Gabe Kalscheur officially back for next year

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I wasnt the biggest fan either. I didn't understand why he got so much playing time in light of his shooting and turnover woes. The playing time decision wasn't his responsibility of course. Hopefully the coaches have better chess pieces to work with next season and Gabe embraces what might be a smaller role in terms of playing time but a larger role in terms of leadership.

Absolutely agree with this. Not a big fan last year as well. But I will say this about Gabe, his defensive effort was consistent most of the time. Scoring, when he was hot he was hot, when he was not, he was not. Extremely streaky in that regard. Seems like he would let a bad shot ruin his whole game effort, instead of forgetting about it and driving on. That was what I was reading anyway. His leadership will be needed!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I really want Gabe to succeed. He seems to love Iowa State and was a HUGE piece on a Sweet 16 run.

I have no interest in him shooting over 100 3's next season. He needs to get downhill first and find the post where he can bully smaller guards with his size, IQ and take closer more high percentage shots.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Devils advocate here: He had the worst Box +/- on the team by a huge margin, the only player on the team with an negative one in fact. There is certainly evidence out there to suggest that 99% of the time figure is overblown.
I've got a box plus minus for ya...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I really want Gabe to succeed. He seems to love Iowa State and was a HUGE piece on a Sweet 16 run.

I have no interest in him shooting over 100 3's next season. He needs to get downhill first and find the post where he can bully smaller guards with his size, IQ and take closer more high percentage shots.
Yes. It took Nader a bit to do that but he was great at it.

Reactions: Cjreimer

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Absolutely agree with this. Not a big fan last year as well. But I will say this about Gabe, his defensive effort was consistent most of the time. Scoring, when he was hot he was hot, when he was not, he was not. Extremely streaky in that regard. Seems like he would let a bad shot ruin his whole game effort, instead of forgetting about it and driving on. That was what I was reading anyway. His leadership will be needed!

Team was pretty thin last year. Not exactly many upgrades riding the bench. As the season went on it became pretty obvious why TJ was stressing D so hard, and gabe is good at that (and actually decent inside the arc as far as shooting goes)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Team was pretty thin last year. Not exactly many upgrades riding the bench. As the season went on it became pretty obvious why TJ was stressing D so hard, and gabe is good at that (and actually decent inside the arc as far as shooting goes)

The amount of CFers that wanted several players to not play this past season was astounding.

There was some sort of alternate reality they live in where you just plug someone in like it's Kentucky 2015.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
still the worst shot misser I have ever seen at the D-1 level, but if he can work in that midrange going forward along with his defense, I’ll take that all day long.

Dude, that award is NAMED AFTER Prentiss Nixon. At least most of Gabe's shots had a consistent stroke.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
True ... during a few stretches, some had us reduced to a 3-player lineup.

In fairness, I think a lot of that was reaching for any alternative for what was obviously not working any given night.

Plus, there wasn't a lot of separation between a bunch of players, so everyone had their favorites. Other than Hunter and IZB, what you got out of 3-8 was pretty much just different versions of the same bologna sandwich - flashes of great but with glaring weaknesses too.

Reactions: cyclones500

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Jerry can tell ya all about that...

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Devils advocate here: He had the worst Box +/- on the team by a huge margin, the only player on the team with an negative one in fact. There is certainly evidence out there to suggest that 99% of the time figure is overblown.
I've done a deeper dive earlier on this off-season and Gabe was very much an outlier in the B12 as far as inefficiency and volume were concerned. Analytics absolutely hate how he played last year.

That said, the loss of Hunter makes retaining Gabe a very good thing for next season IMO. We know what he brings defensively and should be a big part in carrying over the effort and communication on that end that was such a strength last season.

Offensively, I'm not expecting anything and just hoping for less volume. If he improves enough to become even average on that end it will be a big bonus.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've done a deeper dive earlier on this off-season and Gabe was very much an outlier in the B12 as far as inefficiency and volume were concerned. Analytics absolutely hate how he played last year.

That said, the loss of Hunter makes retaining Gabe a very good thing for next season IMO. We know what he brings defensively and should be a big part in carrying over the effort and communication on that end that was such a strength last season.

Offensively, I'm not expecting anything and just hoping for less volume. If he improves enough to become even average on that end it will be a big bonus.
Hopefully we are at a point where he doesn't feel like he has to take tough threes next year. I think he took shots he didn't even want him to take last year because the team was struggling to score so much.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Gabe was so good last summer that TJ said he wanted him to "hunt his shot like Steph Curry." If he can even get to 33% from 3 it will go a long way next year. We know the defense will be there.
That's what I heard too, he was like the best player on the court at all times in the summer last year.

Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's what I heard too, he was like the best player on the court at all times in the summer last year.
Maybe he would benefit from a sports psychologist. I'm not kidding or trying to be mean. If he has some form of performance anxiety under the bright lights a sports psychologist might be able to help be the best version of himself.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
I think a year under Gabe's belt at ISU is going to help him a ton this coming season.

He is a mental player (you can tell) and certainly has the capabilities (30 pts vs Memphis, 22 vs Texas, 18 vs Baylor and 22 vs Wisco - all were tourney teams). His defense will always be there and I really was impressed by his mid range creativity and shot making (inside the arc lol).

I really do think the extra year of 'normalcy' and continuity will help him 3-pt shooting wise. Either way, he is a starter returning and that is always a plus. Great news.

Reactions: Stormin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron