Game of Thrones Season 8

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, are Jamie and Cersei really dead? I kind of hope they are, because I think it would be really cheap to bring them back to life after having had about 10 tons of rubble fall on top of them, but at the same time if they are in fact gone from Westeros that was a pretty anti-climatic way to go out for two of the biggest characters in the whole series.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Oh boy, I hope that wasn't the intention. They haven't been building towards that at all. They've been using her desperation for the throne as the reason, just snapping when the battle was clearly won is out of nowhere.

They've been hinting at it since the beginning of the series, I mean they even point out a few of the instances in the after show discussion. Obviously it's gone into overdrive of the last couple seasons, but the idea that she was unhinged didn't just show up.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You're using that as an example of her madness? Seriously?

Literally any other character on the show would have killed her for that too.
I'm using it as an example of perspective. As the viewer, we've been set up to side with Dany. We justify a lot of her actions because we get to see her motivations. That doesn't mean that it's the only way to see them.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Nobody in power surrendered. Dragon fire was going off because troops entered the city. They entered the city to fight Cersei's army and to kill Cersei. You could re-write the entire series and eliminate all the stupid decisions that lead to this, but those people were dead. Cersei would not surrender and leave the city and its people - she demonstrated that when she killed all those people a few seasons ago. A little over the top? Sure but fake war in fairy land is hell.

This makes no sense, the battle was over. No one was going to slaughter a city, or had the capability, until she snapped.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The Dany thing is absolutely in keeping with her past - the wizards, Mereen, the Dothraki, the witch who effectively killed Drogo. She is ruthless against her enemies and those who don’t bow to her rule - which, by the way, has only been her design since her husband melted her brother’s head. The city was standing by Cersei by not evacuating, in Dany’s eyes (that had just recently lost Jorah and another dragon and Missandei, as well as been betrayed by Varys and with Jon not obeying her and then refusing to bone his aunt again). She was riddled with grief and anger, and has never exactly been known for moderating those emotions. When she lost Drogo, she walked into a fire.

If anything, I found Grey Worm losing his mind more out-of-character, even with his grief. He and Jon will battle next week. I think Arya will kill (or try to) Dany. I don’t think Tyrion survives. Not sure about Jon. I think the episode was logical - the only thing that disappointed me was Jaime losing all of that character development over the past few seasons. If there even is a monarchy at this point, I would guess Sansa or Gendry will rule.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This makes no sense, the battle was over. No one was going to slaughter a city, or had the capability, until she snapped.

He's going out of his way to justify mass murder. "The one person in power hadn't surrendered". Yeah, well, the power behind the one person in power was already dead or had surrendered. So in reality, how much power did that "one person in power" actually have at that point?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
And who all did Cersei have backing her up at that point? The Mountain and Qyburn. That's it. Her navy was dead and her army surrendered. She's a dead woman waiting her fate in the Keep.

And that was known to the tens of thousands of Dany and her army HOW? I honestly thought the bell plot line was going to be a set-up and Jon would once again make a battlefield blunder and they would be decimated again.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Dany also fulfilled the prophecy that she saw in the House of the Undying, where she approaches the Iron Throne in ruins (but she never sits in it).

I was more dumbfounded with Arya’s “thank you” moment compared to anything Dany did this episode. Arya spent 8 seasons wanting to kill Cersei and she just gives up because the Hound told her to? “You don’t want to end up like me” - She helped you mow down those Lannister soldiers in the Tavern and then left you for dead, which is right out of your book Clegane. That was weak writing and deserved better.

Unless Arya does something next week, her whole journey to King's Landing was pointless. Also my wife and I felt she had a Gandalf moment where there was a white horse just randomly showing up for her with the death and destruction around it.

Reactions: Angie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So, are Jamie and Cersei really dead? I kind of hope they are, because I think it would be really cheap to bring them back to life after having had about 10 tons of rubble fall on top of them, but at the same time if they are in fact gone from Westeros that was a pretty anti-climatic way to go out for two of the biggest characters in the whole series.

I was predicting they would die in each others arms but my Disney self wanted him to kill her than kill himself. Her death was anti-climatic and maybe its in line with the early shock value of killing beloved characters in that you end up with zero satisfaction after 8 seasons of trying to kill her.

Reactions: runbikeswim

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He's going out of his way to justify mass murder. "The one person in power hadn't surrendered". Yeah, well, the power behind the one person in power was already dead or had surrendered. So in reality, how much power did that "one person in power" actually have at that point?

Tens of thousands of soldiers sacking the city from different gate breaches. They might not have gotten the "stop" tweet.

Kill 'em all and let the many faced god sort 'em out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The Dany thing is absolutely in keeping with her past - the wizards, Mereen, the Dothraki, the witch who effectively killed Drogo. She is ruthless against her enemies and those who don’t bow to her rule - which, by the way, has only been her design since her husband melted her brother’s head. The city was standing by Cersei by not evacuating, in Dany’s Eyes (that had just recently lost Jorah and another dragon and Missandei, as well as been betrayed by Varys and with Jon not obeying her and then boning his aunt). She was riddled with grief and anger, and has never exactly been known for moderating those emotions. When she lost Drogo, she went into a fire.

If anything, I found Grey worm losing his mind more out-of-character, even with his grief. He and Jon will battle next week. I think Arya will kill (or try to) Dany. I don’t think Tyrion survives. Not sure about Jon. I think the episode was logical - the only thing that disappointed me was Jaime losing all of that character development over the past few seasons. If there even is a monarchy at this point, I would guess Sansa or Gendry will rule.

I agree with this - they have been setting this up for the entire series, but up to this point have made her look justified, or at least sympathetic, in the process. The shock and awe in this episode is there was nothing justified or sympathetic about Dany's actions in this entire episode. In character? Sure - we've been turning a blind eye for the last several seasons about her capacity to do this, especially the way she conquered Slaver's Bay. But just because it was in character doesn't mean she was justified in doing it, and there's certainly nothing sympathetic about her at this point.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
At this point, I'm only watching the finale to say I made it to the end. I'm ******* furious. The ONLY part of this episode that I was happy with was Arya/CleganeBowl. Cersei's death was lame as ****, and I'll never forgive the writers for just throwing years of outstanding character development out the ******* window with Jaime.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Tens of thousands of soldiers sacking the city from different gate breaches. They might not have gotten the "stop" tweet.

Kill 'em all and let the many faced god sort 'em out.

So we're going to ensure the Lannister army has surrendered by torching the civilians nowhere near the Lannister army. Brilliant plan by a sane leader.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I agree with this - they have been setting this up for the entire series, but up to this point have made her look justified, or at least sympathetic, in the process. The shock and awe in this episode is there was nothing justified or sympathetic about Dany's actions in this entire episode. In character? Sure - we've been turning a blind eye for the last several seasons about her capacity to do this, especially the way she conquered Slaver's Bay. But just because it was in character doesn't mean she was justified in doing it, and there's certainly nothing sympathetic about her at this point.

I am definitely not saying there was anything justified or sympathetic. I am saying that is due to our change in perspective, not an inconsistency in the character. She does not regulate her emotions well, and she just had several huge losses on each others’ backs. Bigger losses = bigger reaction.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Dany also fulfilled the prophecy that she saw in the House of the Undying, where she approaches the Iron Throne in ruins (but she never sits in it).

I was more dumbfounded with Arya’s “thank you” moment compared to anything Dany did this episode. Arya spent 8 seasons wanting to kill Cersei and she just gives up because the Hound told her to? “You don’t want to end up like me” - She helped you mow down those Lannister soldiers in the Tavern and then left you for dead, which is right out of your book Clegane. That was weak writing and deserved better.

The EW.com recap (Entertainment Weekly) goes into your first part pretty well. I'll link it at the end.

I have disagree about Arya's arc; I know there's been a lot of discussion about the character development arc of Jamie, and how going back to Cersei and dying with her totally ruined the point of all that, and while I don't disagree with that, I have to wonder if the character arc D&D really have in mind is that of Arya's.

She's a "good character", but right up until now (well, starting when her father's head got chopped off), her whole motivation has been getting revenge, whether that's justified or not. Now, she realizes that there is more to life than just that, thanks to one last pep talk from Sandor. Now, I do realize that earlier in the thread I've advocated for her to take out Dany in the finale, but I honestly do think that would be more about justice for the innocents slaughtered than revenge for the sake of revenge, as well as to make sure the Mad Queen can't torch any more innocents.

https://ew.com/recap/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-5/

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The Dany thing is absolutely in keeping with her past - the wizards, Mereen, the Dothraki, the witch who effectively killed Drogo. She is ruthless against her enemies and those who don’t bow to her rule - which, by the way, has only been her design since her husband melted her brother’s head. The city was standing by Cersei by not evacuating, in Dany’s Eyes (that had just recently lost Jorah and another dragon and Missandei, as well as been betrayed by Varys and with Jon not obeying her and then boning his aunt). She was riddled with grief and anger, and has never exactly been known for moderating those emotions. When she lost Drogo, she went into a fire.

If anything, I found Grey worm losing his mind more out-of-character, even with his grief. He and Jon will battle next week. I think Arya will kill (or try to) Dany. I don’t think Tyrion survives. Not sure about Jon. I think the episode was logical - the only thing that disappointed me was Jaime losing all of that character development over the past few seasons. If there even is a monarchy at this point, I would guess Sansa or Gendry will rule.

Agree about Grey Worm. A life as a slave warrior trained to not have emotion fear etc. and he abandoned that in a heartbeat.

Dany is concerned about the throne - nothing else and her entire story arc has told us she is ruthless to that end. She is now queen of the 7 kingdoms so there are LOTS of people left in the known world to rule (and burn of need be).

• Agree
Reactions: Angie