Game of Thrones Season 8

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
wz3am5t7pmz21.jpg

I hope this isn't too controversial, if it is, mod please delete. I just love Pulp Fiction.

Reactions: State43

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Valid points. I hated the Tyrion/Penny thing too. GRRM weakness is getting TOO deep into some inconsequential story lines. Perhaps I should back off my Sansa "cares about the people," mantra, and state it more like, she knows what good leaders do, which is take care of their people. If her goal is to be queen in the north, she knows that she wouldn't get it without earning the support of northerners, who don't give the fealty easy. Caring about whether they have food, shelter, protection, rest before battle, in the end, is what a good leader would do, regardless of motivation. I enjoyed Dany in the books a lot more. Arya maybe had the same upbringing, but she was clearly interested in other things.

I think you nailed it. Sansa is good at the long-game, Dany is good at being a dynamic/motivational leader.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
As far as the prequels, I honestly have no interest, but I'm 90% sure they'll be better than the Tolkien inspired Young Aragorn that will air on Prime that Amazon spent 250 million on.

I don't know, Amazon shows like The Man in the High Castle are superb. I now really wish they'd have done the show instead of HBO.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I don't know, Amazon shows like The Man in the High Castle are superb. I now really wish they'd have done the show instead of HBO.

Amazon has some very high quality original shows, but IMO not enough to make me subscribe to Prime without the other prime benefits. Sneaky Pete, Transparent and Goliath are awesome shows imo, but no where near the quantity of quality content of HBO or Neftlix.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Amazon has some very high quality original shows, but IMO not enough to make me subscribe to Prime without the other prime benefits. Sneaky Pete, Transparent and Goliath are awesome shows imo, but no where near the quantity of quality content of HBO or Neftlix.

Not yet maybe, but their budgets have to be going up. They got Bryan Cogman for their LOTR show and $250m budget.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Can you read? All i stated was that i thought it was a huge wasted opportunity to have 1 of the most popular characters in the series go through intense training and almost die learning a skill she used a couple times and 1 of them on an 80 year old man. How don't you use that this season? Unforgivable as far as I'm concerned.

My wife and I both thought that a great little twist would have been when Tyrion found Jamie and Cersi under the bricks - he pulled back Jamie's face to find Arya.

Because you are right, there was A LOT of wasted storyline on Arya and the faceless man for it to not really go anywhere.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
My wife and I both thought that a great little twist would have been when Tyrion found Jamie and Cersi under the bricks - he pulled back Jamie's face to find Arya.

Because you are right, there was A LOT of wasted storyline on Arya and the faceless man for it to not really go anywhere.

how about pull back the bricks and find no Jamie, just Cersie and a gold hand and Jamie's face skin....

honestly, I wasn't terribly happy that Cersei got to go out being comforted

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

It didn't go anywhere? She avenged her family's death with Walder Frey's face.

If they go to the faceless man well too many times, it loses its impact, and it's really corny.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I've never liked Sansa because she was a total pain in the ass in the books, especially early on - SO MUCH WHINING. All of the mooning over Joffrey, and diming out Ned which led to him being killed. I also don't like Cat, because her inability to mother all of her children and think with logic rather than emotions helped start a war.

However, I always liked Dany. It has nothing to do with being a girl for any of these characters, and Dany just used the resources available to her to learn more and make more of herself rather than whine. She's just far more likable.

I watched the show first. Just started the books. I haven't caught the whining as much as she's a proper highborn lady in training. Her interaction with the Hound on their way back from the tournament after party was fantastic.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If/when GRRM finishes and publishes the entire book series, would you watch an animated tv series using mostly/only source material from start to finish?

No visual effects budget constraints, no actors out-aging the characters, no actors looking to move on to other projects, take as long as story needs without rushing to an end.

• Agree
Reactions: ThatllDoCy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If/when GRRM finishes and publishes the entire book series, would you watch an animated tv series using mostly/only source material from start to finish?

No visual effects budget constraints, no actors out-aging the characters, no actors looking to move on to other projects, take as long as story needs without rushing to an end.

Interesting idea. So, sort of like this, but with incest?

p45029_v_v8_aa.jpg

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It didn't go anywhere? She avenged her family's death with Walder Frey's face.

If they go to the faceless man well too many times, it loses its impact, and it's really corny.
That, and her storyline was not about becoming a faceless man. It was about realizing that she was, in fact, Arya Stark and nothing could change that. Her devotion to her protecting/avenging her family members propelled her through the last few seasons (Killing the Freys, Going to Winterfell to see Jon, Fighting/Killing the Night King) and now that her family is safe she is free to go do what she wants to do.

I always saw the house of black and white as Arya's training to become the killer she is today, and never expected her to go full-faceless man. The fact that Arya trained to essentially completion with them, and then said **** you I'm Arya Stark, should have been the kicker that it wasn't about the abilities they have with faces, but that they are renowned for being some of (if not the) best assassins in the world and she just learned from them. It would have been cool to see her do it one more time, even though the final time we saw her use the ability was about as bad ass as it got in this show.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
100% agree with everything. On reflection, I think people will come around on even the final seasons of GoT. We got the ending of a beloved story. Closure is a good thing ultimately even if it isn't exactly what people wanted.

And I 100% agree with the books. People overrate the books tremendously. You want to know the real problem with the show? It's the same in the books, he gave us people and places in later seasons that people did not care about and don't effect the story. We spend how long in Mereen? What was the point of Dorne? Why did we need to spend so much time with the Iron Islanders? The books lost me due to these issues, and ultimately I think the show suffered. We spent wayyyyyy too much time in places and with people we don't care about. The core characters, the Starks, Lannisters, Baratheons from the first 3 books and 3 seasons are the core of the show, and expanding beyond them didn't help advance the story.

It's like Lost Season 3. We didn't need or want these people, and their inclusion only took us away from the people we really care about.

0.jpg

Man, I loved LOST.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yes, but it still defies logic having that ability and not using it.

When specifically should she have used it in the last season that would have made a big difference or would even have made sense in the context of the story? I can’t see a time. It wouldn’t have helped her get to Cersei, and she did not attempt to kill Dany. Wouldn’t have helped her against the Night King.

So what other conflict should she have used it in?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I watched the show first. Just started the books. I haven't caught the whining as much as she's a proper highborn lady in training. Her interaction with the Hound on their way back from the tournament after party was fantastic.

I agree and think it is way overstated. You are reading the perspective of a 13 year old lady. It is going to be much different than Tyrion, Jamie, Ned, etc.

Hell Jon was plenty emo early in the books. And it made sense he was a 15 or 16 year old teenager at the beginning.