.

• Friendly
Reactions: clone34